Four OT's signed since 2017?

Mikey

"Freeze has now had the same number of offensive tackles sign with him the past three weeks (four total) than auburn has had in total since 2017."

This was posted in an article in the football forum. Credited to some poster on another board named "Barstool" or similar.  It's SUCH a good story. Sigh, if only it were true. The OL recruiting is bad enough. There is no need to make up lies about it.

Source, RIVALS. They list all OL players as OL. Click on the player's name and see the actual position. Offensive tackles signed by Auburn since 2017:

2019-Osborne

2020_ Coffee, Wright, Zierer

2021-Smith, Langlo

2022-Harris

That's seven. Seven may well be insufficient but it's a long way from four.

Edit: Since Freeze got credit for transfers, let's add 2018 transfer OT Jack Driskoll. That makes eight. There may have been more transfers, but I think the point has been proven.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 3

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

"Freeze has now had the same number of offensive tackles sign with him the past three weeks (four total) than auburn has had in total since 2017."

This was posted in an article in the football forum. Credited to some poster on another board named "Barstool" or similar.  It's SUCH a good story. Sigh, if only it were true. The OL recruiting is bad enough. There is no need to make up lies about it.

Source, RIVALS. They list all OL players as OL. Click on the player's name and see the actual position. Offensive tackles signed by Auburn since 2017:

2019-Osborne

2021-Smith, Langlo

2022-Harris

Made a similar post in the Donor forum a couple hours ago.  I missed Langlo.  247 has some different assumptions.  Osborne and Wright are OGs in 247, however, they count Stutts as an OT.  As Meta pointed out, Wright came as an OG prior to his DL move.

I agree with you that it’s a false statement, but it’s not far off.  Gus really blew it in 2018…12th ranked class on Rivals and no OTs.  What was he thinking?

Still hard to fathom Harsin secured no OTs in the portal in 2 years.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, AUDevil said:

Made a similar post in the Donor forum a couple hours ago.  I missed Langlo.  247 has some different assumptions.  Osborne and Wright are OGs in 247, however, they lost Stutts as an OT.  As Meta pointed out, Wright came as an OG prior to his DL move.

I agree with you that it’s a false statement, but it’s not far off.  Gus really blew it in 2018…12th ranked class on Rivals and no OTs.  What was he thinking?

Still hard to fathom Harsin secured no OTs in the portal in 2 years.

It's actually harder for me to fathom Harsin could secure anyone at this point. But yes, Gus not signing anyone in 2018 is mind-blowing.

And the "OL" we did end up actually getting were not talented at all. Our evaluation of OL talent has been horrid since after the TT days. Horrid may be too harsh, to be nice to the snowflakes I will say "Average evaluations at best" Some good ones, but mostly average ones. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

You failed to mention not all of the HS tackles were recruited AS tackles to Auburn, but were intended to be guards.  And one ended up a defensive lineman. 

I mean since we are talking about people posting falsehoods and all.  I’m sure you just forgot to mention that.  No one on here would EVER post anything slanted to fit their narrative. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

37 minutes ago, bigbird said:

How anyone still tries to defend the s*** show that has been our OL recruiting since 2016 is beyond me.  Just. Stupid.

I mean look at the source.  He's still beating this drum.  Such an unnecessary thread. Purely ego stroking because he is still butthurt for how bad everyone ragged on him for supporting Gus for waaaay too long.

Also, everyone don't feed the troll, he wants people in here attacking this take or he wouldn't have posted it at all.  Pot stirrer through and through.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

And the "OL" we did end up actually getting were not talented at all. Our evaluation of OL talent has been horrid since after the TT days. Horrid may be too harsh, to be nice to the snowflakes I will say "Average evaluations at best" Some good ones, but mostly average ones. 

Horrid since Jeff Grimes left.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Horrid since Jeff Grimes left.

Offensive line recruiting is one of the two things that made me stop following AU recruiting that much, it just became too depressing.

The other was Rashaan Evans.  His grandpa’s birthday party and the dance off broke me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AEAugirl said:

Offensive line recruiting is one of the two things that made me stop following AU recruiting that much, it just became too depressing.

The other was Rashaan Evans.  His grandpa’s birthday party and the dance off broke me. 

Those poor beat writers writing article after article on prospects they knew were never coming here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

How anyone still tries to defend the s*** show that has been our OL recruiting since 2016 is beyond me.  Just. Stupid.

It's almost like:  

Talking To A Wall GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Coffey and Zierer were indeed OTs…..each weighing about 265 pounds. The whole point of signing JUCOs is immediate help. 3 years after signing and 5 years after HS, one of the two was actually the weight of a legit SEC OT. And that was only because of an extra Covid year. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

may well be insufficient 

You nailed it man!

A BIG thumbs down for insufficiency, inadequacy and downright ignoring a huge area of need from TWO coaching staffs who left Auburn as multi-millionaires.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

2019-Osborne

2021-Smith, Langlo

2022-Harris

Edit: Since Freeze got credit for transfers, let's add 2018 transfer OT Jack Driskoll. That makes eight. There may have been more transfers, but I think the point has been proven.

Where are the defenders now? Bunch of goobers. This pisses me off worse than The View. I’m a washed up athlete and I could have recruited better. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

Pointing out inaccuracy in a statement is not defending anything. It's revealing a falsehood.

10 hours ago, AUnCullman said:

And the "OL" we did end up actually getting were not talented at all.

That's beside the point. They could all have lost 150 lbs and become receivers. They were offensive tackles when they were signed, thus the claim of only four is false.

10 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

You failed to mention not all of the HS tackles were recruited AS tackles to Auburn, but were intended to be guards.  And one ended up a defensive lineman. 

That's beside the point. The claim was made that AU signed only four OT's over that time period. I listed eight.

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Coffey and Zierer were indeed OTs

As were the other six I listed and provided verification for.

All I addressed was the false statement that AU only signed four OT's over that time period. I did not speak to the quality, eventual position they may have played, intended use or anything else. The statement about four was false. I provided facts that prove that statement was false. End of story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Really, it didnt matter how many we did or didnt sign, it is just a mute point in the grand scheme of things. Evaluation of OL talent had not been addresed well under malzahn and Harsin. Regardless, they signed poor talent whether they had signed 30 or 8. They failed AU with their OL recruiting. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Really, it didnt matter how many we did or didnt sign, it is just a mute point in the grand scheme of things. Evaluation of OL talent had not been addresed well under malzahn and Harsin. Regardless, they signed poor talent whether they had signed 30 or 8. They failed AU with their OL recruiting. 

Did we even sign anyone that was truly wanted by another major program? Honest question because I don't remember and I'm not looking it up. What I do know that It's not hard to get leftovers when everyone else has already eaten. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Did we even sign anyone that was truly wanted by another major program? Honest question because I don't remember and I'm not looking it up. What I do know that It's not hard to get leftovers when everyone else has already eaten. 

Calvin Ashley 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pointing out inaccuracy in a statement is not defending anything. It's revealing a falsehood.

That's beside the point. They could all have lost 150 lbs and become receivers. They were offensive tackles when they were signed, thus the claim of only four is false.

That's beside the point. The claim was made that AU signed only four OT's over that time period. I listed eight.

All I addressed was the false statement that AU only signed four OT's over that time period. I did not speak to the quality, eventual position they may have played, intended use or anything else. The statement about four was false. I provided facts that prove that statement was false. End of story.

What's the point of this post... The first response does not argue against the falsehood of the facts. Facts are facts and everyone has agreed that OL recruiting was inept.... It grew under Gus and expounded under the previous staff. All acknowledge this. Do you?

And.. To be beside the point... TJ Finley could have been a great TE. L...No one is arguing against OL becoming receivers.... the point has and will continue to be made because of.. facts...OL recruiting was terrible. We aren't the folks that wrote the article and I get venting but going on and on could be more understandable and poignant if directed towards the author.

This will be my last post towards you because you lost your point when you tried to even the argument when you stopped advocating for LB recruiting which is also in dire need. Didn't that used to be your thing? Have a great season..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, woodford said:

Gus was a great Auburn man. Really cared about the program. 

Please tell me this is /s

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

ffff.gif.3a048a53b48ab2c8634be2ca9b57c9e4.gif