Four OT's signed since 2017?

Mikey

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Calvin Ashley 

oh yeah? I bet he was a big get for Auburn. Oh Big Yellow Bird of the Lake, remind me how many snaps he played for Auburn?

Edited by Didba

30 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

What's the point of this post... The first response does not argue against the falsehood of the facts. Facts are facts and everyone has agreed that OL recruiting was inept.... It grew under Gus and expounded under the previous staff. All acknowledge this. Do you?

And.. To be beside the point... TJ Finley could have been a great TE. L...No one is arguing against OL becoming receivers.... the point has and will continue to be made because of.. facts...OL recruiting was terrible. We aren't the folks that wrote the article and I get venting but going on and on could be more understandable and poignant if directed towards the author.

This will be my last post towards you because you lost your point when you tried to even the argument when you stopped advocating for LB recruiting which is also in dire need. Didn't that used to be your thing? Have a great season..

The point of the post is Mikey making a thinly veiled attempt at "I told you so".

• Like 2

Come on now.  How important are offensive linemen?  They don't score.  They don't keep the other team from scoring. 

All you really need are five big, dumb, mean animals.  Right?

When our defense couldn't tackle, we fixed it.  When the offense couldn't block,,, we ignored it.

BLOCKING, tackling, special teams,,, still the foundation, even with the changes to football.

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pointing out inaccuracy in a statement is not defending anything. It's revealing a falsehood.

That's beside the point. They could all have lost 150 lbs and become receivers. They were offensive tackles when they were signed, thus the claim of only four is false.

That's beside the point. The claim was made that AU signed only four OT's over that time period. I listed eight.

As were the other six I listed and provided verification for.

All I addressed was the false statement that AU only signed four OT's over that time period. I did not speak to the quality, eventual position they may have played, intended use or anything else. The statement about four was false. I provided facts that prove that statement was false. End of story.

If you are not a politician, you missed your calling.  I’ve never seen anyone try to spin some complete BS like you do. 

Full disclosure:  I didn't have to read the article referenced by the OP to know that past attempts at recruiting offensive TACKLES (not offensive linemen or long snappers) to come to AU has been terrible, dismal, putrid, pathetic, criminal, virtually non-existent ... or whatever adjective(s) you choose to describe it.  I also don't know which source the author of that article was using, but I have a good idea:  This Site

That site lists recruits & transfers all the way back to the year 2000 (just select the year.)  The offensive line recruits are listed as either offensive tackle (OT), offensive guard (OG), or inside offensive line (IOL).  Here are the numbers of OTs for the various years: 

2018  Kameron Stutts  (1)

2019   -----   (zero)

2020  Killian Zier, Brandon Coffey & Brandon Council  (3) 

2021  Colby Smith  (1) 

2022  Eston Harris  (1) 

2023   Izavion Miller, Tyler Johnson, Gunner Britton, Dillon Wade  (4 so far)   

I can forgive a sportswriter for gushing about Freeze's recent OT recruiting being better than previous years and maybe getting the numbers a little wrong.  The most important thing is that this staff's priority in recruiting OTs is LONG overdue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Auburn signed just three offensive linemen during Harsin’s time as head coach — two three-star prospects in his transitional class in 2021 (Garner Langlo, who committed under Malzahn, and Colby Smith) and local four-star offensive tackle E.J. Harris in the 2022 class. The Tigers had commitments from two linemen prior to Harsin’s firing: four-star interior lineman Clay Wedin and three-star local lineman Bradyn Joiner. There was also three-star prospect Gernorris Wilson, who decommitted when Harsin was fired and ultimately signed with Oregon last month.

During Malzahn’s last few seasons at Auburn, offensive line recruiting fell off as well. The Tigers signed just one blue-chip lineman during Malzahn’s final three full recruiting classes (Keiondre Jones in 2019). In all, Auburn signed three or fewer offensive linemen eight times in the 10 years prior to Freeze’s arrival. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/01/auburn-swiftly-making-strides-with-long-overdue-overhaul-along-offensive-line.html

Depth!

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Was never going to play OT at AU

Still ... recruited as OT.  His AU bio lists him as "reserve OL" from 2019-21, & an OG in 2022.  Working on a masters in business.  

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Auburn signed just three offensive linemen during Harsin’s time as head coach — two three-star prospects in his transitional class in 2021 (Garner Langlo, who committed under Malzahn, and Colby Smith) and local four-star offensive tackle E.J. Harris in the 2022 class. The Tigers had commitments from two linemen prior to Harsin’s firing: four-star interior lineman Clay Wedin and three-star local lineman Bradyn Joiner. There was also three-star prospect Gernorris Wilson, who decommitted when Harsin was fired and ultimately signed with Oregon last month.

During Malzahn’s last few seasons at Auburn, offensive line recruiting fell off as well. The Tigers signed just one blue-chip lineman during Malzahn’s final three full recruiting classes (Keiondre Jones in 2019). In all, Auburn signed three or fewer offensive linemen eight times in the 10 years prior to Freeze’s arrival. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/01/auburn-swiftly-making-strides-with-long-overdue-overhaul-along-offensive-line.html

Depth!

Now all those previous OL coaches at AU talking about "training all OL to play multiple positions" makes perfect sense!  

5 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Still ... recruited as OT.  

But he wasn't.  Everyone knew he would be a guard at AU. He was recruited to play guard. Same with Hamm. However, due to our stellar OL recruiting, we had to play some guard at RT and he was the best of the bunch.  Fact still remains he was a guard, he was just playing out of position..and it showed.

2 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Now all those previous OL coaches at AU talking about "training all OL to play multiple positions" makes perfect sense!  

Yep, no matter the squinting we didn't have any of that D word

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

But he wasn't.  Everyone knew he would be a guard at AU. He was recruited to play guard. Same with Hamm. However, due to our stellar OL recruiting, we had to play some guard at RT and he was the best of the bunch.  Fact still remains he was a guard, he was just playing out of position..and it showed.

OK, I'll defer to your knowledge of the situation.  I'm just a casual follower of recruiting.  Whatever was listed on the Auburn Undercover link that I provided showed him as an OT recruit.   

thanks for pointing this out mikey. i probably posted the article so if anyone knows something i post is wrong please tell me. if i took the time to somehow fact check anything i post i would never get done posting anything. this is why i sometimes say take it with a grain of salt. i have no problems deleting something. and i do not think anyone is pointing fingers this is just my take.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

thanks for pointing this out mikey. i probably posted the article so if anyone knows something i post is wrong please tell me. if i took the time to somehow fact check anything i post i would never get done posting anything. this is why i sometimes say take it with a grain of salt. i have no problems deleting something. and i do not think anyone is pointing fingers this is just my take.

Keep up your hard work. The argument should have been brought up to the original writer. There are differences from recruiting site to recruiting site in how they list offensive lineman. If it was an article I don’t even think Mikey is trying to shoot the messenger for bringing it here. Which is very rare!!  We appreciate you digging these articles up. Thank you, sir!!

I guess I should have clarified. I’m not even sure this was an article. I saw it as tweet from Barstool. I’m gonna look and see if that’s the case. Because if it was an article. I wonder if they clarify their statement in the tweet. 

Edited by TXaubie
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yep, no matter the squinting we didn't have any of that D word

Exactly. Stutts was always going to be a guard. Also the OP listed Osborned as a OT which he was always going to be interior until he left. Wright was a OG,  Langlo was brought in as a OG with "potential to play either or" best I remember. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Keep up your hard work. The argument should have been brought up to the original writer. There are differences from recruiting site to recruiting site in how they list offensive lineman. If it was an article I don’t even think Mikey is trying to shoot the messenger for bringing it here. Which is very rare!!  We appreciate you digging these articles up. Thank you, sir!!

I guess I should have clarified. I’m not even sure this was an article. I saw it as tweet from Barstool. I’m gonna look and see if that’s the case. Because if it was an article. I wonder if they clarify their statement in the tweet. 

i love me some tejas and mikey and i are fine and i did not take it all as a shot. i just want to make sure the stuff i post is legit and nothing more unless i state it is a rumor. i enjoy helping you out as well as the board for the record. and i am open to sources that have free articles if i miss any sites. thanx for the love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Exactly. Stutts was always going to be a guard. Also the OP listed Osborned as a OT which he was always going to be interior until he left. Wright was a OG,  Langlo was brought in as a OG with "potential to play either or" best I remember. 

You're 100% right. All 4 recruited for the interior. Langlo, if necessary, could play RT like Hamm.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:38 AM, AUDevil said:

Made a similar post in the Donor forum a couple hours ago.  I missed Langlo.  247 has some different assumptions.  Osborne and Wright are OGs in 247, however, they count Stutts as an OT.  As Meta pointed out, Wright came as an OG prior to his DL move.

I agree with you that it’s a false statement, but it’s not far off.  Gus really blew it in 2018…12th ranked class on Rivals and no OTs.  What was he thinking?

Still hard to fathom Harsin secured no OTs in the portal in 2 years.

Nothing from the portal or junior college.

On 1/7/2023 at 12:43 PM, Mikey said:

Pointing out inaccuracy in a statement is not defending anything. It's revealing a falsehood.

That's beside the point. They could all have lost 150 lbs and become receivers. They were offensive tackles when they were signed, thus the claim of only four is false.

That's beside the point. The claim was made that AU signed only four OT's over that time period. I listed eight.

As were the other six I listed and provided verification for.

All I addressed was the false statement that AU only signed four OT's over that time period. I did not speak to the quality, eventual position they may have played, intended use or anything else. The statement about four was false. I provided facts that prove that statement was false. End of story.

It’s obvious he doesn’t like you so regardless of how accurate and fact-based you are, he’s not going to have anything good to say to you. His opinion always matters more than facts.

I was thinking the exact same thing… you weren’t defending “any one or any S-show” you were simply pointing out the inaccuracies with facts.

And once again as bad as the Gus O-line recruiting was, Harsin was much worse! Plus Harsin had a well established portal to work with. Of course Harsin was too lazy and unmotivated to meet the states top high school coaches and athletic directors so why put any effort into the portal or junior college? But let’s not forget Harsin ran stadium stairs with the players.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

OK, I'll defer to your knowledge of the situation.  I'm just a casual follower of recruiting.  Whatever was listed on the Auburn Undercover link that I provided showed him as an OT recruit.   

Because he was an OT recruit. 

5 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Because he was an OT recruit. 

And Dansby was one of our greatest wide receivers ever and Ben Grubbs one of our best DTs! 

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:58 PM, Randman5000 said:

What's the point of this post... The first response does not argue against the falsehood of the facts. Facts are facts and everyone has agreed that OL recruiting was inept.... It grew under Gus and expounded under the previous staff. All acknowledge this. Do you?

And.. To be beside the point... TJ Finley could have been a great TE. L...No one is arguing against OL becoming receivers.... the point has and will continue to be made because of.. facts...OL recruiting was terrible. We aren't the folks that wrote the article and I get venting but going on and on could be more understandable and poignant if directed towards the author.

This will be my last post towards you because you lost your point when you tried to even the argument when you stopped advocating for LB recruiting which is also in dire need. Didn't that used to be your thing? Have a great season..

Where did Mikey say O-line recruiting was stellar? He even says it was bad, it’s just that four recruits, do not equal seven recruits and he even provided the seven recruits names. That’s all he is pointing out, I don’t get why people have a problem with it?

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

24 comprehension: 

He was simply pointing out four does not equal seven. Let it go bro, let it go!

We have Freeze now who we should’ve had two years ago, it’s all good.