Purdue transfer DL Lawrence Johnson commits to AU!

Sizzle

Former Purdue DT Lawrence Johnson commits to Auburn

8 minutes ago

Shortly after visiting the Plains, former Purdue defensive tackle Lawrence Johnsonis set to make the Plains home, announcing his commitment to Auburn.

“This place is great," Johnson said. "It feels like the people here are just really good. You could feel the Southern hospitality. The facilities are state of the art. It’s just a real nice atmosphere here.”

Two other factors played a role in Johnson's commitment to Auburn.

"It's the environment here," Johnson said. "The people here are good. You can just walk through the town and people will greet you just because they're good people here. And it's warm, I'm from Indiana, I don't like the cold. I've been in the cold my whole life so I'm trying to get away from the cold."

A 6-foot-3, 310-pounder originally from Fort Wayne, Indiana, Johnson has been a valuable piece for Purdue’s defense during his career with the Boilermakers. Now heading into his sixth season of college football, Johnson has 88 total tackles with two and a half sacks and seven and a half tackles for a loss for his career.

The need for defensive linemen for Auburn's roster cannot be understated. Clearly, as Auburn has now picked up three transfers in Johnson, former Vanderbilt edge rusher Elijah McAllister and former Maryland defensive tackle Mosiah Nasili-Kite.

16COMMENTS

"Coach Garrett and the rest of them, they’re just honest," Johnson said. "They just don’t tell you what you want to hear, they tell you what you need to hear. You could tell by meeting with them and sitting down with them that they just want the best out of you.”

Auburn Undercover will continue to update this story.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Might be a post for the main football board once the dust settles, can anyone list out our front DL and who maps to those spots? 

NT, DT, SDE, EDGE, 2 LBs, Star/Rover?

I believe we are done on Interior DL as we have quality people returning and have picked up some key players in both the portal and the HS/JUCO route.  This is a big pickup. WAR Eagle and welcome to Auburn

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Just need a qb and some wrs now, right?

We still need everything honestly. Another LB, OL, and Edge would be nice. 
But IMO QB is the most important. Just not many options, or at least ones that HF wants at the moment. Not publicly anyway. 

• Like 2

CHF is doing a serious rebuild of the Auburn Tigers!  I’m beginning to think we might have a chance to be pretty good next year.  I hate to get my hopes up but dang, this has been a heck of a recruiting effort if they don’t get anyone else and I have a feeling they ain’t done yet!  

Edited by weagl1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Interior DL is taken care of, nice

Yep and the grocery bill just went up a lot more.   6'3 310.    It's nice to see us getting some big nasties again.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Former Purdue DT Lawrence Johnson commits to Auburn

8 minutes ago

Shortly after visiting the Plains, former Purdue defensive tackle Lawrence Johnsonis set to make the Plains home, announcing his commitment to Auburn.

“This place is great," Johnson said. "It feels like the people here are just really good. You could feel the Southern hospitality. The facilities are state of the art. It’s just a real nice atmosphere here.”

Two other factors played a role in Johnson's commitment to Auburn.

"It's the environment here," Johnson said. "The people here are good. You can just walk through the town and people will greet you just because they're good people here. And it's warm, I'm from Indiana, I don't like the cold. I've been in the cold my whole life so I'm trying to get away from the cold."

A 6-foot-3, 310-pounder originally from Fort Wayne, Indiana, Johnson has been a valuable piece for Purdue’s defense during his career with the Boilermakers. Now heading into his sixth season of college football, Johnson has 88 total tackles with two and a half sacks and seven and a half tackles for a loss for his career.

The need for defensive linemen for Auburn's roster cannot be understated. Clearly, as Auburn has now picked up three transfers in Johnson, former Vanderbilt edge rusher Elijah McAllister and former Maryland defensive tackle Mosiah Nasili-Kite.

16COMMENTS

"Coach Garrett and the rest of them, they’re just honest," Johnson said. "They just don’t tell you what you want to hear, they tell you what you need to hear. You could tell by meeting with them and sitting down with them that they just want the best out of you.”

Auburn Undercover will continue to update this story.

I've always said that the trick to successful recruiting at Auburn is to get the kid on campus and let him spend a day just walking around campus, the town, etc. It truly is a family atmosphere here at Auburn, no matter what coaching staff is here. Nearly every commit we've had, no matter what sport, talks about the family atmosphere at Auburn and how we're just different than any other school. WDE

• Thanks 1

Nice!  Is he projecting as a NT or the other DT position?   I think the UK DT is a perfect NT for us.   
Freeze and staff has done really well on the DL which was desperately needed!!!!!!   We need AT LEAST one more excellent Edge and we’ll be in good shape on the DL.  

• Like 1

Glad to have him.  After that December Arctic blast froze everything solid up north, I couldn't help but laugh at the above quote(!)  

"And it's warm, I'm from Indiana, I don't like the cold. I've been in the cold my whole life so I'm trying to get away from the cold."

I hear you big guy - this is the precise reason my wife moved to the Atlanta area from Indiana 20 years ago. She's the best transfer portal pickup ever. Although she keeps making me renegotiate her NIL deal...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

"And it's warm, I'm from Indiana, I don't like the cold. I've been in the cold my whole life so I'm trying to get away from the cold."

I hear you big guy - this is the precise reason my wife moved to the Atlanta area from Indiana 20 years ago. She's the best transfer portal pickup ever. Although she keeps making me renegotiate her NIL deal...

Be generous with the NIL. She can transfer again with a waiver. 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Was this guy on the Purdue roster when we played them in the 18 Music City Bowl?

🤷‍♂️ I blacked out/purged memories with bowl games during Malzahn 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Nice!  Is he projecting as a NT or the other DT position?   I think the UK DT is a perfect NT for us.   
Freeze and staff has done really well on the DL which was desperately needed!!!!!!   We need AT LEAST one more excellent Edge and we’ll be in good shape on the DL.  

Nose all the way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1