DB CJ Johnson Commits to Auburn

toddc

Lone Star State defensive back CJ Johnson commits to Auburn

CJ Johnson (Sam Spiegelman, On3) 

Auburn didn’t offer CJ Johnson a scholarship until Dec. 8 but once it happened the Tigers quickly became a major factor for the 3-star safety from Katy (Texas) Paetow.

Exactly one month later, Johnson has publicly committed to Hugh Freeze’sprogram.

For Auburn, he is commitment No. 21 in the 202 3 class. The Tigers also have added five transfers (so far) with many more expected to join the program. (TEAM recruiting rankings here)

Johnson’s longstanding relationship with new Auburn secondary coach Wesley McGriff got the ball rolling for the Tigers.

“He’s been recruiting me since he was at Louisville,” Johnson told Auburn Live. “He’s definitely one of my favorite coaches.”

One week after landing the offer from Auburn, Johnson visited the Tigers. Later that week, Auburn’s other secondary coach, Zac Etheridge, went in-home with him. Those two hit things off, too.

“I’m definitely very comfortable with him,” Johnson said. “I initially met him when he worked at Houston. I’ve always had a past connection with him.”

Johnson, listed at 6-foot-3, 193 pounds, chose Auburn over Missouri. He already has signed his Letter of Intent with Auburn. Johnson’s pledge comes one day after All-American Bowl cornerback Tyler Scott of Mableton (Ga.) Pebblebrook committed to Freeze and Co.

Johnson’s unofficial visit to Auburn in December gave him a chance to meet Freezefor the first time.

“I  liked him,” Johnson said. “Straight shooter. He told me they have a plan for me. He didn’t have a recruiting pitch. He just kept it real and was saying why I should choose Auburn. But he said even if I didn’t choose Auburn to find the perfect spot for me.”

What stands out with Auburn?

“Just really the high-caliber of SEC play that they have and how I’d fit into their school — and how their roster presents itself. I could come in and contribute early as a freshman.”

Johnson is the No. 51 safety in the country for the On3 Consensus.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

• toddc changed the title to DB CJ Johnson Commits to Auburn

FB6D3047-03D1-48BF-8940-2466B48F3F6B.png

• Like 1

Looks like a safety position in his future.

ZE and Crimedog doing the work!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He plays for Katy, which is a powerhouse in the State.  He has great size

In Katy, but not “the” Katy (the premiere powerhouse)? Not discrediting just asking. 

Also, asked this in another thread about this kid. So that article says he’s signed?!?!  Is he another one that wanted to wait to announce. Scott, has already signed also??

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

In Katy, but not “the” Katy (the premiere powerhouse)? Not discrediting just asking. 

Also, asked this in another thread about this kid. So that article says he’s signed?!?!  Is he another one that wanted to wait to announce. 

Yeah, I was just coming back to fix that.  I thought he was at THE Katy.  Thanks for the catch.

I believe he was one of them, yes 

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Also, asked this in another thread about this kid. So that article says he’s signed?!?!  Is he another one that wanted to wait to announce. 

It seems like it. Looks like him, Scott, and Cobb had already signed and they just waited until after ENSD

• Like 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Yeah, I was just coming back to fix that.  I thought he was at THE Katy.  Thanks for the catch.

I was actually unaware they had more than one school. Which I’m sure is recent??  I remember Plano used to only have one school (long time ago). Used to compete for titles yearly. Then they added another high school. Haven’t been back since. 

Regardless, it Doesn’t mean That area CJ is from is not loaded with talent!!!

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He plays for Katy, which is a powerhouse in the State.  He has great size

I was wrong.  He's at the new HS in Katy not the perineal power 

• Like 1

Just now, TXaubie said:

I was actually unaware they had more than one school. Which I’m sure is recent??  I remember Plano used to only have one school (long time ago). Used to compete for titles yearly. Then they added another high school. Haven’t been back since. 

Yeah, I was surprised too. 

Apparently built in 2017...who knew? 😂

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

He went to Paetow, school opened up around 5-6 years ago 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It seems like it. Looks like him, Scott, and Cobb had already signed and they just waited until after ENSD

Has Cobb signed??  Lol. NVM. Disregard my ignorance!!  Don’t answer that question. If it hasn’t been announced there is a reason for that.…buuuttttt Last I heard was he was gonna sign at February signing day. 🤷‍♂️ 

5 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Has Cobb signed??  Lol. NVM. Disregard my ignorance!!  Don’t answer that question. If it hasn’t been announced there is a reason for that.…buuuttttt Last I heard was he was gonna sign at February signing day. 🤷‍♂️ 

I think he’s already signed but he’s announcing in February 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Niebuhr says he actually signed Dec. 21st. Made it official today. Crime doing work!

Love the crime dog!!  I really appreciate his eye for talent!!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, AUlax10 said:

Maybe you should keep reading before trying to be smart...

On 1/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, bigbird said:

I was wrong.  He's at the new HS in Katy not the perineal power 

...Otherwise it tends to have the opposite effect.

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe you should keep reading before trying to be smart...

...Otherwise it tends to have the opposite effect.

He was talking about the word "perineal," which I had never heard of either, being used instead of perennial 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

He was talking about the word "perineal," which I had never heard of either, being used instead of perennial 

Maybe I should read better before trying to be smart. It tends to have the opposite effect when I don't.

My apologies, @AUlax10  Nice catch!

benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock.gif 

Also, what an autocorrect !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe I should read better before trying to be smart. It tends to have the opposite effect when I don't.

My apologies, @AUlax10  Nice catch!

benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock.gif 

Also, what an autocorrect !

No worries. I read your post and thought, “That taint right”

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1