Jump to content

DB CJ Johnson Commits to Auburn


toddc
 Share

Recommended Posts

Lone Star State defensive back CJ Johnson commits to Auburn

CJ Johnson (Sam Spiegelman, On3) 

Auburn didn’t offer CJ Johnson a scholarship until Dec. 8 but once it happened the Tigers quickly became a major factor for the 3-star safety from Katy (Texas) Paetow.

Exactly one month later, Johnson has publicly committed to Hugh Freeze’sprogram.

For Auburn, he is commitment No. 21 in the 202 3 class. The Tigers also have added five transfers (so far) with many more expected to join the program. (TEAM recruiting rankings here)

Johnson’s longstanding relationship with new Auburn secondary coach Wesley McGriff got the ball rolling for the Tigers.

“He’s been recruiting me since he was at Louisville,” Johnson told Auburn Live. “He’s definitely one of my favorite coaches.”

One week after landing the offer from Auburn, Johnson visited the Tigers. Later that week, Auburn’s other secondary coach, Zac Etheridge, went in-home with him. Those two hit things off, too.

“I’m definitely very comfortable with him,” Johnson said. “I initially met him when he worked at Houston. I’ve always had a past connection with him.”

Johnson, listed at 6-foot-3, 193 pounds, chose Auburn over Missouri. He already has signed his Letter of Intent with Auburn. Johnson’s pledge comes one day after All-American Bowl cornerback Tyler Scott of Mableton (Ga.) Pebblebrook committed to Freeze and Co.

Johnson’s unofficial visit to Auburn in December gave him a chance to meet Freezefor the first time.

“I  liked him,” Johnson said. “Straight shooter. He told me they have a plan for me. He didn’t have a recruiting pitch. He just kept it real and was saying why I should choose Auburn. But he said even if I didn’t choose Auburn to find the perfect spot for me.”

What stands out with Auburn?

“Just really the high-caliber of SEC play that they have and how I’d fit into their school — and how their roster presents itself. I could come in and contribute early as a freshman.”

Johnson is the No. 51 safety in the country for the On3 Consensus.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • toddc changed the title to DB CJ Johnson Commits to Auburn




FB6D3047-03D1-48BF-8940-2466B48F3F6B.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He plays for Katy, which is a powerhouse in the State.  He has great size

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like a safety position in his future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

ZE and Crimedog doing the work!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He plays for Katy, which is a powerhouse in the State.  He has great size

In Katy, but not “the” Katy (the premiere powerhouse)? Not discrediting just asking. 
 

Also, asked this in another thread about this kid. So that article says he’s signed?!?!  Is he another one that wanted to wait to announce. Scott, has already signed also??

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

In Katy, but not “the” Katy (the premiere powerhouse)? Not discrediting just asking. 
 

Also, asked this in another thread about this kid. So that article says he’s signed?!?!  Is he another one that wanted to wait to announce. 

Yeah, I was just coming back to fix that.  I thought he was at THE Katy.  Thanks for the catch.

I believe he was one of them, yes 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:


 

Also, asked this in another thread about this kid. So that article says he’s signed?!?!  Is he another one that wanted to wait to announce. 

It seems like it. Looks like him, Scott, and Cobb had already signed and they just waited until after ENSD

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bigbird said:

Yeah, I was just coming back to fix that.  I thought he was at THE Katy.  Thanks for the catch.

I was actually unaware they had more than one school. Which I’m sure is recent??  I remember Plano used to only have one school (long time ago). Used to compete for titles yearly. Then they added another high school. Haven’t been back since. 
 

Regardless, it Doesn’t mean That area CJ is from is not loaded with talent!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He plays for Katy, which is a powerhouse in the State.  He has great size

I was wrong.  He's at the new HS in Katy not the perineal power 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TXaubie said:

I was actually unaware they had more than one school. Which I’m sure is recent??  I remember Plano used to only have one school (long time ago). Used to compete for titles yearly. Then they added another high school. Haven’t been back since. 
 

Regardless, it Doesn’t mean That area CJ is from is not loaded with talent!!!

Yeah, I was surprised too. 

Apparently built in 2017...who knew? 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

I was actually unaware they had more than one school. Which I’m sure is recent??  I remember Plano used to only have one school (long time ago). Used to compete for titles yearly. Then they added another high school. Haven’t been back since. 
 

Regardless, it Doesn’t mean That area CJ is from is not loaded with talent!!!

He went to Paetow, school opened up around 5-6 years ago 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sizzle said:

He went to Paetow, school opened up around 5-6 years ago 

2017

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

It seems like it. Looks like him, Scott, and Cobb had already signed and they just waited until after ENSD

Has Cobb signed??  Lol. NVM. Disregard my ignorance!!  Don’t answer that question. If it hasn’t been announced there is a reason for that.…buuuttttt Last I heard was he was gonna sign at February signing day. 🤷‍♂️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Has Cobb signed??  Lol. NVM. Disregard my ignorance!!  Don’t answer that question. If it hasn’t been announced there is a reason for that.…buuuttttt Last I heard was he was gonna sign at February signing day. 🤷‍♂️ 

I think he’s already signed but he’s announcing in February 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JOSEPHIAMLEGEND75@GMAIL.CO said:

Niebuhr says he actually signed Dec. 21st. Made it official today. Crime doing work!

Love the crime dog!!  I really appreciate his eye for talent!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AUlax10 said:

Maybe you should keep reading before trying to be smart...

On 1/8/2023 at 2:12 PM, bigbird said:

I was wrong.  He's at the new HS in Katy not the perineal power 

...Otherwise it tends to have the opposite effect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe you should keep reading before trying to be smart...

...Otherwise it tends to have the opposite effect.

He was talking about the word "perineal," which I had never heard of either, being used instead of perennial 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

He was talking about the word "perineal," which I had never heard of either, being used instead of perennial 

Maybe I should read better before trying to be smart. It tends to have the opposite effect when I don't.

My apologies, @AUlax10  Nice catch!

 

benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock.gif 

Also, what an autocorrect !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Maybe I should read better before trying to be smart. It tends to have the opposite effect when I don't.

My apologies, @AUlax10  Nice catch!

 

benedict-cumberbatch-sherlock.gif 

Also, what an autocorrect !

No worries. I read your post and thought, “That taint right”

  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...