Grad our Portal Class

W.E.D

Portal doesn't close for another week, but visits are done.  I'm not sure there are many/any out there still left that have visited.  Probably grab some guys post spring, but assuming we're done where do we land?

QB: F | Didn't get one, don't think there is anything else to say here.  #1a Area we'll still add someone
RB: B- | All American Returner & capable running back.  Smaller (est), but seems to run a little bigger than 175.  Will be a good change of pace & Combo with Hunter.  Dillion Johnson would have been pushing an A
TE: A | Kid is a stud.  Got Landon King back too.
WR: C | Probably wanted two.  Mander seems OK, match-up issues but hasn't really been productive in college.
OL: A | Could still add here and get to A+++++ if we could sign a guard.  If we do that it's amazing & we've essentially rebuilt our OL with 4 new starters.  A few have multiple years of eligibility too.

Offense B -- Find a QB, add a WR/OL now or post spring and it's an easy A to perfect

DT: B+ maybe A- | MNT is a really good player.  Had some injury issues, if he can bounce back he's a 2-3rd team All-SEC type player.  Perdue transfer will contribute & was solid for a NT.  Also looped Z Walker back into the fold.  Might classify as DE tho
Edge/DE: D | Vandy kid is a partial contributor.  #1b Area we have to add someone tied with QB.  Missing on the Wake kid hurt.  OSU kid to a lesser extent.  We need someone
LB: B+ | Tolan should be a starter.  Probably wanted 2.  Push to A if we can snag Austin Keys
DB/S: n/a | didn't need anyone

Defense B -- Need a pass rusher.

Overall B -- Not a knock some ppl will take this as.  We've done a great job overall.  Unfortunately (at the moment), we have nothing at QB and EDGE....which are the two biggest impact positions on both sides of the ball.  We've missed here.  Having 0s brings down the overall score.  Getting some average to above average players in those spots and we're easily at an A 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I agree with your assessment so far.   At this point I would say it has been really, really good. We just need a QB and an  Edge who is starter material!   We can get an Edge in May and he can be fully acclimated by the start of the season.   QB needs a little more time, but as others have stated, our schedule sets up well to continue the gelling process a few weeks into the season   

As important as those 2 positions are, OL was far and away the biggest area of need and our staff knocked it out of the park, and they might not be done yet!

Once we get a legit SEC starting QB and Edge, (and I think we’ll add a couple more pieces just to show off😁)  we will have ACED the portal!!!

I don't know guys.   I'm looking at it like the pantry was bare and now we got some players.   No we didn't get all that we would have wanted, but we got a lot more then we have been getting with a coaching staff that is just a couple months old.    I'm giving a A+

We need a Leota/Hall type on defense. I'm not as excited about Vandy transfer as some. Hope I'm wrong and he lights it up. If Rogers commits we are set on DL. Hopefully we are in conversations about our QB. Must have an upgrade. I don't see it happening with RA without stiff competition. Ashford is a great athlete, just not sure he has enough football talent for us to win championships. Will be hard for him to go from 14 to 1 in one year. Love the kid though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, autan said:

We need a Leota/Hall type on defense. I'm not as excited about Vandy transfer as some. Hope I'm wrong and he lights it up. If Rogers commits we are set on DL. Hopefully we are in conversations about our QB. Must have an upgrade. I don't see it happening with RA without stiff competition. Ashford is a great athlete, just not sure he has enough football talent for us to win championships. Will be hard for him to go from 14 to 1 in one year. Love the kid though.

Never know…maybe someone on the roster will step up and show us something…there will be several players to hit the portal after spring ball finishes..

2 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

I don't know guys.   I'm looking at it like the pantry was bare and now we got some players.   No we didn't get all that we would have wanted, but we got a lot more then we have been getting with a coaching staff that is just a couple months old.    I'm giving a A+

A+ means you essentially did literally everything or nearly everything right.

Not having a QB or Edge stops us from being there. Doesn't mean we can be excited or thrilled with what the staff did

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, W.E.D said:

Portal doesn't close for another week, but visits are done.  I'm not sure there are many/any out there still left that have visited.  Probably grab some guys post spring, but assuming we're done where do we land?

QB: F | Didn't get one, don't think there is anything else to say here.  #1a Area we'll still add someone
RB: B- | All American Returner & capable running back.  Smaller (est), but seems to run a little bigger than 175.  Will be a good change of pace & Combo with Hunter.  Dillion Johnson would have been pushing an A
WR: C | Probably wanted two.  Mander seems OK, match-up issues but hasn't really been productive in college.
OL: A | Could still add here and get to A+++++ if we could sign a guard.  If we do that it's amazing & we've essentially rebuilt our OL with 4 new starters.  A few have multiple years of eligibility too.

Offense B -- Find a QB, add a WR/OL now or post spring and it's an easy A to perfect

DT: B+ maybe A- | MNT is a really good player.  Had some injury issues, if he can bounce back he's a 2-3rd team All-SEC type player.  Perdue transfer will contribute & was solid for a NT.  Also looped Z Walker back into the fold.  Might classify as DE tho
Edge/DE: D | Vandy kid is a partial contributor.  #1b Area we have to add someone tied with QB.  Missing on the Wake kid hurt.  OSU kid to a lesser extent.  We need someone
LB: B+ | Tolan should be a starter.  Probably wanted 2.  Push to A if we can snag Austin Keys

Overall B -- Not a knock some ppl will take this as.  We've done a great job overall.  Unfortunately (at the moment), we have nothing at QB and EDGE....which are the two biggest impact positions on both sides of the ball.  We've missed here.  Having 0s brings down the overall score.  Getting some average to above average players in those spots and we're easily at an A 

After the Rogers commitment, I am putting DL an A. He is a stud and add in Nasili-Kite and Lawrence to what we have with Harris, M'Ba, Walker, Reed, Etc and I think we have a good unit. 

• Love 1

Keys is visiting this weekend, and if we get him I think the LB recruiting is an A.

OL - A+ and biggest need by far

DL- A+ 

LB (with keys) - A

RB - A 

TE- A+

WR- B-

Edge- C- (but we did sign a rockstar HS player)

QB - F- (so so so Close to being an A+… only AU would go all in on the one elite QB that can’t make his grades hahaha 😢)

Honestly we upgraded every single area of the team in the portal except the most important position: QB. Overall it has been REMARKABLE but the grade is a B since it will not matter how good the rest of the team is without a solid QB, and unless HF works some magic, we don’t have one. 
Now if he signs one in the spring and can bring him along quickly, I will change it to an A+. 

I would love to see AU land a stud QB. It may happen, but up until this portal cycle all our team has shown is that if you are a QB you better have incredible legs because you are going to need them. We have poor protection at best. 
Now the CHF has built lines that are respectable, one of our existing QB may be able to perform better (consider how much better BO looked in Oregon). We may also start to look more enticing to a higher caliber transfer. 
we have got to have the foundation in place to attract that higher level QB. 

A. The fact we got 22 commits in a short period and particularly hit a spot where we were extremely lacking takes the cake for me.  Remember at one point recruiting was dead and we never thought we could get a high school OT, let alone several and a couple who can make immediate impacts. Quickly many have forgotten it seems. As far as the QB scenario goes, we are still playing the long game. Eventually we will get one then we can argue about how he is not up to par.

• Like 3

As far as QB recruiting in the portal goes... Danny Hugh is up to something... It makes no sense for us to have all this success across the board and bomb out on a QB... He has got something up his sleeve..

• Like 1

JLee is apparently not impressed: https://flywareagle.com/2023/01/12/auburn-football-freeze-splash-recruiting/

"🤨It’s linemen, which is very much not splash. It might be “smart” but it isn’t splash. You’re still waiting on that portal quarterback, aren’t you?
The components are fine. Maryland, South Florida, Purdue — fills gaps. The UK and LSU guys are Ws. Still a long haul here.
— Justin Lee (@ByJustinLee) January 12, 2023"

Not sure where JLee's been, but we've been lacking these pieces for quite some time. We've had decent D-lineman in the recent past, but O-lineman have been long missing. And we know that unless you have quality O and D lines, your team ain't nothin'. Hope Freeze lands a couple of key pieces and a quality QB, along with some silverware, to help him eat his words.

10 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

RB - A 

I'm not sure we needed a portal RB, but getting a 165 pound kick returner doesn't merit an A to my thinking. I pretty much agree with the rest of your rankings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I'm not sure we needed a portal RB, but getting a 165 pound kick returner doesn't merit an A to my thinking. I pretty much agree with the rest of your rankings.

Well I actually think this guy is better than the guy at Mississippi State that went to Washington. He is a complete change of pace, all American, and has elite speed. We already have everything we need from a standard running back position in Hunter, Damari, and Cobb if he hopefully signs. This guy completes the room by giving us a different type of weapon. 
As a side-note, he is also a dangerous weapon in the return game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

As far as QB recruiting in the portal goes... Danny Hugh is up to something... It makes no sense for us to have all this success across the board and bomb out on a QB... He has got something up his sleeve..

Well he only has this weekend unless of course he signs someone after spring, and there is nobody in the portal at this point that we want (other than Howard who for some reason will not visit). 
To be honest, I actually thought quarterback would be the easiest position for us to recruit, and that we would have a tough time with all the other positions. 

5 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well he only has this weekend unless of course he signs someone after spring, and there is nobody in the portal at this point that we want (other than Howard who for some reason will not visit). 
To be honest, I actually thought quarterback would be the easiest position for us to recruit, and that we would have a tough time with all the other positions. 

We had a guy and he didn't have transferable credits. As been explained ad nauseum, they are not just looking to get anybody to transfer in at one of the most important positions on the field. A handful of other QBs who entered the portal already had deals in place clearly prior to just throwing their hat in. I imagine we also have been bending the rules a little in this regard. Right now it is a waiting game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The 165 rb will be used in special situations.  He had over 1k yds last year.. Think Onterrio Mccaleb. Brings a different dimension to the RB room. When u consider he had over 1k rushing yds and returned 3 Kickoff for TD. An A is warranted IMO

• Like 3

Based on everyone's analysis, we are only 4-5 players shy of meeting all of our needs.  That's not too bad considering the giant hole potato-boy left us in.  

Still have another the rest of this portal session, the spring session and NSD in February to make that happen.  I realize a lot of the big-fish have committed or transferred already but we can still get the pieces we need to compete next year. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Well I actually think this guy is better than the guy at Mississippi State that went to Washington. He is a complete change of pace, all American, and has elite speed. We already have everything we need from a standard running back position in Hunter, Damari, and Cobb if he hopefully signs. This guy completes the room by giving us a different type of weapon. 
As a side-note, he is also a dangerous weapon in the return game.

agree, considering we are going to have more air raid 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

Agreed. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:19 AM, AUINSY said:

JLee is apparently not impressed: https://flywareagle.com/2023/01/12/auburn-football-freeze-splash-recruiting/

"🤨It’s linemen, which is very much not splash. It might be “smart” but it isn’t splash. You’re still waiting on that portal quarterback, aren’t you?
The components are fine. Maryland, South Florida, Purdue — fills gaps. The UK and LSU guys are Ws. Still a long haul here.

Not sure where JLee's been, but we've been lacking these pieces for quite some time. We've had decent D-lineman in the recent past, but O-lineman have been long missing. And we know that unless you have quality O and D lines, your team ain't nothin'. Hope Freeze lands a couple of key pieces and a quality QB, along with some silverware, to help him eat his words.

JLee and Justin Lee are not the same person.  

I believe I heard the real JLee to look for Auburn to pick up a couple more guys after Spring when the next portal window opens.  Probably get Auburn's QB then.  

On 1/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, W.E.D said:

B+

On 1/13/2023 at 10:19 AM, AUINSY said:

They Maryland DT is a good player. More than just a fill guy