2023 Softball Preseason

Does anyone have an Extra Innings Softball prescription?  They just dropped their preseason top 100, would like to know which of the Lady Tigers made it in.

We got 3 in the D1 Softball Top 100: 

7 hours ago, RedDirtFan said:

Does anyone have an Extra Innings Softball prescription?  They just dropped their preseason top 100, would like to know which of the Lady Tigers made it in.

We got 3 in the D1 Softball Top 100: 

Penta, Lowe, and Ellis 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

12 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

That is great news.  Keep our fingers crossed she can stay healthy as her work load increases.  Fun watching her pitch.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

Starting off the year @ #19, according to D1 Softball: 

This would put us the #8 team in SEC.  Hope we finish higher than that.

• Like 1

I firmly believe we will finish higher than that in Top 25 and SEC.  Most of the preseason polls probably don't consider Lowe back in the rotation.  She's back and she brought her stuff! 

19 hours ago, RedDirtFan said:

would like to know which of the Lady Tigers made it in.

With all due respect,  Auburn's elite women athletes are proud Auburn Tigers, full stop.  Just like the men.  Although I know it's not your intention, the 'Lady' designation feels condescending to me (and, I suspect, to Auburn's women athletes).

The only university I'm aware of that officially uses the 'Lady' designation is Tennessee.  In 2014, they phased it out for all sports except women's basketball:

https://swimswam.com/university-tennessee-phases-lady-vols-name-womens-sports/

But in 2017 they brought it back:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20704564/tennessee-brings-back-lady-volunteers-name

No 'Lady Crimson Tide', 'Lady Bulldogs', 'Lady Gators', 'Lady Gamecocks', etc. - and, please, no 'Lady Tigers'!  Thanks and War Eagle!

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

With all due respect,  Auburn's elite women athletes are proud Auburn Tigers, full stop.  Just like the men.  Although I know it's not your intention, the 'Lady' designation feels condescending to me (and, I suspect, to Auburn's women athletes).

The only university I'm aware of that officially uses the 'Lady' designation is Tennessee.  In 2014, they phased it out for all sports except women's basketball:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20704564/tennessee-brings-back-lady-volunteers-name

No 'Lady Crimson Tide', 'Lady Bulldogs', 'Lady Gators', 'Lady Gamecocks', etc. - and, please, no 'Lady Tigers'!  Thanks and War Eagle!

Always felt "ladies" was a complimentary term of speech rather than having any condescending connotation.  When I have a chance to talk to one of our softball players I will try to remember to ask.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Always felt "ladies" was a complimentary term of speech rather than having any condescending connotation.  When I have a chance to talk to one of our softball players I will try to remember to ask.

Same here.  Time is passing us by, Slot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Woah, hoss, no thanks. I'm sorry that you're offended, but I'm sure there's a board out there for that. I'm here to celebrate the Auburn Softball team and the ladies themselves. They are ready for confetti!

• Like 1

I am sure we all want the same thing; for the AU softball team to play to their full potential,,,,,,,,,so moving on,,,,,

Thats good news about Shelby but I wonder how long she has been able to do pitching motions.  I know the article indicated that she would be going live this week.  Must take a while to get your "stuff" back.  Sure need some of the new pitchers to be able to give Penta and Lowe some rest.  I have said it before, but hats off to Penta for the load she carried last season.  

Looked again at article posted in another thread by RedDirt (Softball 2023 Schedule).  From that article and what I saw at some fall games I believe we have some excellent competition at a number of positions.  I will mention KK McCrary as someone who appeared to play well at 3rd.  There are several others working there and it will be interesting to see who finally gets the nod.  Really believe we have more overall talent now than we have had in a while.  First game in 23 days vs St. Johns in Clearwater.  They play a game vs Kentucky prior to playing AU later that day.  We run ruled them (2 games) in a early Feb game last year in Auburn.  Their overall record last year was 12 - 35.  Suspect they look forward to getting to play in Clearwater, making the trip from New York in early February.  When I took a glance at their roster, I was surprised they had 13 players from either California or Florida.  

14 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I am sure we all want the same thing; for the AU softball team to play to their full potential,,,,,,,,,so moving on,,,,,

Thats good news about Shelby but I wonder how long she has been able to do pitching motions.  I know the article indicated that she would be going live this week.  Must take a while to get your "stuff" back.  Sure need some of the new pitchers to be able to give Penta and Lowe some rest.  I have said it before, but hats off to Penta for the load she carried last season.  

Looked again at article posted in another thread by RedDirt (Softball 2023 Schedule).  From that article and what I saw at some fall games I believe we have some excellent competition at a number of positions.  I will mention KK McCrary as someone who appeared to play well at 3rd.  There are several others working there and it will be interesting to see who finally gets the nod.  Really believe we have more overall talent now than we have had in a while.  First game in 23 days vs St. Johns in Clearwater.  They play a game vs Kentucky prior to playing AU later that day.  We run ruled them (2 games) in a early Feb game last year in Auburn.  Their overall record last year was 12 - 35.  Suspect they look forward to getting to play in Clearwater, making the trip from New York in early February.  When I took a glance at their roster, I was surprised they had 13 players from either California or Florida.  

Agreed, Shelby will take some time to ramp back up.  Dean is a pitcher's coach...he knows the value Shelby brings deep into SEC competition and the winning combo he has waiting in Penta/Lowe when she's back to 100%.  I was impressed by the limited action Widra saw in the fall, but she needs more innings to build consistency.  It takes longer to ramp when you're also focusing on 3B and offense, so she might not hit her stride until later in the season.  I didn't see enough of Tresvik in the circle to make a call, but I trust what Dean sees in her ability.  Rolfe held her own amongst freshman-level talent, but she has some big shoes to fill coming in behind Penta/Lowe.  With Penta doing Penta things, Lowe ramping on her schedule, and Widra filling in the gaps, Dean should be able to develop Rolfe as he's done before.  It should be a pivotal year building the bullpen.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:36 AM, Golden Eagle said:

Gonna go out on limb and say I bet they aren’t as offended as you.   It’s only in this day and age that referencing a woman’s sporting team as “Lady Tigers” would offend someone that is not even affiliated with the team.   How does someone even come on a forum and say that without even asking any member of the team if it’s offensive to them.   

I'm ready to see Bri clearing some fences lol.  My daughter (Briana) is obviously a big fan with the same short name Bri. Just hope we put her in a position to get pitches to hit. Loved Kasey, but that last year had nothing to hit all year basically.  

• Like 2

On 1/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, AUBwins said:

I'm ready to see Bri clearing some fences lol.  My daughter (Briana) is obviously a big fan with the same short name Bri. Just hope we put her in a position to get pitches to hit. Loved Kasey, but that last year had nothing to hit all year basically.  

The key for Bri will be to avoid the Sophomore slump that has a tendency to rear its ugly head in the world of bats and balls... hoping for good things this year... and minimal injuries..

• Like 3

On 1/18/2023 at 2:42 PM, aubaseball said:

Gonna go out on limb and say I bet they aren’t as offended as you.   It’s only in this day and age that referencing a woman’s sporting team as “Lady Tigers” would offend someone that is not even affiliated with the team.   How does someone even come on a forum and say that without even asking any member of the team if it’s offensive to them.   

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the softball players don't like the designation. As a former Tiger athlete, I don't like it a bit. Consider that the male equivalent would be "Gentleman Tigers." I'm gonna guess none of us, myself included, like that!  :)  So, why should we think it's good for women athletes? Furthermore, using such a designation for women only implies that when we normally talk about Auburn Tigers, we're talking about men's teams. So, for me, our teams are all just Tigers. I'll note if I'm talking about the men's team or women's team in sports where we have both. But they're all Tigers. Just Tigers. 

• Like 3

Text of article by Phillip Marshall on 1/20/23…Auburn Under Cover

Auburn softball notebook: Newcomers shine for 'excited' Tigers

Ten days into preseason practice, head coach Mickey Dean likes the look of his sixth Auburn softball team. He says the Tigers are healthy, happy and excited about what is to come.

“We are staying healthy and getting things done,” Dean said. “We have some kids working well. It’s just not about working hard; they are working well. They are doing a great job with each other. They seem really excited. It’s always fun when you go to practice and they are excited. That has continued. It hasn’t died off.”

Transfers Icess Tresvik, KK McCrary and Annabelle Widra have stood out, Dean said. Tresvik and Widra are two-way players who will pitch and play in the field.

“The transfers have been doing really well,” Dean said, “Icess and Annabelle pitching and position-wise. “

Freshmen have also been attracting attention, particularly catcher Skyler Elkins and corner infielder Axe Milanowski.

“Skylar has been doing a really nice job behind the plate,” Dean said. “Axe has been doing really well. We have been working her at first and third. It’s nice to be able to give players breaks and not feel like you are having a big dropoff or a dropoff at all.”

FINDING THE STARTERS

Fifteen of Auburn’s top 17 hitters return, along with All-SEC pitchers Maddie Penta and Shelby Lowe. Three transfers and four highly regarded freshmen have joined the competition for playing time. So how do Dean and his staff decide who starts?

“Everybody wants to start, but there is a lot more to it than that,” Dean said. “Really, it is being able to have such a deep bench that you can put some people out there without losing something offensively or defensively. Being able to do that, you don’t have to force innings on kids.”

But only 10 players can start. Keeping those who don’t happy and involved is a challenge every coach faces.

“We talk about that,” Dean said. “I tell them no one can make you happy. Only you can make yourself happy. Are you happy about you or are you happy about your team? Are you happy about our process? If you being in the starting lineup is the only thing that makes you happy, you have to step back and re-evaluate. We have been preaching that since Day 1.”

Lowe is pitching again and feeling no pain in her forearm. Infield Denver Bryant, who missed most of last season with a torn ACL, has returned to full-speed practice. Others who played through pain last season are fully healthy. Only centerfielder Makayla Packer is not yet full-speed. The hope is she will be close to full-speed by the start of the season or, at least, by the start of SEC play.

SEASON DRAWS NEAR

Auburn opens its season on Feb. 10 against St. John’s in the NFCA Leadoff Classic in Clearwater, Fla. The Tigers play Fordham on the same day, games against Pittsburgh and Indiana on Feb. 11 and against Illinois on Feb. 12. They open SEC play at Georgia, starting on March 10.

A week later, the travel to Oklahoma for the Hall of Fame Classic, They play Weber State, followed by two games against Northwestern and two games again two-time defending national champion Oklahoma.

Here is D1Softball.com projected SEC projections:

D1Softball.com’s Projected SEC Standings

1.   Florida

2.   Arkansas

3.   Alabama

4.   Georgia

5.   Tennessee

6.   LSU

7.   Kentucky

8.   Auburn

9.   Ole Miss

10.               Missouri

11.               Mississippi State

12.               Texas A&M

13.               South Carolina

• Thanks 1

Most softball polls base their rankings off the previous year without much nuance on the circumstances, so they are not accounting for a healthy Lowe. I’m not sure if she will recreate her freshman year after surgery, but I’d bet she performs significantly better than last year.

I’m interested to see the lineup opening day. Dean hints some newcomers might displace some starters and some players will change positions.

Pitching: Penta and Lowe will split majority of the innings. Hopefully Widra / Tresvik / Rolfe can perform well enough to minimize the innings pitched for the first two.

Catching: I haven’t been impressed with the catching position under Dean since Veach left, so I’m excited to see true competition here. Blaine will be in the lineup somewhere due to her bat, Lisenby and Godwin both had great moments last year, and I am excited to see what Elkins can do. We’ll likely see all four throughout the season.

1B: I doubt we will see anyone unseat Bri.

2B: If Bryant is mobile following her ACL tear, I imagine she will start here. Widra and McCondichie will likely be her backups.

SS: I assume Peralta will start here, but Widra and Roach played during fall ball.

3B: Excited to see competition here. Cox and McNemar were great defensively, but I don’t think either were consistent at the plate. Looks like McCrary and Milanowski are competing. I also know Roberts has a big bat.

OF: McCondichie, Garcia, and Packer played early in the season then right field became a revolving door. Smith, Tresvik, Cooper and Cox played in Fall Ball.

DP: I imagine Blaine will start if she’s not catching. Bryant might fit in here if her mobility isn’t good enough for 2nd.

• Like 1

Really looking forward to see how the competition at catcher and 3rd plays out.  I really liked how McCondichie performed at 2nd last year.  She has good fielding stats.  With Packer status up in the air there may be a need for experience in the outfield that would cause her to move there.  Any Chance that Victoria Draper or Tiffany Howard have any eligibility remaining? 😁

19 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

Most softball polls base their rankings off the previous year without much nuance on the circumstances, so they are not accounting for a healthy Lowe. I’m not sure if she will recreate her freshman year after surgery, but I’d bet she performs significantly better than last year.

I’m interested to see the lineup opening day. Dean hints some newcomers might displace some starters and some players will change positions.

Pitching: Penta and Lowe will split majority of the innings. Hopefully Widra / Tresvik / Rolfe can perform well enough to minimize the innings pitched for the first two.

Catching: I haven’t been impressed with the catching position under Dean since Veach left, so I’m excited to see true competition here. Blaine will be in the lineup somewhere due to her bat, Lisenby and Godwin both had great moments last year, and I am excited to see what Elkins can do. We’ll likely see all four throughout the season.

1B: I doubt we will see anyone unseat Bri.

2B: If Bryant is mobile following her ACL tear, I imagine she will start here. Widra and McCondichie will likely be her backups.

SS: I assume Peralta will start here, but Widra and Roach played during fall ball.

3B: Excited to see competition here. Cox and McNemar were great defensively, but I don’t think either were consistent at the plate. Looks like McCrary and Milanowski are competing. I also know Roberts has a big bat.

OF: McCondichie, Garcia, and Packer played early in the season then right field became a revolving door. Smith, Tresvik, Cooper and Cox played in Fall Ball.

DP: I imagine Blaine will start if she’s not catching. Bryant might fit in here if her mobility isn’t good enough for 2nd.

I’m not sure of her catching ability but It would be great to have Blaine behind the plate.  We would finally have a catcher who could hit.  

4 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Really looking forward to see how the competition at catcher and 3rd plays out.  I really liked how McCondichie performed at 2nd last year.  She has good fielding stats.  With Packer status up in the air there may be a need for experience in the outfield that would cause her to move there.  Any Chance that Victoria Draper or Tiffany Howard have any eligibility remaining? 😁

I have to agree with you on McCondichie she really looked good at second.  I believe she could almost play anywhere.