2023 Softball Preseason

On 1/21/2023 at 12:57 PM, Jad0003 said:

Most softball polls base their rankings off the previous year without much nuance on the circumstances, so they are not accounting for a healthy Lowe. I’m not sure if she will recreate her freshman year after surgery, but I’d bet she performs significantly better than last year.

I’m interested to see the lineup opening day. Dean hints some newcomers might displace some starters and some players will change positions.

Pitching: Penta and Lowe will split majority of the innings. Hopefully Widra / Tresvik / Rolfe can perform well enough to minimize the innings pitched for the first two.

Catching: I haven’t been impressed with the catching position under Dean since Veach left, so I’m excited to see true competition here. Blaine will be in the lineup somewhere due to her bat, Lisenby and Godwin both had great moments last year, and I am excited to see what Elkins can do. We’ll likely see all four throughout the season.

1B: I doubt we will see anyone unseat Bri.

2B: If Bryant is mobile following her ACL tear, I imagine she will start here. Widra and McCondichie will likely be her backups.

SS: I assume Peralta will start here, but Widra and Roach played during fall ball.

3B: Excited to see competition here. Cox and McNemar were great defensively, but I don’t think either were consistent at the plate. Looks like McCrary and Milanowski are competing. I also know Roberts has a big bat.

OF: McCondichie, Garcia, and Packer played early in the season then right field became a revolving door. Smith, Tresvik, Cooper and Cox played in Fall Ball.

DP: I imagine Blaine will start if she’s not catching. Bryant might fit in here if her mobility isn’t good enough for 2nd.

IMO - Having watched McCondichie and Bryant both at second - my choice would be McCondichie.  Granted, her bat isn't quite as good but her fielding percentage is much better and she's a leader on the field.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

IMO - Having watched McCondichie and Bryant both at second - my choice would be McCondichie.  Granted, her bat isn't quite as good but her fielding percentage is much better and she's a leader on the field.  

I also think McCondichie was more consistent in the field, but Denver was one of our better hitters before her injury. If she is able to return to form, they’ll both be in the lineup somewhere. The coaches will have to balance offensive and defensive production when determining the lineup.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

What is Packer recovering from????

I wish I knew, but I don't think anything was ever released on her injury.  Practicing on turf introduced a lot of injuries that were unannounced.  Most have recovered, but I think we'll see them pop up again during the season, probably at the worst time.  

On 1/23/2023 at 11:52 AM, warladytigers said:

McCondichie led the team in hitting last year at .338.  Bryant was hitting .371 when she was injured, but that was early in the SEC schedule.  Everyone's average drops as we go through the SEC schedule, so Bryant probably would have been somewhat lower by season's end.  She does have more power, though.  Bottom line, I want both these girls in the lineup somewhere.  Problem is, I think there are 12+ girls that I want in the lineup all the time.🥸  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:36 AM, Golden Eagle said:

With all due respect,  Auburn's elite women athletes are proud Auburn Tigers, full stop.  Just like the men.  Although I know it's not your intention, the 'Lady' designation feels condescending to me (and, I suspect, to Auburn's women athletes).

The only university I'm aware of that officially uses the 'Lady' designation is Tennessee.  In 2014, they phased it out for all sports except women's basketball:

https://swimswam.com/university-tennessee-phases-lady-vols-name-womens-sports/

But in 2017 they brought it back:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20704564/tennessee-brings-back-lady-volunteers-name

No 'Lady Crimson Tide', 'Lady Bulldogs', 'Lady Gators', 'Lady Gamecocks', etc. - and, please, no 'Lady Tigers'!  Thanks and War Eagle!

Its a term of respect.   If you don't like being respected, that's fine.   Im glad the Vols regained their sanity in 2017.  

According to AU social media account the team will hold an open team scrimmage this Sunday, February 5, at 11 AM.  Current weather projections show mid 50's. and no rain.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slot canyon said:

According to AU social media account the team will hold an open team scrimmage this Sunday, February 5, at 11 AM.  Current weather projections show mid 50's. and no rain.

I saw that! Unfortunately, I have to be out of town. I'd be grateful for any updates the community is willing to pass along, or suggestions where I can watch for updates.

Feb 5 Phillip Marshall article:  https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/A-position-by-position-look-at-Auburn-softball-team-as-season-opener-nears-204261759/

I'm surprised McCrary is not listed as part of rotation at 3rd.  I thought she looked good there last spring. Interesting Tresvik in CF.

• Like 1

Links to a couple of articles.  Thought the comments by Ellis were interesting regarding what a toll the season took on her body and how she has changed her approach.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/For-Auburn-softball-slugger-Bri-Ellis-winning-matters-more-than-records-204416146/

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Transfers-play-significant-roles-for-Auburn-softball-team-204353291/

Sweet!  Free??  Somehow have to find a way to watch while working lol

• Like 1