Looking back at last season

Win4AU

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Season was doomed before we even made it out of Spring. 

You mean when we had to choose between Finley, RA, and HG as a starting quarterback ? Haha 

oh wait … 

All jokes aside- walking back to the tailgate at miss state in 2021, I told my brother I wanted him fired and that he would not make it very long at AU. 

On 1/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, Win4AU said:

When did you know things were probably going to be bumpy?  For me it was when TJ was announced as starting QB.  I had optimism that Calzada could be a good enough QB and Auburn had just enough talent to go on a run the way it did up to the Miss State game in 2021 before Bo go hurt.  I didn't foresee Auburn going undefeated but with enough wins maybe Auburn could turn around recruiting and things would start on an upward trajectory.  Once TJ was named starter I knew Auburn would be lucky to be over .500.  Knowing what I know now there was obviously a lot more things not working in that teams favor as long as Harsin was coach.  

The QB may have been part of the problem but it wasn't THE problem. I knew that we were in trouble the year before with the OL we had returning. Too many people look at the QB, but most of the time it's the big guys up front.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, Win4AU said:

When did you know things were probably going to be bumpy? 

The moment we didn't fire him in mid February 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, creed said:

The QB may have been part of the problem but it wasn't THE problem. I knew that we were in trouble the year before with the OL we had returning. Too many people look at the QB, but most of the time it's the big guys up front.

Even a superman like Patrick Mahomes looks human (slightly) when the O-Linemen is not up to par (See Super Bowl loss for reference.) O line and D-line has too be priority for any school.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

Even a superman like Patrick Mahomes looks human (slightly) when the O-Linemen is not up to par (See Super Bowl loss for reference.) O line and D-line has too be priority for any school.

Which thank god they have been for current staff.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

You mean when we had to choose between Finley, RA, and HG as a starting quarterback ? Haha 

oh wait … 

All jokes aside- walking back to the tailgate at miss state in 2021, I told my brother I wanted him fired and that he would not make it very long at AU. 

Yep....that's the game I started to doubt Harsin.  No way we should have given up a 25 point lead on MSU.  Complete incompetence the rest of that game.  Coulda/shoulda/woulda won the 2021 USCe game if he had any concept of what he was doing.  But the PSU game this year....for the first time since 2012, I walked away before the game was over; I couldn't watch the 4th quarter.  Had some family things going on most of this season and didn't watch much more until he was fired.  Too painful to see my team being lead so poorly.  If Harsin had been fired after PSU, we would have made a bowl game in 2022. 

• Like 1

2021 uat game was it for me - when Harsin thought he could outlast uat talent in OT. I was screaming to go for 2 in the first OT!!!! Win it or lose it right there!   LSU learned from Harsins bad coaching this year!  

• Like 4

On 1/14/2023 at 2:11 PM, alexava said:

Agree. I think he quit. I think he knew it was coming eventually and didn’t want to prolong it. I also can’t say I blame him. The way they went after him personally....it was not repairable. He really just showed he held the favorable position in the stand-off. 

You are probably correct in your assessment and in the process of quitting he probably established himself as the most hated and reviled former Auburn head coach of all time.

Penn State. I thought we'd win somewhat convincingly. 

Our early schedule was set up to be heading into UGA with a good record. 

Any coach with half a pulse would've had us 4-1 at worst going into Athens. 

Hindsight being a crystal clear 20/20, Harsin completely gave up year 2.   I mean, on Fall Friday nights, the man would watch his son RIDE THE BENCH.   Instead of recruiting high school football players, on, say, FRIDAY NIGHTS, he watched his son dress up in uniform and not play football.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

Hindsight being a crystal clear 20/20, Harsin completely gave up year 2.   I mean, on Fall Friday nights, the man would watch his son RIDE THE BENCH.   Instead of recruiting high school football players, on, say, FRIDAY NIGHTS, he watched his son dress up in uniform and not play football.  

And yet, we still had some rather prominent posters here carrying the "Hard for Harsin" foolishness to almost the bitter end. You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat their subordinate employees and from very early on there were reports of discontent with Harsin from workers in the athletic department. Hiring the guy was a mistake beyond measuring.

It was a mistake. Trying to fire him with cause and not honor the buyout was another mistake. Hiring Allen Green was probably the bigger mistake. 

9 hours ago, MaitlandTiger said:

I don't begrudge him watching his son. Family is important. However, if you are going to be a micromanager, you can't have the luxury of taking off to watch your kid. The whole situation was just so mismanaged.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

It was over before he ever stepped on the field and Harsin knew it.

Harsin had a fair chance. All he had to do was not be a jerk, treat people fairly and go to work. He proved to be incapable of any of those things.

• Like 1

I know I am probably a minority here, unless you hear me out, but here goes. I was not a huge fan of the hire but I supported Harsin even through the off season accusations all the way up to about halfway through the past season. I just had to wake up and see him for what he was and that is just a bad coach. I knew he was starting with both hands tied behind his back thanks to terrible recruiting of Gus & Co. But at some point it was just evident he was out of his league and I didnt even know about the recruiting, attitude issues cause I had stepped away from here and other news sites. 

But I think the real issue is Allen Greene. I mean, you hired a dude based on a conversation in a Hot Tub at a conference??? We should have known it right then but we were just hoping for something great to get us out of mediocrity. 

I've heard this in church for years and its true in life. Change just for the sake of change is not good. 

Making a coaching hire that is "out of the box" usually is not a good idea either. 

I place the majority of the blame on Allen Greene personally. Harsin being a close 2nd. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

I know I am probably a minority here, unless you hear me out, but here goes. I was not a huge fan of the hire but I supported Harsin even through the off season accusations all the way up to about halfway through the past season. I just had to wake up and see him for what he was and that is just a bad coach. I knew he was starting with both hands tied behind his back thanks to terrible recruiting of Gus & Co. But at some point it was just evident he was out of his league and I didnt even know about the recruiting, attitude issues cause I had stepped away from here and other news sites. 

But I think the real issue is Allen Greene. I mean, you hired a dude based on a conversation in a Hot Tub at a conference??? We should have known it right then but we were just hoping for something great to get us out of mediocrity. 

I've heard this in church for years and its true in life. Change just for the sake of change is not good. 

Making a coaching hire that is "out of the box" usually is not a good idea either. 

I place the majority of the blame on Allen Greene personally. Harsin being a close 2nd. 

You blame Harsin choosing not to leverage relationships, choosing not to prioritize recruiting and choosing not to familiarize himself his players on the AD? 

Makes total sense. 

Also, AG is the scapegoat. A whole host of people interviewed and supported the hire. It has been talked about 10 times over. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

You blame Harsin choosing not to leverage relationships, choosing not to prioritize recruiting and choosing not to familiarize himself his players on the AD? 

Makes total sense. 

Also, AG is the scapegoat. A whole host of people interviewed and supported the hire. It has been talked about 10 times over. 

Yes

Yes

Maybe so, but I just came back to this board a couple months ago. I was just stating my opinion for the first time. 

On 1/14/2023 at 1:30 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Tumblr_l_226273036312286.jpg

i have three rescues and they keep me from traveling but god i love them so much! one was so abused if you pick her up she will potty all over you from being scared. when i think of what must have been done i get livid!. but dogs are pampered. they eat steak tho not as much lately. they get treats at least twice a day and they love cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets. they love fried chicken livers from popeye's as well but they got a bit pricey. i treat my dogs like gold...........hell when they get nervous i sing to them. and they reward me with so much love.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Yes

Yes

Maybe so, but I just came back to this board a couple months ago. I was just stating my opinion for the first time. 

and you have every right to do so.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 3:28 PM, Win4AU said:

When did you know things were probably going to be bumpy?  For me it was when TJ was announced as starting QB.  I had optimism that Calzada could be a good enough QB and Auburn had just enough talent to go on a run the way it did up to the Miss State game in 2021 before Bo go hurt.  I didn't foresee Auburn going undefeated but with enough wins maybe Auburn could turn around recruiting and things would start on an upward trajectory.  Once TJ was named starter I knew Auburn would be lucky to be over .500.  Knowing what I know now there was obviously a lot more things not working in that teams favor as long as Harsin was coach.  

Well the warnings came in the offseason. But at least we knew it was Harsin's ship to captain from bow to stern.

When Brahms was sent out to pasture that was the start of concern. Confirmed when the wheels came flying off against a mediocre Penn State and realized that Harsin's way was not going to be enough.

On 1/16/2023 at 5:58 PM, W.E.D said:

The moment we didn't fire him in mid February 

Same for me.

When knives were out in February and folks wanted him gone and news from the AD was leaking like a sieve, I knew the guy was doomed.  HE could've made the choice to turn things around, and some Mods on this board assured us he'd made a lot of improvement within his own department and on the recruiting trail.  Sunshine was pumping like lava in the weeks after he was retained, and conscious efforts were made as our beat writers and recruiting gurus were glowing.  People couldn't pump out enough positivity almost all of last Spring. 

I wanted to believe, but as it turns out leopards don't change their spots so easily. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I stopped watching the games after game #1.... I just couldn't bring myself to even watch another game with no game plan (it never looked like we had one....... Or it was abandoned after the first snap).

Scratch my head at yet another O line group with little talent, no cohesion, or even the appearance of preparation......

But what really finished it off for me was watching TJ sail pass after pass over the heads of his receivers, not seeing his route progressions, and bailing out of the pocket too early which resulted in running for his life.  All the while he's launching the ball to where the receiver is supposed to be..... This resulted in unnecessary jump balls because of ridiculously long developing route schemes.

The Brian Harsin experience is thankfully over.  Gus had earned a couple of years to right the ship ..... I hope Auburn sues Harsin for breach of contract.  He didn't just misrepresent his coaching ability, he was completely fraudulent in his responsibility.

He should be prosecuted as a grifter. I would not allow a golden parachute clause to be awarded to this con man. Instead he should be served with a detinue bond notice for recovery of stolen assets (his pay was granted under fraudulent pretenses)..........

Ok I feel better