Jump to content

Men vs Miss State Game Thread


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Hint. You can run the baseline AFTER a made FG or FT......

I was yelling this at the tv last night.  Not only did Flanigan not move even an inch, he was throwing it directly under the basket.  On a designated spot throw in, the official will never give a player the ball under the basket.  It's always on either side of the basket.   

Also, when a player can run the baseline, you can also have another player step out of bounds on the baseline and make a pass across the baseline to a different player to throw it in.  

b. In Rule 7-4-6.a.1-4, any player of the throw-in team may make a direct
throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) who is
also out of bounds.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites





Refs were awful!  (as usual)

MSU absolutely manhandled us in the paint!!!😳

If they make a couple of 3s this is a much different ballgame.   0-18 is unreal!!!
An ugly win is always better than a pretty loss.   War Eagle!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2023 at 9:49 AM, Mikey said:

From my viewpoint, we got whipped in every phase except 3 point shooting and a three minute takeover of the game by Wendell Green. Glad AU won but unless Coach Pearl continues to pull rabbits out of his hat there are some dark days on the horizon.

This is simply not accurate. The only place we got whipped was on the free throw line where they took 15 more and made 11 more than we did. Otherwise the boxscore was pretty balanced: they won rebounding and turnovers narrowly, we won assists and steals narrowly. We have had a fouling issue in several of our close games and losses. That is an issue to keep an eye on moving forward. 

 

I don't understand the negative outlook on this team. We are in the top 16 in rankings, top 3 of the league currently and at or above expectations at this point in my opinion. Our league schedule gets tougher and if we want to compete for the league we have to play better, but there are no dark days ahead. My gosh do we remember what dark days are? They certainly are not what is currently happening.

22 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I was yelling this at the tv last night.  Not only did Flanigan not move even an inch, he was throwing it directly under the basket.  On a designated spot throw in, the official will never give a player the ball under the basket.  It's always on either side of the basket.   

Also, when a player can run the baseline, you can also have another player step out of bounds on the baseline and make a pass across the baseline to a different player to throw it in.  

b. In Rule 7-4-6.a.1-4, any player of the throw-in team may make a direct
throw-in or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate(s) who is
also out of bounds.

Flan is not our normal inbounds guy. JW and the 4 handles that, but due to foul trouble and CBP not trusting Yohan Flan was there. Not an excuse per se, just an observation, should have been better execution late. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's just is what it is at this point.....we could really use a more sound point but we don't have this and there's no point in revisiting I guess. We just have to go with what we do have and hope for the best.

I will say personally though as much as I love Bruce I'm going to bring up and hold him accountable if I see mistakes this big made in talent evaluation in the future

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

It's just is what it is at this point.....we could really use a more sound point but we don't have this and there's no point in revisiting I guess. We just have to go with what we do have and hope for the best.

I will say personally though as much as I love Bruce I'm going to bring up and hold him accountable if I see mistakes this big made in talent evaluation in the future

Lack of production from our freshman is surprising, and management of Westry has been a disappointment for sure. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree. And I know it's a game so we are going to speak on things but just coming complaining about the same stuff EVERY SINGLE game doesn't make sense to me. Especially when there's not anybody disputing the obvious. 

I can't tell anyone what to do but I'm just saying what I do personally, and personally how much I'll praise someone is how much I'll criticize them. If I'm not going to come on talking how great they are everyday, or how great they are every shot then I'm not going to kill them on how bad they played everyday or talk about every missed shot. But that's just me. 

But just back to our guys at times you go out and you try to find a diamond in the rough of course, but I'm now thinking maybe we missed on a couple of lower division guys and maybe they are just better suited for lower division. I don't know one way or the other though.

I actually was talking to Mark the other day and he reminded me of one thing I told him before all of his success and when people doubted him, that he makes sure to do to this day. Even if you are playing bad for whatever reason still do something to be valuable on the court.

I say that to say I feel like if green isn't hot he's not offering anything else, and this season has been bad for him as far as shooting goes, all of our guards really. If they would work on their overall game, I think that would take our overall team to another level. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Lack of production from our freshman is surprising, and management of Westry has been a disappointment for sure. 

Like AF last year and into this year,  I'm not sure Westry will have his hops back or his confidence after his injury.  And he's a Freshman.

At least that is what I'm hoping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been impressed with Jaylin lately.  He is actually giving me that confident feeling when he fires from three and he is hustling out there.  Want to see more mid-range from everyone, but especially from Flan.  Doesn't it seem like with his leaping ability that he could be near impossible to block with a mid-range pull up? Actually saw a little mid-range from Lior. He was making them too.  I think if he is able to contribute in that area and with his hustle off the ball, I would like to see continued minutes with this group we have.  Because we know his is practically money if he does get a spot up three.  We need that threat and he hit a nice one in this game with a guy in his face.  I think he looks more comfortable this year.  Probably the USA team experience helped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like to me we’ve reduced our wild drives to the basket and are shooting more midrange.  Our 3’s - with exceptions- seem to be better takes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Looks like to me we’ve reduced our wild drives to the basket and are shooting more midrange.  Our 3’s - with exceptions- seem to be better takes.

I guess the main downfall of the new approach, we are being too patient at times and shooting an ill-advised shot with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.

LSU guarded us very deep in the backcourt though.  Moreso than I usually see teams defend us.  So we were not close enough to run our offense (whatever that is lol) effectively.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...