Preferred Walk-On: RB Christian Burnette chooses AU!

RunInRed

• RunInRed changed the title to Preferred Walk-On: RB Christian Burnette chooses AU!

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

The highlight of this for me is that 4.3 GPA. That is legit.

Surprised a guy with 4.3 GPA doesn’t know better than to say University of Auburn.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, weagl1 said:

Surprised a guy with 4.3 GPA doesn’t know better than to say University of Auburn.  

Did that offend you?

1 hour ago, weagl1 said:

Not sure why that happens as often as it does but I guess it is The University of the city of Auburn. :dunno:

Had to look him up:  Link

The Tigers are rounding out their loaded running back room with an in-state back.

Christian Burnette, a running back/outside linebacker from Faith Academy in Mobile, AL, has announced that he will be continuing his academic and athletic career at Auburn University, per his social media.

Burnette was a standout running back at Faith, rushing for 1,205 yards (6.8 yards per carry) and 16 touchdowns. He also added on 16 receptions for 212 yards and one touchdown. He led the Rams in all-purpose yards and helped them on their way to a semifinal AHSAA playoff berth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He is 6'1" and 205 pounds and put up good numbers against less than elite talent. His film looks solid. Does anybody know how fast he is? It seems with that size if he had wheels he would have had some offers.

Alabama was looking to use him as a PWO on too. Glad he is willing to put in the work to earn a football scholarship. I imagine he got some funding of sorts for his academics.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/mobile-native-earns-pwo-offer-auburn-tigers-football-recruiting

Edited by DAG

4 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Allen Green did the same..

4 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Does anyone ever hear the "University of Vanderbilt?"  How about the University of Purdue?  I never have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

Does anyone ever hear the "University of Vanderbilt?"  How about the University of Purdue?  I never have.

But do recruits actually go to those places?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I imagine he got some funding of sorts for his academics.

In years past that was done to circumvent scholarship limits, but that practice is no longer available.  An academic scholarship to a football player is now counted as one of the 85 scholarships. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

In years past that was done to circumvent scholarship limits, but that practice is no longer available.  An academic scholarship to a football player is now counted as one of the 85 scholarships. 

how about a small NIL deal?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I can’t state with absolute certainty, but I would bet the ranch that NIL deals can only be made with scholarship players.  If that isn’t the case then there would be no point In scholarship limits. 

You obviously have to be talented to get a scholarship or even be a PWO at a D1 school or any college for that matter but I see how he’s a walk on. Not bad but nothing too crazy but best of luck to him

3 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Small or large, it doesn't matter. To repeat what's been said elsewhere, there is no need for scholarships any more. If a school had the money they could just give huge NIL deals to 100 or so players and forget football scholarships. This is going to be the next big thing. It's probably going on right now but coaches and so forth don't want this information out there for obvious reasons.

2 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I can’t state with absolute certainty, but I would bet the ranch that NIL deals can only be made with scholarship players.  If that isn’t the case then there would be no point In scholarship limits. 

You nailed it. There is no longer any point in scholarship limits. All it will take is a pile of money.

3 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

There's a little wiggle room there. What you wrote is accurate as it pertains to a recruited player. If a player wasn't recruited then he/she can get academic help. I suppose there a lengthy discourse on what makes a recruited player but I've never looked into it. AU had a basketball player on academic scholarship a few years ago that was not "recruited". We can thank Bryant at bammer for this rule. In the 1970's he had numerous football players on academic scholarship before someone blew the whistle on him and the NCAA reacted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2