Preferred Walk-On: RB Christian Burnette chooses AU!

RunInRed

12 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I can’t state with absolute certainty, but I would bet the ranch that NIL deals can only be made with scholarship players.  If that isn’t the case then there would be no point In scholarship limits. 

The whole point of NIL was that scholarship athletes COULDN'T get money that other students could. I'd be shocked if a walk-on can't get sponsored by an NIL group, just like any other student, and still be a walk-on.

Of course I could be wrong. It's one of those unintended consequences, like having a bajillion analyst making up a ghost coaching staff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

I can’t state with absolute certainty, but I would bet the ranch that NIL deals can only be made with scholarship players.  If that isn’t the case then there would be no point In scholarship limits. 

The non-scholarship guys still own the rights to their name, image, and likeness.  I don't think scholarship limits mean much any more.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 2:35 PM, DAG said:

The highlight of this for me is that 4.3 GPA. That is legit.

Kid had a scholarship offer from Dartmouth.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Small or large, it doesn't matter. To repeat what's been said elsewhere, there is no need for scholarships any more. If a school had the money they could just give huge NIL deals to 100 or so players and forget football scholarships. This is going to be the next big thing. It's probably going on right now but coaches and so forth don't want this information out there for obvious reasons.

It won't happen because who in the hell has that much money or interest in paying it? 

Boosters are already getting tired of being asked to donate, and the price-tags of some of these players is already causing people to tap out - and this is for starting caliber players. Who in the hell wants to pay the hypothetical 100th man on a roster money? You realize that the 100th man on a roster NEVER gets into a game, right? 

An NFL roster is 53 players, only ~48 of whom can actually suit up for a game. But you think that an NCAA program has the appetite or funds to pay Joe Schmoe the 6th string RB (player #90 on the overall roster lmao) to suit up on the Scout team?

No, the vast majority of an NCAA team's yearly "budget" will go towards paying it's QB and star players, and their elite HS recruits. Nobody gives a s*** about wasting money so that you can "skirt the scholarship limits" by coercing player #90 to walk onto your team. This provides absolutely zero benefit. 

Edited by metafour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 hours ago, aucat said:

he will   earn his scholarship before his sophomore

I hope his 4.3 GPA helps him write better than you.

I'll take the bet that he doesn't have a scholarship by next year.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

8 hours ago, metafour said:

It won't happen because who in the hell has that much money or interest in paying it? 

I don't know that any school would. My point is, that if some school wants to do so, they can buy all the players they want and scholarship numbers don't matter. Harvard, Yale, Vanderbilt, Stanford could all afford to buy 100 players. Will they? Probably not but there's nothing in the rules that would stop them.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, tinman1 said:

Does anyone ever hear the "University of Vanderbilt?"  How about the University of Purdue?  I never have.

Well, it could be worse.  This particular school doesn't even know how it should be.  Look at the logo compared to the name of the University.  Which is it? lol

image.png.80fa9d90884c0b4ec6b326f1513c99ec.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2023 at 9:00 AM, DAG said:

Alabama was looking to use him as a PWO on too. Glad he is willing to put in the work to earn a football scholarship. I imagine he got some funding of sorts for his academics.

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/mobile-native-earns-pwo-offer-auburn-tigers-football-recruiting

Yes, maybe he has parents that are in this unique situation where they have jobs. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 10:19 PM, Mikey said:

I don't know that any school would. My point is, that if some school wants to do so, they can buy all the players they want and scholarship numbers don't matter. Harvard, Yale, Vanderbilt, Stanford could all afford to buy 100 players. Will they? Probably not but there's nothing in the rules that would stop them.

Well, the school can’t pay anything outside of scholarships.   Now, if you are referring to boosters, that’s a different thing.   I would be willing to bet that no one/collective is going to pay for 85 football players.   Makes no sense.   What about all the other sports?  Where is the return on investment for said donor/collective?   This whole idea of collective is stupid in my opinion and doesn’t fit the purpose of NiL.   The original intent was to benefit both player and party that was giving money (aka endorsements for that product).  

10 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Well, the school can’t pay anything outside of scholarships.   Now, if you are referring to boosters, that’s a different thing.   I would be willing to bet that no one/collective is going to pay for 85 football players.   Makes no sense.   What about all the other sports?  Where is the return on investment for said donor/collective?   This whole idea of collective is stupid in my opinion and doesn’t fit the purpose of NiL.   The original intent was to benefit both player and party that was giving money (aka endorsements for that product).  

Look: The 100 number was an exaggeration to prove a point. First point being, there is nothing to stop a school's NIL from doing that.

Primary point being: SCHOLARSHIP LIMITS NO LONGER MATTER. Suppose Auburn is at the 85 limit this May and two very good players become available. All the NIL has to do is pony up the money and these two walk on at Auburn, with thousands of $ from the NIL collective instead of a football scholarship. That will happen sooner or later at some school near you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Look: The 100 number was an exaggeration to prove a point. First point being, there is nothing to stop a school's NIL from doing that.

Primary point being: SCHOLARSHIP LIMITS NO LONGER MATTER. Suppose Auburn is at the 85 limit this May and two very good players become available. All the NIL has to do is pony up the money and these two walk on at Auburn, with thousands of $ from the NIL collective instead of a football scholarship. That will happen sooner or later at some school near you.

There should just be a cap on how many players a team can have.  no schollies other than academic. .  Say 120 players-ish total for football.  (and a reasonable limit on all school sports)

Distribute the NIL any way the school wants to.  It may stop some of the ridiculous amount being talked about for just one or two players on a team if you are responsible for all 100 players.   Even the scout team and "walk ons"  can get a small NIL if the school prefers a player that is a project .   you just can not go over the 120 player limit.

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

There should just be a cap on how many players a team can have.  no schollies other than academic. .  Say 120 players-ish total for football.  (and a reasonable limit on all school sports)

Distribute the NIL any way the school wants to.  It may stop some of the ridiculous amount being talked about for just one or two players on a team if you are responsible for all 100 players.   Even the scout team and "walk ons"  can get a small NIL if the school prefers a player that is a project .   you just can not go over the 120 player limit.

This isn't a bad idea. Something needs to be done to stop the wild west foolishness. I don't know what it could be, considering the decisions of the courts but some measure of control needs to be put into place.

23 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Well, it could be worse.  This particular school doesn't even know how it should be.  Look at the logo compared to the name of the University.  Which is it? lol

That's always been confusing to me too. On a side note I have a new LGM that is a Bama fan. He actually asked the other day what we were, Tigers or Eagles, making fun of course. The utter irony of a Bama fan saying that 🙄

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Another logo that is confusing is UCLA. Why are the c, l and a lower case?

Screenshot_20230119-095431~2.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Another logo that is confusing is UCLA. Why are the c, l and a lower case?

Screenshot_20230119-095431~2.png

Great Question!

On 1/16/2023 at 6:29 PM, tinman1 said:

Does anyone ever hear the "University of Vanderbilt?"  How about the University of Purdue?  I never have.

I’m hoping to hear a recruit talk about the University of LSU or the University of TCU.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

Scholarship numbers already don't matter because NOBODY - not even Alabama or Georgia, has 85 players on their roster with absolutely nobody who can be "processed" out at any given point in time.

Nobody has 85 players who are all irreplaceable. Even if you sign nothing but 4 and 5 stars every year, you are still going to have guys who are duds and are just depth-chart fodder.

So under your scenario where there are 2 very good players available but we're at 85 scholarships already, all you need to do is process 2 players from your current roster. That's literally what everyone is already doing and has been doing for years.

What you are describing is entirely possible from a technical standpoint, but the point you're missing is that nobody will do it because it's a waste of money with no actual benefit to the end result. Georgia hasn't won back to back titles because their #83, #84, and #85 players on their roster are better than everyone else's #83, #84, and #85 players. Those guys don't even see the field at any point in time during the season. They've won because the guys who actually see the field are elite and better than everyone else's guys who actually see the field.

So let's pretend you have $250K sitting around and you're at 85 scholarships already. Why would I give player #86 that money to "walk-on" when I can instead use that money to upgrade let's say the weakest actual starter on my team by bringing in an impact player from another player? If you want that #86 scholarship guy so badly, you can literally just tell someone off the current roster to find a new school. Paying someone money to pretend to be a "walk-on" has extremely low if not negative return-on-capital lol.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:16 AM, AUBwins said:

Prime’s new school calls itself CU.

This guy's addition to our RB popl is his great hands out of the backfield.

And no, I havent heard anybody say University of Harvard, Univ of Yale, etc either. He's a local out of MOBILE w/ top tier grades but isnt aware it's Auburn University? Legit annoying but whatever - welcome to University of Auburn (doh!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, metafour said:

What you are describing is entirely possible from a technical standpoint

Yes, you got the point!