Question on NIL Crowdfunding for Specific Players

AU Is Gold

Feel free to remove this, but what's the ruling on a crowdfunding startup for a certain player during the recruitment process. It could have aspects like Kickstarter or GoFundMe. A contract is made in the system for a certain player and Auburn can accept or deny the contract. If it is accepted then the player can start receiving fundraising. If he or she signs with the school then the funds are given to the player. If they don't sign, the money is sent back to the funder's account. This seems inevitable in the future anyway. 

It’s already so screwed up that this would make it ridiculously hard to keep up with what’s going on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

This seems inevitable in the future anyway.

It's probably already going on, in some form or another. It's the wild west and anything goes, just keep it on the downlow, Cuz.

• Like 1

It’s contracted out. The player has certain stipulations for the contract.

read about the qb that recently left Florida because his $13M deal fell through. It gives some insight on how things are working these days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

It’s contracted out. The player has certain stipulations for the contract.

read about the qb that recently left Florida because his $13M deal fell through. It gives some insight on how things are working these days. 

It's amazing but not unexpected with these kids. I can't blame them for trying to get what they can. They didn't write the rules and a there is better than average probability that this kid will not be able to produce in the NFL so grab something when your stock is up. Do I think it's ridiculous to pay a college QB 13 million before he has achieved anything, of course. The portal and NIL has decimated a player's  dedication to one team. I predict some sort of salary cap before this gets up in the stratosphere. A player that can demand that kind of money and more should be able to be a one-and-done or straight to the NFL but the NFL has no interest so far in a large scale feeder league (AAA or AA in baseball with teams in most major cities). I fear this situation is an unstoppable force against an immovable object.....   

Salary cap?  What’s the point?  uat will double the cap under the table.  Just keep it as is - all above the board.

the only way to keep it on an even playing field would be to have a draft.  Have kids enter the draft by conference.  Kids decide which conference they want to play in; then they enter that particular conference draft.  

Edited by AUY2K

My two cents is that there has to be some sort of return on investment. That is, if a player signs the deal, he’s set in for the length of the contract. Additionally, anything off the field that hurts the contract voids the contract. Don’t perform? Don’t get paid. Also, everybody needs to know what everybody makes. I agree…transparency is everything…and let’s not make it about education…this has nothing to do with their degree. 

• Like 1