Early 2023 predictions

gr82b4au

22 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Right now we're probably a 7-5 team.  Maybe beat some mediocre team in the B12 in Tampa to get to 8-5

I'd hate to waste the best schedule we've had of the playoff era all because we couldn't find a good transfer QB--which shouldn't be that difficult, given the track record of our HC and OC. Didn't JLee say this week Freeze had a plan in that regard?

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

I'd hate to waste the best schedule we've had of the playoff era all because we couldn't find a good transfer QB--which shouldn't be that difficult, given the track record of our HC and OC. Didn't JLee say this week Freeze had a plan in that regard?

You didn't think we'd be a playoff team year one if we got a QB, did you?

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

You didn't think we'd be a playoff team year one if we got a QB, did you?

There’s a wide spectrum between 7-5 and a playoff team. So no.

Point being, I think we could go 9-4 if we could just get one. And that would be a damn good first year.

Edited by AUwent

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Right now we're probably a 7-5 team.  Maybe beat some mediocre team in the B12 in Tampa to get to 8-5

This is exactly my prediction with the current roster. 

1 hour ago, cbo said:

This is exactly my prediction with the current roster. 

And if we get a good QB out of the portal (on the level of, say, McCall)?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AUwent said:

And if we get a good QB out of the portal (on the level of, say, McCall)?

I could easily see 6 wins if we don't add a QB. 

Probably 8 wins with a QB on the level of McCall. 

I don't like this roster. All Harsin's fault. 

What do you think?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I could easily see 6 wins if we don't add a QB. 

Probably 8 wins with a QB on the level of McCall. 

I don't like this roster. All Harsin's fault. 

What do you think?

Completely agree. I do feel our roster is improved thanks to BHF's work in the TP, but obviously not playoff level. It would be incredibly disappointing if we don't land a decent QB, though--I see no reason we shouldn't be able to.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, AUwent said:

There’s a wide spectrum between 7-5 and a playoff team. So no.

Point being, I think we could go 9-4 if we could just get one. And that would be a damn good first year.

Ok, you mentioned playoffs and thought you were thinking we could be in it.

8-4 with a Bowl win to 9-4 is Def possible if we can land a competent QB or have that from Ashford/HG

• Like 1

I watched Josh Pate’s surprise teams and he posted the schedule.  I paused and thought about likely outcomes.

very possible Auburn is 3-0 heading into TaMu.  Let’s say Auburn loses its next 3 @TaMu, UGA, @LSU.  3-3

Return home to our new rival Ole Miss in a huge game.  W’s next 5.  The Mississippis, Vandy, Arky, and New Mexico.  8-3 with Bama coming to Jordan Hare.  That JHS magic is a thing.  8-4, 9-3.  

How good Texas A&M or LSU is could be the difference in a 10 win season.  

• Like 2

I think we will have another QB by the start of the season. Robbie has a lot of talent but unless someone can straighten out his head he is never going to get any better. I have watched him since high school and he hasn't changed a bit. If things go good he is always healthy and upbeat but the second something goes wrong he starts holding his arm or limping or something else. When he was in high school he had George Pickens who could catch anything close. When they scored a TD Robbie was the first one under the tent. When something went bad a coach had to come find him. I didn't see much change in attitude this past year. Freeze might be the answer for him though. We will see.      

• Thanks 1

I agree. Just looking at the Auburn schedule, I'm thinking 7-5 is pretty reasonable. Thing is, if Auburn can put together an OL that is competitive in SEC play, and if Auburn can put together a DL and LB group that can compete at the SEC level, and if RA or some other QB can step up and play SEC ball, Auburn might pull in another win, maybe 2. But for now, I'm at 7-5.

56 minutes ago, AURex said:

I agree. Just looking at the Auburn schedule, I'm thinking 7-5 is pretty reasonable. Thing is, if Auburn can put together an OL that is competitive in SEC play, and if Auburn can put together a DL and LB group that can compete at the SEC level, and if RA or some other QB can step up and play SEC ball, Auburn might pull in another win, maybe 2. But for now, I'm at 7-5.

So if all the position groups are SEC caliber? That would probably make Auburn or any other SEC school in contention to win the conference championship 

On 1/21/2023 at 11:28 AM, Win4AU said:

I think unfortunately Miss State is going to be awful with the loss of Leach.  He did them no favors in recruiting since he’s got there.  
I think LSU will take a step back

I could see Bama stumble and rumbles about Saban beginning 

Texas A&M is the real wild card.  

Auburn will be in the hunt in the West but probably finishes 3rd and pulls a top 5 recruiting class and another strong transfer class.

Georgia has zero problems in the East.  
Mizzou could surprise and challenge for 2nd.

i agree on texas A&M but i also have some faith that jimbo will mess them up like he did FSU. i have heard there are problems in the locker room and reports of players smoking that evil green lettuce which makes me assume they are already going downhill.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DAG said:

So if all the position groups are SEC caliber? That would probably make Auburn or any other SEC school in contention to win the conference championship 

I'd argue you can be SEC caliber, but still not be as good as the elite teams in the SEC.

So we're probably enough to beat every team on our schedule except UGA/Bama and possibly LSU b/c it is in BR.

Edited by W.E.D

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd argue you can be SEC caliber, but still not be as good as the elite teams in the SEC.

Well when I think of SEC caliber , I am thinking of UGA, BAMA, etc. Not Arkansas or Kentucky. Arkansas is for sure not SEC caliber at every position. To me that separates the elite teams from just the good teams. If we are SEC caliber at every position then we should have an LSU like turnaround.

Edited by DAG

• 2 weeks later...