Remembering Pat Sullivan

Son of A Tiger

59 minutes ago, Son of A Tiger said:

Today is Pat Sullivan's birthday. He would have been 73. Probably my favorite player of all time.

He was my first favorite for sure. I still like how those mesh jerseys looked. 

He was a hero to me as a kid. Heisman year I was 11. Got an autograph at a Parisian’s with my mom while he was shopping one day. 
also have this!

2ABC6FDB-E722-4539-B5C1-9153A974D78F.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Son of A Tiger said:

May be an image of 5 people, people playing football and text

Sullivan to Beasley.  Great memories from when I was 10 years old.

• Like 2

What I remember is his first game his sophomore year. AU had been a 3 yards and a cloud of dust for as long as I could remember. Think Tucker Fredrickson era. I am not gonna look it up cause I'm just too lazy, but I believe his first play at AU as varsity was an incomplete bomb to Beasley against Clemson (?). You could hear the crowd cheering on the radio. For an incomplete pass. Think Spurrier at Florida as a coach. That's how different, and fun that era was. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

What I remember is his first game his sophomore year. AU had been a 3 yards and a cloud of dust for as long as I could remember. Think Tucker Fredrickson era. I am not gonna look it up cause I'm just too lazy, but I believe his first play at AU as varsity was an incomplete bomb to Beasley against Clemson (?). You could hear the crowd cheering on the radio. For an incomplete pass. Think Spurrier at Florida as a coach. That's how different, and fun that era was. 

Your memory of the first play is correct. I was in the stands and the crowd did, indeed, cheer the incompletion. That was the first of many cheers in the Sullivan/Beasley era.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Your memory of the first play is correct. I was in the stands and the crowd did, indeed, cheer the incompletion. That was the first of many cheers in the Sullivan/Beasley era.

Yep. AU fans could barely comprehend throwing a pass that far. Especially on first down!

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 1

I’ll never forget the scene when Dye hired him as OC in 1986.  They called a reverse down on the goal line against Alabama late in the game and Lawyer Tillman got the ball but wasn’t supposed to be the one to run it.  He tried to call time out but it was too late so he ran it anyway and ended up scoring.   Dye started jumping up and down waving his arms and Pat was just standing there laughing at him.  I saw Pat throw hundreds of beautiful passes (mostly to Terry Beasley) but that was my favorite memory of him.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I will never forget Sullivan leading the freshman team back from a 27-0 deficit in Tuscaloosa to win 35-27. The final score came on a strike to Terry Beasley

:tdau:

• Like 2

When I was growing up my best friend had a Sullivan jersey and I had a Beasley jersey.   We were inseparable and wore those jerseys all the time.   I still remember when Sullivan was accepting the Heisman he said he thought it should have been Beasley up there accepting the award instead.   Class act.   Great Auburn man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1