Climate Activism Has a Cult Problem

AUFAN78

As a member of Extinction Rebellion, writes Zion Lights, I watched people brainwashed into pulling outrageous stunts in the name of 'saving the planet.'

https://www.thefp.com/p/climate-activism-has-a-cult-problem

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

That's because AGW is a HOAX, right?

Just ask IM and 78.

Hot: Global warming

Rain: Global warming

Dry: Global warming

Cold: Just weather.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Hot: Global warming

Rain: Global warming

Dry: Global warming

Cold: Just weather.

Actually, the unusually severe winter storms are quite possibly a symptom of AGW. 

(Doubt you have ever heard of the "polar vortex", have you?)

https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/climate-change-impacts/why-polar-vortex-keeps-breaking-out-arctic

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/12/what-on-earth-is-a-polar-vortex-and-whats-global-warming-got-to-do-with-it/

https://www.eesi.org/briefings/view/041322climatechange

But you believe AGW is a HOAX, right?

Just now, homersapien said:

Actually, the unusually severe winter storms are quite possibly a symptom of AGW. 

(Doubt you have ever heard of the "polar vortex", have you?)

https://scied.ucar.edu/learning-zone/climate-change-impacts/why-polar-vortex-keeps-breaking-out-arctic

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2022/12/what-on-earth-is-a-polar-vortex-and-whats-global-warming-got-to-do-with-it/

https://www.eesi.org/briefings/view/041322climatechange

But you believe AGW is a HOAX, right?

I have heard of the polar vortex.  Growing up we called that “winter”.

Whatever fluctuations occur in climate are natural and reoccurring as they have throughout time. Nothing humans can do will change that no matter how much money is fleeced from the public in the name of climate change. Why do they call it climate change? Because they can’t figure out if it warming or cooling or nothing. Remember the  storm river from last week? Meteorologists said they had no idea that was coming or why. But they can tell me what is coming in 50 years? They don’t know what is coming in 3 hours. You go ahead and pay them all the money they want. B

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Without context we could all be swayed.

Could you reference this in a format I can access?

What does it claim?

So do you believe AGW is real or not?

17 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

I have heard of the polar vortex.  Growing up we called that “winter”.

Whatever fluctuations occur in climate are natural and reoccurring as they have throughout time. Nothing humans can do will change that no matter how much money is fleeced from the public in the name of climate change. Why do they call it climate change? Because they can’t figure out if it warming or cooling or nothing. Remember the  storm river from last week? Meteorologists said they had no idea that was coming or why. But they can tell me what is coming in 50 years? They don’t know what is coming in 3 hours. You go ahead and pay them all the money they want. B

Your ignorance and rejection of the science is duly noted.

Hope you aren't an Auburn grad.  Makes the rest of us look bad.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So do you believe AGW is real or not?

It maybe real, but to believe mankind can alter the warming by spending trillions of dollars on wind mills and solar panels is ludicrous.  Can you point to one prediction that has accurately depicted the future from the Davos crowd?

I got excited when Gore said the oceans were boiling.   I was going to the nearest beach with some old bay seasoning and cocktail sauce to scarf up on some boiled shrimp only to find he was just fear mongering.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It maybe real, but to believe mankind can alter the warming by spending trillions of dollars on wind mills and solar panels is ludicrous.  Can you point to one prediction that has accurately depicted the future from the Davos crowd?

I got excited when Gore said the oceans were boiling.   I was going to the nearest beach with some old bay seasoning and cocktail sauce to scarf up on some boiled shrimp only to find he was just fear mongering.

Speaking of Davos..............

https://www.greenpeace.org/international/press-release/57867/hundreds-of-ultra-short-private-jet-flights-to-davos-world-economic-forum/

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:05 PM, I_M4_AU said:

1) Well, if high emission of greenhouse gases are the problem, please explain why developing energy sources that emit no emissions is "ludicrous"?  (And I haven't heard anyone say wind mills and solar panels are going to solve the problem alone.)

2) Can you document the actual amount of money that is being spent on these emission-free technologies and compare that in a cost/benefit way to doing whatever you think we should be doing?

3) Gore never said the oceans are "boiling" in a literal sense. Prove me wrong.

4) Can you be more specific about what the Davos "crowd" has predicted?

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

2) Can you document the actual amount of money that is being spent on these emission-free technologies and compare that in a cost/benefit way to doing whatever you think we should be doing?

No, and you can’t either.  Going down the solar and windmill rabbit hole is a temporary fix.  A *let’s do something, anything to make is seem like we’re helping the climate*. A lot like recycling.

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

3) Gore never said the oceans are "boiling" in a literal sense. Prove me wrong.

I took it as literally as you took Trump asking Russia to find Hillary’s emails.  Prove me wrong.

25 minutes ago, homersapien said:

4) Can you be more specific about what the Davos "crowd" has predicted?

In a Dec. 14, 2009, speech at the Copenhagen Climate Conference, Gore suggested the possibility of the Arctic losing some or all of its ice in the summer months within five to seven years, citing researchers associated with the Naval Postgraduate School.

"Some of the models suggest to Dr. (Wieslav) Maslowski that there is a 75% chance that the entire north polar ice cap, during some of the summer months, could be completely ice-free within the next five to seven years."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/02/facebook-posts/fact-checking-claims-al-gore-said-all-arctic-ice-w/

The recent UN climate summit in Glasgow was predictably branded our “last chance” to tackle the “climate catastrophe” and “save humanity.” Like many others, US climate envoy John Kerry warned us that we have only nine years left to avert most of “catastrophic” global warming.

https://nypost.com/2021/11/30/the-comic-cries-of-climate-apocalypse-50-years-of-spurious-scaremongering/

7 years left and counting Homer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Your rejection of the science is duly noted.

I hope you're not an Auburn grad.

I don't reject science. In fact, my entire livelihood depends upon it, as do my wife and kids. However, I do reject blind coherence to unsubstantiated claims predicated on unverifiable computer models. I'm also ashamed of fellow Auburn grads that hold such a death grip on the narrative as you do. It's quite embarrassing.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 4:03 PM, I_M4_AU said:

No, and you can’t either.  Going down the solar and windmill rabbit hole is a temporary fix.  A *let’s do something, anything to make is seem like we’re helping the climate*. A lot like recycling.

Nonsense.  It's neither a "rabbit hole" nor is it temporary.  Why don't you do some objective research instead of just throwing out BS personal opinions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2022/07/04/wind-and-solar-provided-a-record-10-of-the-worlds-power-in-2021/?sh=2bdec41914aa

And criticizing doing something is completely illogical.  It does help the effort.  Anything to reduce greenhouse emissions helps.  You're a fool to think otherwise.

(And I didn't throw out a number that I pulled out of my ass, you did.)

Edited by homersapien

11 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I don't reject science. In fact, my entire livelihood depends upon it, as do my wife and kids. However, I do reject blind coherence to unsubstantiated claims predicated on unverifiable computer models. I'm also ashamed of fellow Auburn grads that hold such a death grip on the narrative as you do. It's quite embarrassing.

You actually don't understand the science if you call it unsubstantiated.  The "narrative" is based on scientific fact.  You are completely ignorant.  What's worse, you don't care.

It's a waste of my time to argue the facts with you.  I'll just leave you a reference if you change your mind about educating yourself. (Your kids will appreciate it.)

https://skepticalscience.com/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The "narrative" is based on scientific fact

Not in any way is that true. I've read articles from skeptical science many times. If you believe that is fact, then you are in fact, completely science illiterate as I figured. It's also a waste of my time to argue actual science with a political ideologue such as yourself. I'd say your kids would benefit from doing a little research themselves and questioning the narrative you cling so fiercely to, but as I recall you were too chicken**** to produce any. So when you find yourself in the hereafter, whichever void that ends up being, take some time and look down upon the world my kids helped improve. 

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And criticizing doing something is completely illogical.  It does help the effort.  Anything to reduce greenhouse emissions helps.  You're a fool to think otherwise.

From your article:

Primary global energy consumption grew by 5.5% last year to a new all-time high. This represented the fastest energy consumption growth since the early 1970s, and is a reflection of strong global demand bouncing back from 2020’s Covid-19 energy consumption decline.

Fossil fuels accounted for 82% of primary energy use last year, essentially the same as in 2020, but down from 83% in 2019 and 85% five years ago. The remaining share of primary energy use consisted of hydroelectric power (6.8%), renewables (6.7%), and nuclear power (4.3%).

image.png.0cef084029d292f56f97b0e8e93304b6.png

Global carbon dioxide emissions rebounded from 2020 levels, growing by 5.9% in 2021. However, this is still about 1% below the record levels of 2018 and 2019.

You’re blowing smoke Homer.

Do you want to bet that the closer we come to 2030 the year of total destruction of humanity the goal post will have shifted to say 2040 and the Davos crowd will ask for even more money?  After all, they are failing and the only way to save humanity is to give them more authority over us and more money.

Oh, look:

the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has estimated that greenhouse gas emissions would need to be cut by half by the end of this decade. We would then need to reach "net-zero" by 2050. So far, we are not on that trajectory.

"Current international policies are taking us towards around 2.6 C of warming by 2100, and the ambitious but so far not enacted promises made at the U.N. climate talks in Glasgow last year would only just about make 2 C," McKay said.

https://www.newsweek.com/newsweek-com-world-ends-tipping-points-climate-change-1751237

I’m sure the data will show enough improvement to be able to push the total destruction of mankind to 2050,  but we better get ready to spend even more money and give up more comforts by then.  No more gas stoves and forget gas heat.  No burning of fire wood to keep warm, but we can borough into that rotting wood to dig out our future dinners. 🐛 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Does anyone even take Al Gore seriously? He is a hack and I am almost positive he flew on a private jet to Davos. More of the "Do as I say but not as I do elite."

People need to remember that the folks going to Davos are making some serious coin off of the fear mongering. Many of Gore's wild predictions in the past turned out to be way false......I know....shocker! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

Your ignorance and rejection of the science is duly noted.

Hope you aren't an Auburn grad.  Makes the rest of us look bad.

You look bad all own your own. But thanks I’ll take the win.  I reject the modeling. There is no scientific proof of anything. All they have is modeling. It produces the results they desire because they input their own data into their own model.