Great quote from Keith Niebuhr. Wow!

Chaotic_zx

43 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Who coached Cam? Or do you think he learned all that at Blinn College?

Not sure if you are being serious because I was half way joking.   Auburn doesn’t win all the games that year without Cam as QB.   It wasn’t because he was “coached up” by Gus.  Who called the plays? Yes, Gus called the plays but I don’t believe that Gus brought any better “QB coaching “ than any other coach in country.   Just my personal opinion, but I don’t think that Gus was a good teacher of the position.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure if you are being serious because I was half way joking.   Auburn doesn’t win all the games that year without Cam as QB.   It wasn’t because he was “coached up” by Gus.  Who called the plays? Yes, Gus called the plays but I don’t believe that Gus brought any better “QB coaching “ than any other coach in country.   Just my personal opinion, but I don’t think that Gus was a good teacher of the position.  

Cams 1 year at AU is the definition of " catching lightning in a bottle"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Who coached Cam? Or do you think he learned all that at Blinn College?

This is almost like saying "Who coached Ted Williams?"  When you're gifted with certain abilities that a certain few are, it doesn't take much coaching. Just call the plays and let the stud do his thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

Just call the plays and let the stud do his thing.

That requires calling the correct plays, which requires understanding a team's strengths and weaknesses and understanding the opponent's strengths and weaknesses.. No Gus, no National Championship. No Cam, no National Championship. No Chizik, no National Championship. It took them all handling their parts and each handled his part very well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Agree. Bo Nix. Two years under GM, one under BH and gets away from them both and has a career year. Cam was just a unique talent. I don’t think he was overly coached up by anyone. 

4 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agree. Bo Nix. Two years under GM, one under BH and gets away from them both and has a career year. Cam was just a unique talent. I don’t think he was overly coached up by anyone. 

Yes,  and about half of Cams greatest plays were broken plays that Cam improvised.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Yes,  and about half of Cams greatest plays were broken plays that Cam improvised.

Same with Nick Marshall, there seems to be similarities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/31/2023 at 2:56 PM, Butthead said:

New staff has done a good job, but if the season started today we would have less talent than -- Alabama, Georgia, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss (probably) and Florida (probably).  Let's not go insane here.

I would add Tennessee to this list as well.

Edited by TeamZero77

7 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Not as good as Freeze but he beat Saban with a CFL DB (Marshall) a 6th round draft pick (Jared) and a 18 year old freshman (Bo). He had to at least teach a-little.

We have Freeze now so who cares?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Not as good as Freeze but he beat Saban with a CFL DB (Marshall) a 6th round draft pick (Jared) and a 18 year old freshman (Bo). He had to at least teach a-little.

We have Freeze now so who cares?

I’m not trying to change anyone’s view of Gus.  You have yours and I have mine.   All those games that you mentioned above, there is only one that I believe that Auburn outplayed and had the better team (Stidham’s year).   The other two were won because of crazy plays and pure luck.  

• Like 2

On 2/2/2023 at 11:45 AM, aubaseball said:

I think you meant with Cam helping.  

No, I meant with Gus helping.  Do you actually believe that Gene would have won that without Gus and Cam?  I don't. and that isn't me hating on Gene.  It is ok to admit that Gus did some things well.  It is what adults do... more than one thing can be right at the same time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

No, I meant with Gus helping.  Do you actually believe that Gene would have won that without Gus and Cam?  I don't. and that isn't me hating on Gene.  It is ok to admit that Gus did some things well.  It is what adults do... more than one thing can be right at the same time.

I believe Trotter was the backup quarterback that year but could have my years mixed up.   Do you honestly think Gus could have taken Trotter or anyone else and gone undefeated?   Gus came in with a new offensive system and had teams scrambling to figure him out.  Once the rules were changed, Gus couldn’t adapt or develop a group of 11 players that could run his entire system without substituting.   It’s the one thing that I just couldn’t understand how a coach making 8 million a year couldn’t put 11 players on the field that were crossed trained to play multiple positions.    Mind blowing really.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I believe Trotter was the backup quarterback that year but could have my years mixed up.   Do you honestly think Gus could have taken Trotter or anyone else and gone undefeated?   Gus came in with a new offensive system and had teams scrambling to figure him out.  Once the rules were changed, Gus couldn’t adapt or develop a group of 11 players that could run his entire system without substituting.   It’s the one thing that I just couldn’t understand how a coach making 8 million a year couldn’t put 11 players on the field that were crossed trained to play multiple positions.    Mind blowing really.  

I never said that.  It was a group effort.  I don't think that Cam would have won a natty at Miss State with Dan Mullen either.  What happened later has nothing to do with what happened in 2010. Gus did take a former DB and get to the championship game with him in 2013.

Edited by AU9377
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

how a coach making 8 million a year couldn’t put 11 players on the field that were crossed trained to play multiple positions.

Not only position but we had to sub based on plays

On 1/30/2023 at 5:18 PM, Chaotic_zx said:

The 24 minute mark.

That is a big couple of sentences there. We're talking multi-National Championship coaches here. 

The 23:30 mark of the same video.

Ok, so today I am officially convinced our “Dabo” is better than their Dabo!!!!!🤣🤣🤣

War Eagle Hugh!!!!  
For an encore, it’s time to smoke Kirby!!!   Let’s go!!!!

13 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I never said that.  It was a group effort.  I don't think that Cam would have won a natty at Miss State with Dan Mullen either.  What happened later has nothing to do with what happened in 2010. Gus did take a former DB and get to the championship game with him in 2013.

Again, 2013 was a great season for Auburn.   But Auburn doesn’t make it to a championship game without a Hail Mary pass that probably doesn’t turn out in Auburn’s favor in 1 out of 100.   Not to mention, a kick return 105 yards.   

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

48 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not trying to change anyone’s view of Gus.  You have yours and I have mine.   All those games that you mentioned above, there is only one that I believe that Auburn outplayed and had the better team (Stidham’s year).   The other two were won because of crazy plays and pure luck.  

First off, one of the reasons Cam was even in Auburn is because Gus talked Gene into bringing him. Gene even admitted such in his book. Who gets credit for that?

I’m assuming you’re crazy plays and pure luck are the kick six and the Alabama penalty for too many men on the field?

Prior to the kick six Gus called a time out and put our kick returner deep just in case. How did that work out? 

On Alabama’s illegal participation penalty, that was a set trick play designed and called by Gus. How did that work out?

Beat Saban three times in eight years (besides beating him in West Vance with Cam) and out-coached Saban more than that but didn’t have the talent to win the game. How many other coaches in the SEC did that? Heck, Georgia’s Kirby Smart just beat Saban for the first time last year.

Prior to the kick six the game was tied. Prior to the illegal participation penalty, Auburn had the lead. I don’t believe that’s all because of luck and crazy plays. It’s because Saban was out coached by someone that didn’t have near the talent as he.

As far as opinions of Gus goes: if you say things, like his O-line recruiting was atrocious, his bowl record should’ve been better, his record against Georgia should’ve been better, you would be 100% correct. Gus gets out-recruited by Alabama, Georgia, and LSU, again you would be at 100% correct!

What is also 100% correct is the SEC was then and is now the toughest conference in college football. Gus was the third or at worst fourth best coach in the toughest conference.

What is also 100% correct is Gus does not recruit as well or develop players as good as Hugh Freeze and we have Hugh Freeze as our head coach!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

But Auburn doesn’t make it to a championship game without a Hail Mary pass that probably doesn’t turn out in Auburn’s favor in 1 out of 100.

@aubaseball Aaron Murray still hasn't scored the TD that supposedly gave UGa the lead that required the hail mary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Beat Saban three times in eight years (besides beating him in West Vance with Cam)

I still chuckle when I think back on the Cam Back. When Bama was up big, Gary Danielson cued up his side by side pic of Saban in his Dolphin cap by Gus in his high school cap to illustrate the pro outclassing the amateur. I’m sure he had waited for that moment all week. Except Gus and AU wrecked his plans. Gave me an even greater disrespect for Gary. War Eagle 🦅 

• Like 4

For what it's worth, while I don't know if this is what Niebuhr was talking about, I read that bit about finding our Dabo/Kirby as we found the perfect fit for the program, who will capitalize on the advantages inherent on the Plains in ways his predecessors just weren't doing.

Another way to say essentially the same thing is that Freeze is the modern day Pat Dye. He's taken over and changed the trajectory of the program from day 1, at a time when a legend at Bama is nearing the end of the road.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I still chuckle when I think back on the Cam Back. When Bama was up big, Gary Danielson cued up his side by side pic of Saban in his Dolphin cap by Gus in his high school cap to illustrate the pro outclassing the amateur. I’m sure he had waited for that moment all week. Except Gus and AU wrecked his plans. Gave me an even greater disrespect for Gary. War Eagle 🦅 

I know the exact moment you speak of! Like most Auburn fans, I can’t stand Gary Danielson either!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Again, 2013 was a great season for Auburn.   But Auburn doesn’t make it to a championship game without a Hail Mary pass that probably doesn’t turn out in Auburn’s favor in 1 out of 100.   Not to mention, a kick return 105 yards.   

One more time. I'll totally agree with the miracle at Jordan Hare vs UGA. However.........one more time......Bama's only chance that year was the field goal that Saban fought so hard to be able to kick at the end of the game.  AU kills them in overtime, cause even Saban admitted we owned their D in the 2nd half. They were toast at the end of the game. So, to be clear, no miracle was needed to beat uat in 2013. They were beat unless they kick a fg longer than they realistically could make after we scored to tie it.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

He’s taken over and changed the trajectory of the program from day 1, at a time when a legend at Bama is nearing the end of the road.

You really think that? He seems like the type that can’t stand idle time—a complete workaholic. I expect him to still be there by 2030, especially when you look at the class they just signed.

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You really think that? He seems like the type that can’t stand idle time—a complete workaholic. I expect him to still be there by 2030, especially when you look at the class they just signed.

Saban will be 72 this year. Yeah, maybe he's gonna JoePa his way into his mid-80s before he hangs them up, but I gotta believe he's getting close to the end. I don't know exactly how relevant this is, but he was just turned down by UDub's offensive coordinator, who was offered the same job at UAT. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Freeze turning up the heat at Auburn might push him to go ahead and call it a career in the next few years.

Of course, he might well be like Bear in that when he retires, he'll lose his drive to keep pushing forward and his body will quit on him pretty much as soon as he stops going full steam. I doubt it, because I don't believe Little Nicky has the substance abuse problems that Bahr did, but you're right about him being a workaholic. It's not inconceivable that having nothing like coaching football to occupy his time, he might keel over, and hell, if I were him and I felt like that was coming, I doubt I WOULD hang them up so quickly, just out of self-preservation. 

*Disclaimer* While I would love to see Saban's tenure at bammer end, I am wishing absolutely no ill will on his life, simply drawing parallels with the other legendary bammer coach.

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I know we had Cam... but that bammer team had more overall talent than we did... Which makes the comeback even more impressive

that was probably one of Sabans most talented teams he’s coached..