2024 4* S Jayden Lewis decommits from AU

Sizzle

• Zeek changed the title to 2024 4 star DB Jayden Lewis Commits to Auburn!

Class of 2024 Top247 CB Jayden Lewis commits to Auburn

13 minutes ago

Jayden Lewis has been waiting to commit to Auburn. 

Finally, on Wednesday, the Class of 2024 Top247 cornerback from Anniston (Ala.) got to reveal his decision.

“It’s really relieving," Lewis told Auburn Undercover. "I had been waiting to get it off my chest because I knew where I wanted to go. I was waiting on the perfect time. The word I would choose is relief.”

Auburn now has two commitments in the Class of 2024, both Top247 cornerbacks primarily recruited by Zac Etheridge. Moody (Ala.) cornerback A'Mon Lane is Auburn's other current commitment.

After signing a loaded defensive back class in the 2023 cycle, Etheridge now joined by Wesley McGriff has set Auburn up early for another loaded class in the 2024 cycle.

“That was a big part because he was actually one of the first people I talked to from Auburn my ninth grade year," Lewis said about Etheridge. "We built a relationship and we’ve been going on from there. I go to these camps and I’m going crazy and locking people down. I won camp MVP my ninth and 10th grade year (at Auburn). That really brought us closer because he told me ‘I really want you. I can make you better and I like your versatility.’ He started hitting me up when the date came my junior year and we got super close then.”

Since Hugh Freeze took over and brought in Ron Roberts as defensive coordinator and McGriff to join Etheridge, it was almost instant for Lewis.

“I clicked real quick with them," Lewis said. "It wasn’t even the first whole week they had been in and Coach Etheridge hit my phone on Facetime and I got to meet all of the new coaches, coach Crime and the new defensive coordinator. Right then we all clicked. That was my type of vibe. That really made me 100 percent sure that I wanted to go to Auburn. I got there Saturday and it was the same vibe. It was real love. That really took it over the top and I was ready to commit now.”

With recruiting being a two-year (or more) cycle now, Auburn is already behind for the 2024 class.

But Freeze, Lane and now Lewis are working to get that changed.

“I’m real excited," Lewis said. "Just seeing both sides of it, that really taught me a lot. These guys were trying to get me to commit. Now I’m on the other side. I’m trying to get guys to commit. It’s really fun and interesting.”

14COMMENTS

A 4-star in the 247Sports rankings, Lewis is the No. 176 overall player, No. 13 cornerback and No. 12 player in Alabama. Auburn now has two of the top-20 players in the state of Alabama committed for the 2024 class.

“War Eagle," Lewis said. "I’m 110 percent committed.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Freeze and staff hit the road running to try and fix 2023 class with HS and portal and did a bang up job there so far. As mentioned we were already behind other schools on the 2024 class but this is the first step of many at getting caught up and then hopefully getting ahead on this class.  I have a feeling that the recently completed Junior day will really help get this class kick started.

Mr. Lewis welcome to Auburn and War Eagle.

His best friend is the #1 safety in the 2025 5* Anquon Fegans out of Thompson. 

Fegans was at the big Junior Day last weekend and Jayden is working him hard to get him to AU.  

I’m liking this kid already 😬

Edited by AEAugirl
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, AEAugirl said:

His best friend is the #1 safety in the 2025 5* Anquon Fegans out of Thompson. 

Fegans was at the big Junior Day last weekend and Jayden is working him hard to get him to AU.  

I’m liking this kid already 😬

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. 

😂😂

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* S Jayden Lewis Commits to Auburn!
  • ellitor changed the title to 2024 4* CB Jayden Lewis Commits to Auburn!
  • Zeek unpinned this topic

Lewis getting 'more comfortable' with Auburn

When walked into Auburn's new football facility Friday, something was different from his last visit.

This time, he was an Auburn commit.

The four-star cornerback from Anniston, Ala., made his first trip to the Plains since committing on Feb. 1., getting to check out how the Tigers operate in practice.

"First time in the spring, it went great," Lewis said. "Watching practice, getting in the film room, watching how everything operates and moves on a daily basis. It really makes me feel more comfortable and really just fall in more love with the place, for real."

Jayden Lewis visited Auburn last Friday, his first as an Auburn commit.

Jayden Lewis visited Auburn last Friday, his first as an Auburn commit. (Caleb Jones | AuburnSports.com)

When it comes to one coach in particular, secondary coach Wesley McGriff, Lewis sees nothing but an opportunity to get better.

"His energy, it really matches what I like in a coach," Lewis said. "Even like I said in the film room, talking to his guys, the way he teaches is really great and I think I can learn a lot from that guy."

As far as particulars from practice, Lewis watched everyone. From veterans like DJ James and Nehemiah Pritchett, to rising freshman Kayin Lee. Looking at Lee, Lewis noticed something.

"He really surprised me, as far as what I’ve seen out there," Lewis said. "Him being a freshman, I feel like I can come in and do the same thing, maybe even better."

Now as a commit, Lewis is going after other recruits to join him at Auburn. A couple of guys on his list include a pair of Alabama commits — and . Both Dixon and Thompson have visited Auburn this spring.

5'11" | 175 lbs | CB | 2024

Just because he's committed to Auburn, other schools haven't quite given up on him. However, Lewis is still locked in with Auburn.

"I wouldn’t say I’ve cut it off, but I know where I wanna be at, so I feel like it’s a waste of time," Lewis said.

He'll be back in town shortly, returning for the Tigers' A-Day game April 8 and will take an official visit sometime in the summer.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

June 12th

Auburn Commit 

Edited by toddc

Lewis playing recruiting role for Auburn

has a different role than most of Auburn’s official visitors.

Instead of being recruited by Auburn, Lewis is recruiting for the Tigers during his visits to the Plains.

“It’s been going good,” Lewis said. “Really, the same thing every time I come; I love it here and I don’t see how anybody else wouldn’t love it here. I’m still recruiting guys – Cam Coleman, Perry Thompson, LJ (McCray). A couple of guys that I’m trying to get when they look like they’re ready to go ahead and pull the trigger.”

Lewis, who has been committed to the Tigers for four months now, returned to Auburn and is becoming “more comfortable” with the Plains each time he returns.

Anniston DB Jayden Lewis was back in Auburn for his OV (Henry Patton/AuburnSports)

“Just figuring everybody out, just knowing people more and just building stronger relationships,” Lewis said. “That’s all there is to it.”

Lewis, who stands at 5-foot-11 and 175 pounds and is seen by the staff as a cornerback, has had strong relationships with coaches Wesley Mcgriff and Zac Etheridge. Seeing them in person again strengthened them even more

“I talk to them all the time,” Lewis said. “But seeing them in person is different and you get a real feel for the people. It’s nothing like it.”

Lewis, from Anniston High in Anniston, Ala., decided to take his OV in June instead of during the season, and that wasn't done on accident. 

“Really just my football schedule,” Lewis said. “I really wanted to do it the Iron Bowl week, but like I said, my football schedule won’t let me and I really want to be locked in with the guys I’m with now back in my high school and just get back to the city.”

5'11" | 175 lbs | CB | 2024

During his visits to Auburn, Lewis has been building chemistry with other Auburn commits including Walker White, who he plans to dominate on the practice field in the future.

“I told him I’m gonna be picking you off a lot in practice,” Lewis said. “I don’t know who the receiver is gonna be – it’s all fun and games. And those guys, too, just building a relationship with them. When we come here, we’ll already be established and make that a good time. That’s really all I’ve been doing.”

As for the guys that Lewis himself is recruiting, he has a simple message for them.

“Why not Auburn,” Lewis said. “It’s a lovely place. The culture is great. They have everything to offer after football, during football. It’s just whatever choice you make.”

Lewis, a 4-star cornerback, plans to be enroll early and be on campus in January.

We seem to have a strong group of committed recruits who are recruiting for us.  That is one of the best recommendations for a school.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

Anniston 38, Walter Wellborn 22

Auburn commit Jayden Lewis scored four touchdowns in four different ways to lead Anniston to victory.

He scored on an 95-yard interception return, 82-yard punt return, 85-yard kickoff return and a 30-yard reception. He also scored two 2-point conversions and recovered a fumble on defense.

Benjamin Russell 40, Wetumpka 19

Auburn receiver commit Malcolm Simmons caught two touchdown passes to lead the Wildcats to victory at Martin-Savarase Stadium in Alexander City.

Simmons also had a 70-yard TD catch and 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, but both were nullified by penalties.

LINK

• Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to AUBURN Commit Tracker
  • ellitor pinned, unpinned and featured this topic
21 hours ago, Sizzle said:

And that was all in the first half......  I kid!   This young man is a monster.  CHF and staff are bringing in difference makers at multiple positions. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...