Questions for those of you with computer degrees

Ranger12

After 10 years, I am going back to school to get my computer degree. The business management world has chewed me up for long enough and I am tired of it. I don't have a business degree, but worked my way up through hard work. However, I have been turned down for high paying jobs because I lacked the piece of paper even though I had the experience to do the job.

My ulitimate goal is to get back with working with the military in a civilian role. I would like to get into developing/programming targeting systems, avionics, navigations systems for military hardwars such as helicopters, tanks, missles, etc. My question is this, what type of computer degree should I be going for? Will a Bachelors in CIS get me in the door for those types of jobs or is it best to go a bit deeper and go for a Computer Engineering degree? I will be taking my core classes at the junior college level and then transfer to the University of Alabama Huntsville. Any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

After 10 years, I am going back to school to get my computer degree. The business management world has chewed me up for long enough and I am tired of it. I don't have a business degree, but worked my way up through hard work. However, I have been turned down for high paying jobs because I lacked the piece of paper even though I had the experience to do the job.

My ulitimate goal is to get back with working with the military in a civilian role. I would like to get into developing/programming targeting systems, avionics, navigations systems for military hardwars such as helicopters, tanks, missles, etc. My question is this, what type of computer degree should I be going for? Will a Bachelors in CIS get me in the door for those types of jobs or is it best to go a bit deeper and go for a Computer Engineering degree? I will be taking my core classes at the junior college level and then transfer to the University of Alabama Huntsville. Any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

192923[/snapback]

I have an MIS from Auburn and from what I observed in the job hunt process, the computer engineering degree is definitely more impressive, especially for programming jobs. That was something I absolutely did not want to end up doing, so I stayed away from the engineering aspect. If that is your cup of tea, I would suggest the computer engineering path.

For the work you're talking about (developing/programming targeting systems, avionics, navigations systems) then Computer Engineering/Computer Science is the best route to take. MIS/CIS implies a business slant, not enough math and likely no physics. Also, consider an Electrical Engineering degree - I've known several EE majors that wound up doing programming/development. Many for the DoD.

I talked to an advisor today and he suggested getting my an associates in math then transferring to UAH and pursue the computer engineering degree. He told me not to even pursue the associates in Computer Science because the engineering degree is going to require alot of math. I looked at the associates for math and it does have a couple of of computer programming classes included. Looks like I may go that route. Man, I feel like I am fresh out of high school again.

Ranger, I went the MIS route and have had no problems finding work. I specialize in PeopleSoft on an Oracle or SQL Server platform. When I left Auburn, I knew COBOL, VB, and some SQL. I think if you have a base knowledge of programming, you can apply that to any language at all. With the area you want to get in, though, I would think EE would be best route. But with an MIS/CIS degree, I don't think you'll have any problems finding something when you get out. Good luck!

Having some experience in the weapons field, I can tell you that even though most of those systems are digital computer based systems, understanding the hardware aspect would be VERY important in that field. Having said that, there are several disciplines within weapons design which would require almost no knowledge of the hardware. Targeting is usually software based, with inputs from hardware somewhere providing data. Tracking is usually software and hardware based. In either one of those, understanding the hardware aspect would be more than helpful, if not required.

I would say the computer engineering, or regular old EE degree would be a great fit for what I am guessing you are going for.......

After talking more to an advisor at UAH, I think I am going to do the following:

Associates in Math at Calhoun because it line right up with all the core requirements to transfer into the Computer Engineering degree at UAH and the advisor thinks that is the best way to get me into military software engineering field. Also, since the CE and EE degrees have some similar classes, the UAH advisor that some people double major and by getting their CE degree and then turn around and take the classes they need to meet the EE requirements and vice versa. He said I could have a CE and EE degree (average 3 classes a year, going every semester starting my "freshman" year) easily within 5-6 years from start to finish. So, it looks like CE first and then see where I am at and look into working on the EE degree. Thanks for all your help guys, I took your advice into the conversation with the advisor, especially about the EE degree.

You do realize, of course, that you can't spell "Geek" without, EE, right? But I guess on the other hand, you can't spell "Beer," either, so I guess it balances out.

Good Luck, dude.

You do realize, of course, that you can't spell "Geek" without, EE, right?  But I guess on the other hand, you can't spell "Beer," either, so I guess it balances out.

Good Luck, dude.

193197[/snapback]

:lol: Yeah, I guess since I am going to try to become an engineer, I need to buy me a shirt that says "Geek". My wife said I should put on it "Crippled Geek....but I still can kick some a$$." :lol:

Okay, after doing alot more research and talking to alot more guys that have been in the profession for along time, this looks like the best route for me to go. It was going to be very hard to work a full time job while trying to take all the CE and EE classes I would need for Computer Engineering and also still be a functional part of my marriage and my kid's lives. :lol:

I was given some good advice on how to go about getting the type of jobs I am looking for without the CE degree. First, I am going to get my associates in mathematics since that degree covers basically all the core requirements for any bachelors degree in computers. Then I am going to transfer to UAH or Athens State (probably UAH because of better staff and facilities) and pursue my Bachelors in Computer Science. According to the UAH catalog, because of all the math I will have to take, I will also have a mathematics minor. I am going to also try to minor in computer networking. Then I will find a job with that degree and while I am building up experience in teh field, I will then start working on my Masters in Software Engineering. I will probably do Plan II that does not require a thesis but requires more class time and a final written comprehensive exam, but I could change my mind and use Plan I with a thesis. The Masters of Science in Software Engineering will get me the education I need for Models and Simulation and also for Information Assurance, which is what I was looking for with the type of jobs available with the DoD and contractors here at Redstone Arsenal. Of course, all of this is a long, long way out since I am basically starting from scratch and things could change, but I guess I still have some of that Army training in me that requires having a plan for short term and long term goals.

Does this sound like a decent plan to you experts or am I just confusing myself more?

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the degree you may want to pursue:

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/aero/

And, then maybe add a minor in computer languages that apply. I know the DoD uses a secure operating system called the "Hydra" System which impenetrable.

I would consider taking the Cal-based Physics I, II & III, Chemistry I & II, Calculus I, II, II, IV and any other classes for the freshman and sophomore years of pre-engineering at a junior college because of the class-size advantage (base on quarter-hour credits). Most Junior colleges offer mainframe computer languages courses. Of course, the mainframe is a term of the past, but I learned Fortran IV on an IBM System 36 in 1987. Server networks have basically replaced the mainframe. Good Luck and Godspeed to you on the engineering adventure. It’s a blast.

Here is the first lab question I remember from Physics I:

Get a lighting pole height using a yard stick and calculate the percent error of multiple measurements.

That was a cool experiment.

Hint: There are two methods to obtain this conclusion.

Using the shadow and the yardstick methods .

• 2 months later...

PCola here's something you need to consider:

Work experience in this field is MUCH more valued than college education. The associates degree will get you headed in the right direction. After you get that, you need to start looking for some sort of intern/co-op deal.

I got my degree in CS with a minor in math and i taught myself EVERYTHING that I use on a daily basis...very little did i learn in school that applies to what I do. And I am a full time web developer.

I have interviewed about 30 people who were potentials to work for me on my team...and the ones that stick out are the ones with experience, i dont even look at their education background really. I can pick out someone who i would like on my team by what they've done in the real world.

But you do need at least the associates.

Id say avoid MIS as it is mostly business background. CE or EE are both good, but require a little more work that the CS degree. If you want to get into the programming side, CS is the way to go as it requires a little less physics and eng classes but still stresses the hardware enough. I had to take around 16 hours of hardware CE classes through my cirriculum (the same one as UAH).

At this point, since time is a factor and you should be most concerned with the EASIEST way to get to the actual work experience...Id say go with CS.

But thats just one man's opinion.

MIS is highly sought after degree too but more Business oriented. If I had the time I would likely go back ME/EE myself. I am utilizing all the seminar education I can get now. The key words IMHO are CERTS and Experience. Education might get you in the door, experience/CERTS will get you the job.

Most in my field end up working with SCM and ERP systems in the business world. Problem, that means you will get jobs with LARGE companies that may transfer you several times in your career.

I have been with my Fortune 500 employer 10 plus years now. So Kim and I decided to stay with that because of the benefits and pay package. Most folks I went to school with had or found govt jobs tho. State Employment Veteran's Rep told me I was stupid to take the ones I was up for with my package as is for now. So I supplement my income teaching at Calhoun. Love the job and already see it as my job in the future, should something happen at work (closure/layoff) or as my retirement plan. I am very intetrested now in an idea for a thesis for a PhD. They make considerable more than my MS.

PCola here's something you need to consider:

Work experience in this field is MUCH more valued than college education. The associates degree will get you headed in the right direction. After you get that, you need to start looking for some sort of intern/co-op deal.

I got my degree in CS with a minor in math and i taught myself EVERYTHING that I use on a daily basis...very little did i learn in school that applies to what I do. And I am a full time web developer.

I have interviewed about 30 people who were potentials to work for me on my team...and the ones that stick out are the ones with experience, i dont even look at their education background really. I can pick out someone who i would like on my team by what they've done in the real world.

But you do need at least the associates.

Id say avoid MIS as it is mostly business background. CE or EE are both good, but require a little more work that the CS degree. If you want to get into the programming side, CS is the way to go as it requires a little less physics and eng classes but still stresses the hardware enough. I had to take around 16 hours of hardware CE classes through my cirriculum (the same one as UAH).

At this point, since time is a factor and you should be most concerned with the EASIEST way to get to the actual work experience...Id say go with CS.

But thats just one man's opinion.

213137[/snapback]

I think you have a mild case of "thread confusion"... :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry...should have been "Ranger: something to consider blah blah blah"

Heh got so used to returning jabs at pcola...didnt catch that oversight :)

And to think...i thought i was doing a good thing by being nice to pcola. (does it count if i THOUGHT i was helpin ya out pcola?) :)

Sorry...should have been "Ranger: something to consider blah blah blah"

Heh got so used to returning jabs at pcola...didnt catch that oversight :)

And to think...i thought i was doing a good thing by being nice to pcola. (does it count if i THOUGHT i was helpin ya out pcola?) :)

213208[/snapback]

yeah it counts.... :lol::lol: and you were doing a good thing.. :D:D

• 6 months later...

A little update on my return to college. As of right now, my intended major has changed once again. After talking to some people I know that work for NASA and for the DoD at Redstone Arsenal, I am going to be focusing on an Aerospace Engineering degree, which was my degree of choice back in high school. UAH's Aerospace Engineering degree is actually a ME degree with focus on aerospace studies. I was told that degree would actually give me options, besides the obvious industry, with just about any industry that invovles using machinery to produce a product. I was told the automotive industry has gotten to where they like to hire persons with this type of degree. I also was told to look into pursuing a CS minor or degree on the side to go along with the Aerospace degree. One of the guys I talked to is actually a director at Marshall Space Flight Center here locally in Huntsville and he said the combination of the Aerospace and CS degree would, along with co-op and intership experience, would make me an easy hire with good potential of advancing quickly in the industry. So, I guess I will work on some classes required for my CS degree during the semesters I can't fill my schedule with classes required for my ME/Aerospace degree. Most also encouraged me to get my Masters ASAP, which along with experience I would by gaining on the job while working on my Masters, would make me a very happy man in terms of being able to support my family now and in the future.

Since :au: offers Masters in Engineering degrees through distance education, that will probably be the route I go. UAH would be closer if I am still in the North Alabama area at the time, but it would make me very, very proud man, to be an offical alumni of the university with a degree from the universty hanging on my wall.

Archived