Neil Caudle

quietfan

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill...6670.xml&coll=1

Quarterback recruit's ligaments better after last year's surgery

AUBURN - Neil Caudle's senior year at Spain Park High School was supposed to be a celebration.

Despite missing five games as a junior after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, Caudle had been rated among the nation's top quarterbacks. He was so impressive that he had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Michigan and Auburn as a junior.

He committed to Auburn in August 2005, fulfilling a lifelong dream of playing for the Tigers. He rallied his team from a three-touchdown deficit for a victory over Auburn High School in the season opener.

But in the second game against Oak Mountain, Caudle went down again. He'd torn the ACL in his right knee. His high school career was over. Through the pain and disappointment, Caudle wondered if his college career, too, might be over before it even started.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville quickly eased his fears.

"I knew it would raise some eyebrows, but I talked to Coach Tuberville the day it happened and he said there wasn't anything to worry about," Caudle said.

So Caudle had surgery again and went back to the grueling rehabilitation process. As he prepares to sign Wednesday with Auburn, he says he will soon be released to work without restriction. He will be full speed long before two-a-days begin in August.

And his knees will be stronger than they were before they were injured.

Noted Birmingham surgeon Lawrence Lemak repaired Caudle's knees. He told the family Caudle was born with the tendency to suffer ACL tears, a tendency that was forever corrected by the surgeries.

"That's what they've told us all along," said Caudle's father, Keith. "After watching the way the injuries happened, they were going to happen. The last one, he didn't even get hit. It could have happened playing baseball or basketball just as easily. Dr. Lemak says it's good to get it over with now. It's one of those things where you don't have to be really worried anymore."

For Caudle and for his family, the frustration level was high when his senior season came to an early and unhappy end. But as he prepares to embark on a new adventure, his father says there are ample reasons to be grateful.

"You can look at it from the standpoint he was real unfortunate to have that happen," Keith Caudle said. "On the other hand, he was fortunate enough to get enough playing time for people to notice him before it happened."

Keith Caudle is an Auburn graduate. His wife, Teresa, is a Troy graduate but a long-time Auburn convert. They were determined last summer to look at other schools and not rush into a decision. They made unofficial visits to numerous schools, but it always came back to Auburn.

"We went to Michigan, Louisville, Alabama and Georgia," Neil Caudle said. "We really took advantage of the opportunity to make sure Auburn was the right place.

"I was trying to keep it very open and make the right decision. It always came back to Auburn."

In late June, Caudle will enroll at Auburn. He will begin to live a dream that began to grow when he started playing football in the seventh grade at Berry Middle School.

"It's really kind of weird," Caudle said. "It seems like not long ago I was just a little kid watching Ben Leard or those guys on TV.

"It's definitely weird to picture myself on that field."

Caudle says he is prepared to play whatever role the coaches ask him to play as a freshman. If they want him to redshirt, he says, so be it.

"Brandon Cox is coming back, and he's a really good quarterback," Caudle said. "I'm hoping to learn from him and do my best.

"Whatever role the coaches want me to have, I'm happy to do that."

Gotta love his attitude!

You know, it occurs to me that we don't really know how good Neil might be. He only played about half a season his junior year and less than that his senior. How much might his stock have gone up if he had full seasons...might he be as good as or better than Tebow or Mustain? Would he have rated 5 stars instead of the 4 most give him? [Of course, I suppose one might also argue that he might have look a lot worse had we seen him play more...but most kids improve with experience and playing time.]

Young Mr. Caudle seems to be cut from the right cloth. Coach Tubs continues to land kids with character and good attitudes. He will make us proud on and off the field.

Congrats to him and WDE ! ! ! :au::cheer:

Archived