Bush Plays the Palace

rexbo

Bush Plays the Palace

The Democratic presidential candidates also should be asked to agree or disagree. And let's understand that those who say they want no retreat but do want a turnover of Iraq to the U.N. are, in fact, advocating both retreat and defeat. No one can really believe that what the world's only superpower won't do, Kofi Annan's blue helmets will do.

Let's hope that folks at State, the Pentagon, the CIA, and Congress were listening — and that they remember who signs their paychecks.

Clifford seems to be insinuating, mistakenly, that it is Bush who signs their paychecks.

Clifford seems to be insinuating, mistakenly, that it is Bush who signs their paychecks.

If he can fire them, that is the same thing. Except for Congress of course, he mistakenly included them.

If he can fire them, that is the same thing. Except for Congress of course, he mistakenly included them.

So, in other words, he would fire them for having a dissenting opinion? Exercising their Freedom of Speech, guaranteed in the Bill of Rights, would cost them their jobs?

I would argue with regards to "Who signs their paychecks", he was talking about the American people. WE sign their paychecks. And I personally would be pissed as hell if we retreated from Iraq now.

So, in other words, he would fire them for having a dissenting opinion? Exercising their Freedom of Speech, guaranteed in the Bill of Rights, would cost them their jobs?

Not doing your job is NOT in the Bill of Rights or Constitution, the President serving as Chief Executive and holding executive powers is. I think you misunderstood completely the guy's point. The people in the CIA, DoD and the State Department all work for and answer to the President. He is in charge, the boss, the big cheese, the head honcho. If he tells you to do a job, and you do not follow his direction, he has the right to fire you.

So, to answer your question, yes, exactly, if the Secretary of State held a dissenting opinion and said to Bush, exercising his freedom of speech, "Mr. President, I do not believe we should have freed the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator, and we should pull all of our troops out right now and I am not going to support this effort to rebuild and install a democtratic government in Iraq anymore.", he would be fired on the spot.

Archived