AU Players at Cape Cod League

Link

No summer vacation for AU baseball players

Collin Mickle  / Staff Writer

June 25, 2006

Josh Donaldson says he hasn’t had to do much adjusting to his new bat.

After all, the new bat weighs 31 1/2 ounces, the same as his trusty bat back in Auburn. Donaldson, Auburn University’s junior catcher, left that stick behind when he went to Harwich, Mass., for the summer.

Donaldson is playing in the Cape Cod Baseball League, a summer circuit for college baseball players. He’s one of four AU players in the league.

Of course, there is one big difference between Donaldson’s new bat and his old one. When he gets a hit, the sound that rings across the ballpark is a resounding Crack!,not the usual Ping!

That’s because Cape League hitters use wooden bats, not the aluminum used in college baseball. It’s a way for amateur hitters to get a taste of pro-style baseball, and a way for major-league scouts to see how star collegians perform without light, springy aluminum in their hands.

“Summer ball is really good for (development),†said AU head coach Tom Slater. “It gives guys a chance to see what they need to work on. We stay in touch with those (summer-league) coaches and make sure our guys are playing where they need to play and doing what they need to be doing.â€Â

So far, Donaldson is passing the test with flying colors. Through Thursday, he led the Harwich Mariners in batting average, hits, runs, doubles, and slugging percentage.

Donaldson says adjusting to a wooden bat hasn’t been a problem. Adjusting to competing against the all-star pitchers in the Cape was a different story, at least at first.

“Being here with all these great players is really great for me,†Donaldson said.

“My first six at-bats, pitchers were just painting on me. I mean, every time I’d come to the plate, just perfect pitches - they can really hit their spots.â€Â

But he’s made his adjustments.

And he’s not alone.

Fellow AU star Mike Bianucci was leading the Yarmouth-Dennis Red Sox with a .348 average before he left for Team USA tryouts this weekend.

Reliever Luke Greinke has an 0.00 ERA for Yarmouth-Dennis. Left-hander Evan Crawford has made two starts for Y-D, including one against Donaldson’s Mariners in which the sophomore retired Donaldson in all three of his at-bats.

“Evan’s got bragging rights on me as of right now,†Donaldson said.

While Donaldson said he and his AU teammates don’t talk much trash to each other during any of their games, there’s definitely a competitive fire.

“When we step between the lines, we’re not teammates as of now,†Donaldson said. “We’re all competitive, and we all want to win.â€Â

Archived