Chuck Davis will not be back

AURainman

Sad news for Bama player. I hated to see him go out like that.

Link

TUSCALOOSA -- The NCAA has turned down Alabama basketball player Chuck Davis' request for a fifth season of eligibility.

The ruling came Monday in a letter from the NCAA's membership services/student-athlete reinstatement office, which said the "criteria for the hardship waiver was not satisfied."

The NCAA response supported an earlier ruling from the SEC office, which deemed the request submitted by Alabama as not fulfilling the criteria for an extra year.

The decision was not unexpected, but the attempt was worth a shot, Alabama coach Mark Gottfried said.

"We just felt with the circumstances happening in his family, to try to get a fifth year (was the right thing to do)."

Davis had a star-crossed career at Alabama, from the cover of Sports Illustrated to the sudden death of his mother and season-ending knee surgery.

Davis, a two-time All-State performer at Southside-Selma, played sparingly as a freshman, which essentially cost him that season. The gangly center then helped lead Alabama to its first Elite Eight in 2004, a postseason run that included upsets of No. 1 Stanford and defending national champion Syracuse, and during which Davis graced the SI cover.

A preseason All-SEC pick last year, Davis was leading the team in scoring when he tore ligaments in his right knee in a conference-opening loss to Mississippi.

Davis could not be reached for comment on the ruling.

Gottfried, speaking on a Monday SEC Teleconference, would not comment on the University of Alabama's decision to accept the application of guard Verice Cloyd.

"It's good that he's here," Gottfried said. "He's met the requirements, just like every other student-athlete and now it's time for him to move on."

Cloyd's academic credentials at Genesis One Christian Academy in Mendenhall, Miss., came under scrutiny this spring. However, the NCAA ruled earlier this month that Genesis One had been cleared for prospective freshman eligibility, allowing the university to accept Cloyd's application.

Cloyd had hired Montgomery attorney Donald Jackson and was prepared to enter a legal fight to gain admission at Alabama.

• 2 weeks later...
:bawling:

250268[/snapback]

Like it'll matter... Gimme' 8. :D

19ig.jpg

253648[/snapback]

It's hilarious when the Crimpson Turds have to turn to basketball for smack talk! :roflol::roflol:

:bawling:

250268[/snapback]

Like it'll matter... Gimme' 8. :D

19ig.jpg

253648[/snapback]

If anyone ever had any doubts that the “fear the thumb” things were getting under the skin of UAT fans just look at this post. I remember how not to many years ago when acclamation was rolling in for an Auburn team that was winning and going to the NCAA tourney for a few years running. All I heard was how “bama” was a football school and it didn’t matter that Auburn and even lowly samford were heading to the tourney while they trudge along in the NIT. Now that they realize they have been dominated on the football field, you see a “gimme 8"; how overly contrive on the bammers part to think most care or even realize about them winning a few straight over Auburn in basketball. However I bet if 90% were polled they would know “fear the thumb” enjoy your smack talk in basketball Win, you know you will not have much to say after the thumb is delivered this november.

• 2 months later...

If anyone ever had any doubts that the “fear the thumb” things were getting under the skin of UAT fans just look at this post. I remember how not to many years ago when acclamation was rolling in for an Auburn team that was winning and going to the NCAA tourney for a few years running. All I heard was how “bama” was a football school and it didn’t matter that Auburn and even lowly samford were heading to the tourney while they trudge along in the NIT. Now that they realize they have been dominated on the football field, you see a “gimme 8"; how overly contrive on the bammers part to think most care or even realize about them winning a few straight over Auburn in basketball. However I bet if 90% were polled they would know “fear the thumb” enjoy your smack talk in basketball Win, you know you will not have much to say after the thumb is delivered this november.

So you degraded a school for saying they didn't care about their basketball team years ago and now you're saying you don't care about your basketball team?

So you degraded a school for saying they didn't care about their basketball team years ago and now you're saying you don't care about your basketball team?

Go enjoy your man-love with Huggy Bear and your 7 foot center.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived