Cell phone question for Alabama folks

TitanTiger

I currently live in Tennessee and I'm thinking of switching to Verizon Wireless from Cingular (Cingular is moving everyone to GSM phones but their coverage area isn't very good on that spectrum yet) because I want to get a new phone and take advantage of deals the providers will be offering with the number portability thing going into effect.

Does anyone have any info on Verizon Wireless coverage in the Tuscaloosa, Fayette, Winfield area in NW Alabama?

Also, anyone in the Montgomery-Wetumpka area...how is Verizon's coverage in that regard, particularly up in the Blue Ridge/Jasmine Hill neighborhood? Does their coverage extend as far as Eclectic?

Comment on that and whether it involves roaming or if it's on their America's Choice network if you can. Thanks!

Hey, Titan, I use Cingular and was in the store the other day and the salesperson told me that everyone except Alltell was changing to GSM. She may have been mistaken, but you might check it out if you haven't already. I really haven't checked yet so she may have fooled me...temporarily!!!

Hey, Titan, I use Cingular and was in the store the other day and the salesperson told me that everyone except Alltell was changing to GSM. She may have been mistaken, but you might check it out if you haven't already. I really haven't checked yet so she may have fooled me...temporarily!!!

AT&T, Cingular, and perhaps one or two others are switching to GSM. T-Mobile already was GSM. Verizon and Sprint both operate on CDMA and have too much coverage and investment to switch right now.

GSM is actually a very good technology. It's the standard in Europe and has been for years. Great sound quality and all your info (phone number, address book, serial #, etc) is stored on a SIM card or SmartChip. It allows you to use anyone's phone yet still have your account billed for the call. It also makes changing to a new phone a breeze. It will probably be the dominant technology one day.

That said, no US provider has a network that goes much beyond the semi-major cities and interstates. Rural coverage is virtually nil because there are only a couple of (rather ugly and large) handsets on the market that can use both GSM and TDMA (the digital spectrum Cingular had been using).

So anyway, that's why I want to change. If Cingular was still offering good TDMA phones, it probably wouldn't be an issue. But when I visit my grandmother or my in-laws, I don't want my phone to be a useless paperweight.

They are offering some (two right now) multi-network phones that will operate on all three networks. Please, Titan, don't leave the Cingular family! Please!!! :P

I've seen those phones and they are so ugly. One is a Sony Ericsson and the other is the biggest Nokia I've seen in a long time. Don't like either of them. The Nokia I have right now is smaller than either of those, but I have issues with it as well. I'd like a flip style phone, possibly with a color screen, and maybe with a built in camera. The last two parts are not essential. What I really wish is that they still offered the Nokia 8260...perfect size. Not a flip phone, but a great little phone nonetheless.

well i have verizons prepaid service..*cough* ripoff *cough* I roam everywhere i go except in Montgomery and Auburn. So if you dont mind roaming charges go for it.

I have southernlinc. They are high. Really good phones with good service. Better service than cell phones but cost a lot more. They are 2 way radio's with cell phone service if you want it. I pay about 80 bucks a month for 425 mins unlimted 2 way radio time. Unlimted text messages, voice mail, caller id. Its not worth it though. my last bill was $193.87

My phone is the flip face colored screen phone if anyone is interested in buying it. I bought it for $339.00 and will sale it for $150.00 Haven't had it long. Still works great. I have extra batteries, wall and car charger. I have other southernlinc phones available also. Thes phones are high quality. If you drop them they don't break. They are tough phones. If anyone is interested. Pm or e-mail me.

WARR EAGLE

The coverage is excellent with Verizon. I just do not know if they charge roaming charges on their plans or not. My girlfirend has one and her sister lives way out in the boonies and its crystal clear out there. So I think Verizon is the leader as far as reception goes....

I have verizon and I can't complain about it. I got the nationwide plan where I get free long distance on the weekends and after 9 on weekdays. I got 400 minutes anytime (Im not a big cell talker) and no roaming charges except in certain areas. You have to get a coverage map to view all of it, but I know I can call in Dallas and Chicago with no roaming or LD charges. Think my plan is 39 dollars a month.

I don't have trouble using the phone on the weekend and its always very clear weather Im calling my sister in Dallas or mom in Chicago.

Go here and look at the America's choice plan, that is the one that I have and it has a map with it.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/ics/plsql/c....intro#NATIONAL

Archived