oldautiger's adventures with prostate cancer

oldautiger

First of all allow me to thank all of you for your prayers and concern.

To bring you all up to date:

Chapter 1:

My PCA had gone up so I went in for a biopsy. You know you're in trouble if one of two events happen.

1.) All of the gear used by the doctor is covered.

2.) You ask the nurse what some strange torturous device is, & she calls it "Big Ben", then laughs. :blink:

Both of these happened.

Biopsies aren't fun, but they are necessary.

My biopsy showed early stages of Prostate Cancer.

Chapter 2.

Had a bone scan and a cat scan set up to determine the possibility the cancer had spread. Both turned out normal, thank GOD.

Those people are a little unusual, they told me the cat scan had found no cats., :lol:

So now I start on chapter 3.

Chapter 3.

I have an appintment with my doctor to discuss the options. Right now he favors radiation over surgery, I'd like to know why he feels this way. Other guys in church and old friends have had theirs removed, and they had about the same diagnosies as I did.

Once again thank you so much for your prayers, but don't stop now. I've still got a long road ahead.

Sorry I took so long to update this, but I've been reading up on this stuff.

To change the subject

WAR DAMN EAGLE,

:cheer::cheer::cheer::au::cheer::cheer:

After being in the hospital recently myself, I feel for your worry and stress. I love that you havent lost your sense of humor yet.

Praying for a quick return to normal.

Sounds like your attitude is excellent and that is more of the battle than you might think...hang in there, do what the doc says and we'll do our part.

Great news, John! I have been reading A LOT in the news lately about Proton Therapy that MD Anderson is taking the lead in. Supposed to be the latest greatest most awesome new thing, and it is for prostate cancer. Have you checked it out?

Keep your spirits up - we love you!

Love,

Jen

Great news, John! I have been reading A LOT in the news lately about Proton Therapy that MD Anderson is taking the lead in. Supposed to be the latest greatest most awesome new thing, and it is for prostate cancer. Have you checked it out?

Keep your spirits up - we love you!

Love,

Jen

WGN had a great hour long special about prostate cancer. Really imformative, and it went into detail about the Proton gizmo. I will check into it when I get my second opinion from M.D. Anderson.

Prayers out to you - keep up the great attitude and keep the faith strong!

My step mother was just recently diagnosed as officially in remission. A couple of months ago they told her to begin getting her affairs in order because she had less than a 5% chance of making it, they even subtley inquired if she wanted to go through the chemo and radiation. The cancer was so bad they couldn't tell whether it has started in her uterus or cervix. Anyhow, she never let her spirit down, and her faith stayed strong and she went through the fight.

Wad Damn Eagle!

Good luck with the process to recovery. I like the fact that you are studying the condition before making any decisions. I have a friend with that condition and his doctor recommended a particular book to read. He took the advice, and the book advised him to ask certain questions of his doctor before making a decision. When he did, the doc got pissed and questioned his trust of him!! I guess my friend is the only patient who actually read the book. Go figure.

Well, keep on keeping on - I trust you'll be fine.

Prayers sent again...just now.

All the BEST & WDE ! ! !

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

First of all, Thanks guys for all your prayers and support.

Maybe some of this might help some of you future "Old Farts"

Went in for my first opinion with the radiologist last week. Found out my

diagnosis was a little worse than I had first thought it was (forgot to add all

that stuff together). I'm now at 7 on the Gleason scale (intermediate risk) which

means this crap could remain non-aggressive or get fired up and go off the scale.

I ain't waitin around for it to make up it's mind. Got grandkids I want to see do

great things.

These people I went to want to use radiation (okay by me, don't like knives - especially

in somebody else's hands) and them hacking away in a real sensitive spot. Hell I ain't dead

yet.

I had wondered why they favored radiation over surgery, my fault, I'm diabetic so it's hard

for me to resist infections. Here these guys are cutting me below the belt and putting a catheter

in a very very very very sensitive area. Both of 'em can cause major infections.

To make things fun, they've decided the old way of zapping me (external beam) doesn't quite

do the job, so they want to use Internal beam (rectal probe). Still beats the Hell out of knives.

Brings to mind "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Gutherie. Been inspected, injected all over my body

and they didn't leave no part alone. I would have used quotations, but that wasn't a quote, just

a close interpretation of it. Get a copy and listen.

Now I'm being referred to M.D. Anderson (one ot the top Cancer research hospitals in the world) for

a second opinion, supposed to hear something Monday. If I don't hear anything by noon, I'm gonna

start bugging people. I know there are alot of guys with PC worse than mine, but this happens to

affect my a$$.

Will let you guys know what happens next.

Still maintaining a sense of humor here, ain't gonna let this get me down.

"If we weren't crazy we would go insane" Jimmy Buffet

"If it suddenly ended tomorrow, I could adjust to the fall

good times and riches and sons of bitches

I've seen more than I could recall" Jimmy Buffet

Until then,

WAR DAMN EAGLE

God bless you, John. You are always in my thoughts and prayers brother.

• 4 weeks later...

Sent another prayer just now John. Keep us posted as to your continued progress.

WDE!

Tim

• 3 months later...

Sorry I've been out of touch lately, but FINALLY I have gone on past Chapter 4 and have begun Chapter 5.

Since I've last updated all this, things got weird, several monkey wrenches thrown into the works, but with prayer, things are coming together. Thank God

When I was first diagnosed, I had several consultations with various doctors, finally settling on M.D. Anderson's Proton Therapy. My wife had gone through breast cancer at Anderson and we were impressed with those people - they care, and they are thorough as as get-out. What those folks come up with today, everybody else uses next month. That's why they are rated number one in the world as the best cancer research hospital.

Anyway once I settled on the proton radiation, then the fun began. My insurance company rejected the treatment which led to several battles with them and some name calling, but in the end they emerged from the dark ages and approved treatment. Took from October to January to get to this point.

Meanwhile, my lovely bride had some female problem and to make a long story short - she was diagnosed with uteran cancer before Christmas and went through a total histerectomy (spelling ?). Out of work for 6 weeks, so all of the Chrismas party planning and preparation were all put on my shoulders. She's doing great, a little short of energy at times, but she's getting back to her busy happy self. Thank God

Before treatment could begin for me, I had a colonoscopy at the end of January. Had two polyps removed, both came back negative - no cancer. Thank God.

Since it had been almost five months since Cat scans were done, I had to go through that again. No pain except for the drip. Again these came back with good news - the cancer was still in the prostate. Some postive signs were that the prostate had not enlarged much more and the PSA had actually dropped. Thank God.

Thursday I began hormone treatment (makes the cancer merge together and gives the proton radiation gizmo a better target. Speaking of hormones (you ladies will love this). the two I am taking are Casodex in pill form (560 bucks for a 30 day supply) and Lupron (injection- huge needle) both have side effects such as HOT FLASHES and MOOD SWINGS. If you are unfortunate to have Prostate Cancer and go through hormone treatment - don't expect any sympathy from the ladies. My wife still laughes. Ain't that damn funny. B)

I get one more injection in 30 days, then eight weeks of radiation follows. I am having some pain from the cancer, but nothing like it could be. Wife and I still try to make light of our situations, but we know how serious this crap can be.

In closing - thanks for your prayers and concern, all of it is greatly appreicated.

WAR DAMN EAGLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, sounds like things are at least passably good right now, all things considered...you do your stuff and we'll hold down our end. :thumbsup:

Sorry I've been out of touch lately, but FINALLY I have gone on past Chapter 4 and have begun Chapter 5.

Since I've last updated all this, things got weird, several monkey wrenches thrown into the works, but with prayer, things are coming together. Thank God

When I was first diagnosed, I had several consultations with various doctors, finally settling on M.D. Anderson's Proton Therapy. My wife had gone through breast cancer at Anderson and we were impressed with those people - they care, and they are thorough as as get-out. What those folks come up with today, everybody else uses next month. That's why they are rated number one in the world as the best cancer research hospital.

Anyway once I settled on the proton radiation, then the fun began. My insurance company rejected the treatment which led to several battles with them and some name calling, but in the end they emerged from the dark ages and approved treatment. Took from October to January to get to this point.

Meanwhile, my lovely bride had some female problem and to make a long story short - she was diagnosed with uteran cancer before Christmas and went through a total histerectomy (spelling ?). Out of work for 6 weeks, so all of the Chrismas party planning and preparation were all put on my shoulders. She's doing great, a little short of energy at times, but she's getting back to her busy happy self. Thank God

Before treatment could begin for me, I had a colonoscopy at the end of January. Had two polyps removed, both came back negative - no cancer. Thank God.

Since it had been almost five months since Cat scans were done, I had to go through that again. No pain except for the drip. Again these came back with good news - the cancer was still in the prostate. Some postive signs were that the prostate had not enlarged much more and the PSA had actually dropped. Thank God.

Thursday I began hormone treatment (makes the cancer merge together and gives the proton radiation gizmo a better target. Speaking of hormones (you ladies will love this). the two I am taking are Casodex in pill form (560 bucks for a 30 day supply) and Lupron (injection- huge needle) both have side effects such as HOT FLASHES and MOOD SWINGS. If you are unfortunate to have Prostate Cancer and go through hormone treatment - don't expect any sympathy from the ladies. My wife still laughes. Ain't that damn funny.

I get one more injection in 30 days, then eight weeks of radiation follows. I am having some pain from the cancer, but nothing like it could be. Wife and I still try to make light of our situations, but we know how serious this crap can be.

In closing - thanks for your prayers and concern, all of it is greatly appreicated.

WAR DAMN EAGLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John, I think of you daily shipmate. You and the Mrs are on my prayer list.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE Chapter (damn I don't remember)

Okay I remember now, it's Chapter 6.

Anyway sports fans, I began my radiation today, one down & 41 to go, five days a week for 8 1/2 weeks.

first step in a journey of epic porportions.

Didn't hurt, no pain, would probably involve some modesty for some guys, but Hell I just turned 60 last Tuesday, plus I'm killing cancer cells, so I ain't got no modesty. If you still have any after spending time in a hospital, then you are thin skinned fer sure.

The balloon inserted in my :moon: wasn't too bad, if I had my druthers I'd druther be fishing, but it sure beats the Hell out of the alternative. Dieing don't sound like all that much fun to me. I know my lovely bride wants to keep me around.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm still around lurking from time to time.

War Damn Eagle

It ain't football time yet? I'm ready.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Dieing don't sound like all that much fun to me.

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

Glad to hear things are looking up. Godspeed on the next 8 and a half weeks.

Archived