oldautiger's adventures with prostate cancer

oldautiger

Dieing don't sound like all that much fun to me.

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

Glad to hear things are looking up. Godspeed on the next 8 and a half weeks.

Crap, I thought I had misspelled that, I probably made more screw ups.

Thanks for the supporting words.

Give 'em hell, John! You're in my thoughts and prayers shipmate!

I know how you feel about the whole modesty thing, John. Totally goes out the window if you are in the hospital long enough. :lol:

Hang in there - hope you and M are both doing well otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Peace, and best of luck on beating this stuff. The power of positive thinking can beat a lot of things and sounds like you have a great attitude about this atc. Prayers sent.

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile since I've posted on this subject, so now I will try to get everyone caught up.

Finished my treatments about a year ago, testosterone and energy levels were way down.

My first annual check up came back OUTSTANDING . My testosterone is back up (Mrs Old is much happier these days) and my psa is still at .2 this is DAMN GOOD.

To sum up, I'm still alive and kicking - though not as active as I was.

You guys out there that are looking at 50 had better start checking your psa. Catch it early, live longer.

Oh yeah,

War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!

can't wait till football

It's been awhile since I've posted on this subject, so now I will try to get everyone caught up.

Finished my treatments about a year ago, testosterone and energy levels were way down.

My first annual check up came back OUTSTANDING . My testosterone is back up (Mrs Old is much happier these days) and my psa is still at .2 this is DAMN GOOD.

To sum up, I'm still alive and kicking - though not as active as I was.

You guys out there that are looking at 50 had better start checking your psa. Catch it early, live longer.

Oh yeah,

War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!

can't wait till football

Good news! I'm fairly new to the board and have been wondering about an update on this. Glad to hear things came back great!

Keep on cheering those Tigers!

That is great news. I was just thinking the other day that I needed to PM you and find out if there were any updates to this thread. Glad to hear you're doing well.

Good news brother! I was about to e-mail your ugly dog-faced self to see how things were going.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the concern. Sometimes you just got to suck it up & go for it.

Good news brother! I was about to e-mail your ugly dog-faced self to see how things were going.

DOG FACE, DOG FACE I resemble that remark, ugly maybe, but not dog face.

Ugly squid face, sure, but not dog face.

PS Ranger, hows your back, back up and running and stuff like that?

• 1 month later...

Good news oldautiger -- congratulations. I had my bout with prostate cancer in March of 2006 and took the "da Vinci" solution. PSA is now <0 and all of the bad stuff is GONE!

For all of you younger guys on the board. this is serious stuff!!!! Once you get past 40, you need to forget your dignity and make very good friends with a urologist.

There is a dirty little secret about prostate cancer. A high PSA is a major indicator that the cancer exists. The reverse, unfortunately, is not true. A low PSA is not a guarantee that you do not have Prostate Cancer. My PSA was "perfect". MY GP kept sticking his finger where it was very uncomfortable and never found anything. One trip to the urologist (and his very experienced finger) and we found the dirty little bugger.

Bottom line -- get checked regularly and as you get older start seeing a urologist. Just as a frame of reference, I celebrated my 56th birthday making plans for surgery.

I keep telling all these snot nosed kids to get serious about PSA's and the very dreaded DRE. Your modesty ain't gonna keep you alive.

prostate cancer by itself is not horrible, it's slow growing and non aggressive. Once it gets to a certain point on the Gleason Scale (mine was a 7 and at that "certain point"), it can get outside the prostate, then you've got big problems. You could ask Dan Fogelberg and Frank Zappa about that, but it's too late now.

I celebrate my 60th birthday in the middle of radiation, I'm 61 now and still able to boogie.

War Damn Eagle

I keep telling all these snot nosed kids to get serious about PSA's and the very dreaded DRE. Your modesty ain't gonna keep you alive.

prostate cancer by itself is not horrible, it's slow growing and non aggressive. Once it gets to a certain point on the Gleason Scale (mine was a 7 and at that "certain point"), it can get outside the prostate, then you've got big problems. You could ask Dan Fogelberg and Frank Zappa about that, but it's too late now.

I celebrate my 60th birthday in the middle of radiation, I'm 61 now and still able to boogie.

War Damn Eagle

Glad to hear that you can still boogie!! :thumbsup: WDE!!! :cheer:

• 6 months later...

War Damn Eagle

Got a PSA test last Wednesday. A total ileostomy in 1992 rules out any DREs.

My dad let his prostate cancer go too long, and it spread to bone cancer. Glad to hear you caught yours in time!

War Damn Eagle

Got a PSA test last Wednesday. A total ileostomy in 1992 rules out any DREs.

My dad let his prostate cancer go too long, and it spread to bone cancer. Glad to hear you caught yours in time!

Some guys think that prostate cancer is slow and non-aggressive. It is to a point, then it turns aggressive and nasty really quick, gets out of the prostate and into everything else.

My ex-wife's father had a lot of trouble with his prostate and didn't believe the doctors. He had it removed, but it came back in his bones, like your father's. Thankfully he didn't suffer long. There are much worse cancers, but as far as I'm concerned, they are all dangerous and should be treated ASAP.

Sorry about your dad.

About your situation, I did a google search on ileostomy, and saw something about a reversal process. Is that something you could be a candidate for?

Hang in there Newby, prayin for ya man.

WDE

There are much worse cancers, but as far as I'm concerned, they are all dangerous and should be treated ASAP.

Amen!

My ileostomy is permanent - worn out colon removed - worn out rear end sewn up. I had had Crohn's 28 years before the surgery. As bad as that sounds, that operation gave me back my life, and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

In my case, it does make having a PSA test at least yearly very important. You are a positive example for us all. Guys, get your tests. The Auburn Family needs you around to holler War Eagle! And boogie.

• 3 months later...

Sent another prayer just now John. Keep us posted as to your continued progress.

WDE!

Tim

Prayers sent. My grandfather just lost a battle of 2 1/2 years to a Grade 3 brain tumor. He was 71.

Sent another prayer just now John. Keep us posted as to your continued progress.

WDE!

Tim

Prayers sent. My grandfather just lost a battle of 2 1/2 years to a Grade 3 brain tumor. He was 71.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

My first wife (after we were divorced) also died of a brain tumor, sad.

Cancer just doesn't care who or what you are.

• 2 years later...

Follow up time. Went to see my oncologist yesterday and psa & dre turned out good. I'm one of those people who believe you never really beat that stuff. I just say I'm in remission.

Did have some rough times lately, my sweet wife, Mrs Old passed away last October after her 4th battle with cancer, didn't watch much football after that. Still devastated after almost 8 months,

but improving a little at a time.

Guys, never pass up an opportunity to hug, kiss and tell your wife you love her. Never know when they might be snatched away from you.

So sorry to hear about your loss oldautiger. Good to hear from you again and hear you are doing well. Sorry about your loss.

• 3 years later...

Archived