Good News for AU students

Draven

Auburn Student Tickets And Seating Changes Made At Basketball Games

Tigers open 2006-07 regular season Nov. 10 against Troy at 7 p.m. CT

Sept. 6, 2006

AUBURN - Auburn has restructured the student ticket policy and student section for the 2006-07 season to encourage student involvement at Tiger basketball games and to improve the game-day environment at Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum. This season, the first 500 AU students will be admitted free to men's and women's basketball games and a new seating arrangement will allow Auburn students to take ownership of the risers adjacent to the benches in the lower portion of sections 1, 2, 10, 11, and 12.

"We appreciate Auburn students and their support of Auburn athletics," said Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs. "As a former Auburn student, I would have loved to have cheered courtside for the Tigers and feel our students deserve the opportunity. Our goal is to provide Auburn basketball teams a homecourt advantage each time they step on the court and feel the students' courtside presence will enhance the game day atmosphere."

With the implementation of the first 500 students being admitted for free to all Auburn Basketball home games, student tickets will only be available on a game-by-game basis, eliminating student season tickets.

Individual game tickets will be available at 9 a.m. CT the business day prior to each home basketball game at the ticket office inside the Coliseum and will be free for the first 500 students with a valid ID and $2 each after that. Tickets will be available starting on Friday for any weekend games.

"Students are a vital part of the atmosphere inside the Coliseum, and they can make a big difference in the way we play," said Auburn head coach Jeff Lebo. "Our team feeds off the energy in the building."

Students will be given a color-coded wristband that is dated for the specific game. The free wristbands will be available during regular ticket office hours and at the upper East Coliseum entrance 90 minutes prior to tip-off while supplies last.

"The change should be great because the students will be right on top of us where they can yell and distract the opponent," said junior guard Frank Tolbert. "It is going to be exciting to see all of our students wearing orange shirts and jumping up and down and going crazy. I can't wait for our first home game."

Click ME!

Maybe this will help spark some additional attendance not that student attendance was every really a big issue or from what I understand at least. Have we not always had a good number of students show up.

At the Kentucky game last year, better student showing than I've ever seen. Students had one whole side of the Coliseum packed from top to bottom.

The other seats were barely touched - which is understandable as those seats are $20+ per game. Ridiculous.

I am glad to see that Auburn is making some much needed changes to improve the atmosphere. The first 500 students free is cool and now they have decided to put students closer to the court and surround the court, very cool. I said for a long time that the atmosphere at AU basketball games is lame and they need to put students around the court. Maybe we are finally starting to pay attention to basketball because it would be nice to have a winner and have people that care. I hope the trustees and athletic department decides to build a new arena because that would go a long way in improving the basketball program.

a new seating arrangement will allow Auburn students to take ownership of the risers adjacent to the benches in the lower portion of sections 1, 2, 10, 11, and 12.

Wait a minute!!! When I hear benches, I usually think of the team benches which are on the other side of the court next to the scorer's table. This "new" plan just spreads out the students from section 11 into the two adjacent sections (10 and 12). While I appreciate the first 500 students getting free admission, I don't think this arrangement is that major of a change. We will have a new arena in the next few years. I know it will happen.

Maybe this will help spark some additional attendance not that student attendance was every really a big issue or from what I understand at least. Have we not always had a good number of students show up.

I thought student support for basketball last year was sad- What really PO'ed me was the number of AU students who came to the UK game to root against the Tigers.... Especially the one girl who had a sign "I <3 :au: in football, but always :uk: in basketball'' :angryfire:

I thought student support for basketball last year was sad- What really PO'ed me was the number of AU students who came to the UK game to root against the Tigers.... Especially the one girl who had a sign "I <3 :au: in football, but always :uk: in basketball'' :angryfire:

Sadly I moved away from the plains back two years ago, so I don't get to attend may basketball games. Honestly its not worth driving all the way up like it is for football to me, even if we were more competitive. However for students wins will garner a lot of support from them that and maybe the 500 tickets too.

Not uncommon for the Kentucky game, I think it has something to do with the fact that Kentucky doesn't have a vet school in the state. Because of that people can come to Auburn for in-state tuition if its for vet school. Lot of them probably would have gone to UK if it had a vet school.

I bet there'll be a bunch of students who say screw it when they are #501 or greater, so they may partially be capping attendance. Especially if they do it like they used to and you can't put the $2 on the Tiger Card for mommy and daddy to pay.

It still won't help the rediculously low alumni attendance. Not that I can say anythign, because I haven't been since I graduated a couple years ago, but it's too far to make a weekday game from Bham and get back at a decent time. This year I do plan on making a few weekend games when possible.

• 1 month later...

I hope it helps attendence. This can be a good thing. I wish people got involved with other sports like they do with football. I was thinking that maybe they can give spirit points to clubs and greeks for attendence to games in any sport. That would get a lot more people to go. I'm not exactly sure how the whole system works, but there has to be a way to get students more involved with other sports.

I hope it helps attendence. This can be a good thing. I wish people got involved with other sports like they do with football. I was thinking that maybe they can give spirit points to clubs and greeks for attendence to games in any sport. That would get a lot more people to go. I'm not exactly sure how the whole system works, but there has to be a way to get students more involved with other sports.

We now have this...but it was very under publicized and I didn't even know it existed until last week.

Details are available at the linked website...not sure how well it will work, if at all.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/auignited/aub...ited-about.html

“Auburn Ignited” is an annual program created by the Auburn University Sports Marketing department to promote student attendance and involvement at Auburn University athletic events.

Our hope is that an increase in student attendance will ultimately result in a Home Field Advantage for Auburn athletics as well as enhance the overall experience for players and spectators.

"Auburn Ignited" is designed to reward students based on their attendance at events. Each student who chooses to participate will initially receive a paper card with space allotted for 10 stamps. After attending 10 events, thus receiving 10 stamps, the student will be provided an "Auburn Ignited" membership card and t-shirt. The membership card will have a barcode unique to each student member. In order to receive points, this card will need to be scanned upon entry at each sporting event the student attends. All regular-season sporting events (excluding football) will count as 1 point. The Marketing department reserves the right to award extra points at individual events (ex: “All Auburn, All Orange”).

There are 5 Reward Levels at which every member has a chance to earn the stated prize. Additionally, there are 2 awards available for individuals. The .rst is an MVP award for the student with the most points in the current athletic year. The second prize is a grand prize. Each student will receive 1 entry for the grand prize for every 10 events he/she attends. The grand prize drawing will be held after spring sports have completed their regular seasons. If possible, additional random drawings will be conducted and prizes given to individual members.

We now have this...but it was very under publicized and I didn't even know it existed until last week.

Details are available at the linked website...not sure how well it will work, if at all.

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/auignited/aub...ited-about.html

“Auburn Ignited” is an annual program created by the Auburn University Sports Marketing department to promote student attendance and involvement at Auburn University athletic events.

Our hope is that an increase in student attendance will ultimately result in a Home Field Advantage for Auburn athletics as well as enhance the overall experience for players and spectators.

"Auburn Ignited" is designed to reward students based on their attendance at events. Each student who chooses to participate will initially receive a paper card with space allotted for 10 stamps. After attending 10 events, thus receiving 10 stamps, the student will be provided an "Auburn Ignited" membership card and t-shirt. The membership card will have a barcode unique to each student member. In order to receive points, this card will need to be scanned upon entry at each sporting event the student attends. All regular-season sporting events (excluding football) will count as 1 point. The Marketing department reserves the right to award extra points at individual events (ex: “All Auburn, All Orange”).

There are 5 Reward Levels at which every member has a chance to earn the stated prize. Additionally, there are 2 awards available for individuals. The .rst is an MVP award for the student with the most points in the current athletic year. The second prize is a grand prize. Each student will receive 1 entry for the grand prize for every 10 events he/she attends. The grand prize drawing will be held after spring sports have completed their regular seasons. If possible, additional random drawings will be conducted and prizes given to individual members.

oh...I heard about that, though most did not. I was talking about how the greeks earn their seats for football. They have to get spirit points or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived