"Crimson Tide Fans Irrational"

DKW 86

http://studentaffairs.sass.uab.edu/kscope/index_Page1849.htm

Dale Addison

Senior Staff Writer

Football season is officially upon us, and the entire sporting world is rejoicing.

The weather does not seem to be affected in any way, but my mood sure does.

There is nothing better than real discussions with intelligent fans about the football games, players and coaches themselves.

The official start of the college football season signifies that it is time to throw all of the hypotheticals out the window, and it is time to base all conversation off the games and statistics themselves. Or is it?

I want to preface this column by saying that I do understand and am well aware that all football teams have ridiculous and over-the-top annoying fans.

I have lived in three different states (Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina) that take football more serious than a terminal illness.

However, I have never lived in another state where less logic is used by a fan base than with the avid supporters of the crimson and white of the University of Alabama. You already know the types of fans who I am referring to, and don’t give me the lame excuse that I would have to be from this state to understand. I was born and raised in the state of Alabama.

The majority of the University of Alabama’s fan base is completely unrealistic about each season — no matter what the odds are!

Let’s examine why Alabama fans are the most irrational fans in college sports.

Sports talk radio is hammered every day with belligerent Alabama fans who whine that Alabama isn’t getting the respect they deserve this year. They all want to know why they only managed to be ranked number 24 in the preseason when they finished last year 10-2.

Are you kidding me? For starters, last year they won with a completely different team.

Are all Alabama fans so ignorant that they cannot truthfully examine the talent level they have in 2006 in comparison to the talent level of the teams ranked above them? Do Alabama fans not understand their toughest games are on the road this season? That will make a difference at the end of the season in regards to any team’s win-loss record.

Speaking of that, most Alabama fans are swearing this team is destined to win the SEC West. Give me a break!

Why does every Alabama fan feel their players are better than all the other teams? With an Alabama fan, statistics just don’t matter apparently. They will swear Jon Parker Wilson is one of the best and most underrated quarterbacks in the league, yet the man has not once in his career started a Division I game.

What about players such as Larry McSwain? I do not believe that Alabama has a defensive end half as dominating as McSwain.

Alabama fans need to remember that validity is proven through accomplishments on the playing field that are not in history.

This brings me to the major problem with Alabama fans — they are like stalkers. They just cannot let go of what they did on the field ages ago.

Bear Bryant and his legacy are dead! Did you hear me? Let me make myself clear — Bear Bryant is dead! :o:roflol:

Get over it, this is not the good old days. Football has evolved, try it sometime as a fan. I am sick of every conversation with an Alabama supporter reverting back to, “Well back in the day, Alabama was always competing for ...” It’s not back in the day, it is 2006! Alabama is not the program they once were.

How do the statistics of Brodie Croyle and Darrell Hackney compare? I’ll tell you — Hackney’s prove him better.

Where is Kennedy Winston? He is probably still in Tuscaloosa somewhere while UAB’s own Donell Taylor is in the NBA.

That is a reality that you must learn to accept.

Here is how ridiculous Bama fans can get — last year before the Super Bowl, WJOX had a guest on from NFL network to speak about the game, and he gave an analysis of how great the Steelers’ defense was.

Do you know what this ridiculous Bama fan had the nerve to call and ask? He asked him to compare the Steelers “D” to the “D” of the 1992 Crimson Tide. The caller went on to mention how he believes the two were mirror images of one another based off of their history and their defensive mindset.

The analyst quickly pointed out the man’s lack of intelligence by explaining that there was no way he would defile the Steelers by making that comparison. He hammered the point that the Steelers were a pro team and Bama was only a meager college team. Then he proceeded to make fun of the state of Alabama because of the overzealous Alabama fans’ comments that fit the exact stereotype the sporting world has toward the state in regards to their college football fans. They are uneducated nut jobs.

How crazy can you be when you want to compare the pros to the college ranks?

I believe you are starting to see my point. How many of you, if you are a crimson and white supporter, have the majority of your sports debates revert back to the 1992 national championship team? The light bulb should be going off about now.

Let me stir the emotional pot and bring up the “FEAR THE THUMB” shirt that Auburn Head Coach Tommy Tubberville wore last year after Auburn beat Alabama for the forth straight year.

I never thought the distraught phone calls would end on the WJOX radio station. If I woke up one more morning to find another sound off in The Birmingham News complaining of the injustice, I thought I was going to go postal. Fans were screaming and crying that Tubberville had no class for wearing that shirt.

The Tide fans continued to swear up and down they would never let coach Shula wear a shirt like that. Tubberville was showing support for his team’s efforts.

Is that not what every Bama fan is about — supporting the team? Bama fans are hysterically emotional when it comes to supporting their team.

If you as a fan require that much coddling to stop the infant-like crying, all you have to do is beat Auburn to dry up those monstrous tears that have been running down your cheeks for the past decade.

Bama fans, let go of the would of, should of, could of arguments. They are as redundant and tiring as listening to elevator music. Quit letting your emotions rule you. Let the past go, and please, please, please understand that the landscape of college football has changed.

I am sick of every conversation with an Alabama supporter reverting back to, “Well back in the day, Alabama was always competing for ...” It’s not back in the day, it is 2006! Alabama is not the program they once were.

That's a tire iron to the noggin'

Here is how ridiculous Bama fans can get — last year before the Super Bowl, WJOX had a guest on from NFL network to speak about the game, and he gave an analysis of how great the Steelers’ defense was.

Do you know what this ridiculous Bama fan had the nerve to call and ask? He asked him to compare the Steelers “D” to the “D” of the 1992 Crimson Tide. The caller went on to mention how he believes the two were mirror images of one another based off of their history and their defensive mindset.

The analyst quickly pointed out the man’s lack of intelligence by explaining that there was no way he would defile the Steelers by making that comparison. He hammered the point that the Steelers were a pro team and Bama was only a meager college team. Then he proceeded to make fun of the state of Alabama because of the overzealous Alabama fans’ comments that fit the exact stereotype the sporting world has toward the state in regards to their college football fans. They are uneducated nut jobs.

I've always said and I stand by my statement that bammer fans have done more to promote the bad stereotype the rest of the nation has of our state. See BG, I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Bama fans, let go of the would of, should of, could of arguments. They are as redundant and tiring as listening to elevator music. Quit letting your emotions rule you. Let the past go, and please, please, please understand that the landscape of college football has changed

Preach it brother! Testify!

This dude should seriously look into joining the witness protection program. If I were him, I would keep my eyes out for raggedly looking 1973 F-150 pickup trucks with 3 shades of primer paint sporting "Got 12" bumper stickers suspiciously hanging around outside the apartment.

Witness protection is definately required. The writer should have learned, from a lifetime in this State, the uaters are not interested in the truth. It gets in the way of a good lie. B)

p.s. Green and Gold Bricks? :(

that is the most beautiful piece of literature written in this state since To Kill A Mockingbird.

Now we have To Kill A Myth. :cry3:

Too bad most bammers won't or can't read it.

that is the most beautiful piece of literature written in this state since To Kill A Mockingbird.

Now we have To Kill A Myth. :cry3:

Too bad most bammers won't or can't read it.

:roflol: Good job! Very nicely done.

Post of the day.

I'm definitely firing this little beauty off in a mass email.

:puke::ua:

Me TOO ! ! ! Twenty five of my "friends" have just recieved this little jewel! B)

DKW....This one needs to make it's way over to the Classics Forum! ! ! :thumbsup:

Post of the day.

I'm definitely firing this little beauty off in a mass email.

:puke::ua:

Me TOO ! ! ! Twenty five of my "friends" have just recieved this little jewel! B)

DKW....This one needs to make it's way over to the Classics Forum! ! ! :thumbsup:

I'll second that Classics worthy indeed.

Wow - what an article. I'm sure he'll get a call or two on that one. I wonder what the response on the Bama message boards will be. LOL

And after all that, he's still the beat writer for freaking UAB. Damn, that's gotta suck.

A shot of Legion Field on a UAB gameday...

uab.jpg

They'd be a 3-point favorite against the Tide if :ua: ever got the stones to play them. That, my friend, has to suck.

They'd be a 3-point favorite against the Tide if :ua: ever got the stones to play them. That, my friend, has to suck.

Why did the chicken cross the road? To get away from UAB! ! ! B)

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. "BEATDOWN COMING!" :poke:

If we had the stones to play them? The fact of the matter is that we don't NEED to play them. Neither :ua: or :au: will touch Troy or UAB. Other schools do this as well with smaller, in-state schools (see Arkansas-ASU). There's nothing in for either one of us and therefore, both of us will schedule a ULM/Buffalo in place of an in-state school.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. "BEATDOWN COMING!" :poke:

If we had the stones to play them? The fact of the matter is that we don't NEED to play them. Neither :ua: or :au: will touch Troy or UAB. Other schools do this as well with smaller, in-state schools (see Arkansas-ASU). There's nothing in for either one of us and therefore, both of us will schedule a ULM/Buffalo in place of an in-state school.

Auburn has played UAB

I unfortunately had to spend last year at UAT and from experience I can say that the article nails it on the head. Just spending one year there I experienced everything he discussed.

Archived