It'd never play in Nashville

Donutboy

Bruce Springsteen told a crowd of 50,000 New Yorkers on October 4th to "shout a little louder if you want the president impeached." Two weeks later, John Mellencamp posted an open letter to America on his Web site, declaring, "We have been lied to and terrorized by our own government, and it is time to take action." Meanwhile, Moby, Eddie Vedder and Michael Stipe are organizing a TV-ad campaign that will run anti-Bush commercials during the week of the State of the Union address in January; Dave Matthews is railing against the war in Iraq in interviews; and at press time, at least three multiband rock tours planned to take aim at Bush-administration policies. Green Day, NOFX, Tom Morello, Dixie Chicks, Don Henley, Willie Nelson and Steve Earle have all played (or plan to play) for political candidates or causes. Hip-hop stars have also gotten involved. "We have a voice and a responsibility to speak out," says Jay-Z, a member of Russell Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit, which aims to register 4 million voters before the 2004 election. "People listen to us."

Unlike the hypocrites in Country Music, Rock stars can still exercise their freedom of speech without impunity. I now have a few added items on my Christmas wish list. ANY CDs by Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Pearl Jam, REM, Green Day, et al..... Of course, I've already bought the new Dixie Chicks Top of the World CD. :D

Rockers Unite Against Bush

Bruce Springsteen told a crowd of 50,000 New Yorkers on October 4th to "shout a little louder if you want the president impeached." Two weeks later, John Mellencamp posted an open letter to America on his Web site, declaring, "We have been lied to and terrorized by our own government, and it is time to take action." Meanwhile, Moby, Eddie Vedder and Michael Stipe are organizing a TV-ad campaign that will run anti-Bush commercials during the week of the State of the Union address in January; Dave Matthews is railing against the war in Iraq in interviews; and at press time, at least three multiband rock tours planned to take aim at Bush-administration policies. Green Day, NOFX, Tom Morello, Dixie Chicks, Don Henley, Willie Nelson and Steve Earle have all played (or plan to play) for political candidates or causes. Hip-hop stars have also gotten involved. "We have a voice and a responsibility to speak out," says Jay-Z, a member of Russell Simmons' Hip-Hop Summit, which aims to register 4 million voters before the 2004 election. "People listen to us."

Unlike the hypocrites in Country Music, Rock stars can still exercise their freedom of speech without impunity. I now have a few added items on my Christmas wish list. ANY CDs by Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, Pearl Jam, REM, Green Day, et al..... Of course, I've already bought the new Dixie Chicks Top of the World CD. :D

Rockers Unite Against Bush

I usually do not post here, just read with interest. However, even though I do not wish to start a political debate, I feel compelled to say something...

When Country Music and their fans support President Bush, they are being hypocritical, but when "Rockers Unite" against Bush, there views are justified?

Hmmmm....just a quick question. Isn't this a "hypocritical" point of view in itself?

As a true independent, I have trouble with both parties. However, the thing that bothers me the most about the Democratic Party IS their hypocrisy. Just like the Dixie Chicks whining when certain people voiced their opinion about them. THEY were allowed to voice theirs about Bush and stated they were exercising "Freedom of Speech". Yet, when fans voiced their anti-Chick opinions, they whined and cried.

Just like other Democrats are so quick to blame Bush for 9/11, yet they fail to realize Clinton had 8 lonnggg years to do something and he looked the other way. Even some Democrats who do not want to ride on Clinton's coat tails will admit that.

I am still undecided about alot of things this voting year. But it seems that the Democratic Party is running out of things to base their campaign on. First they thought they could not beat Bush on the War, so it was going to be the Economy. Guess what folks? Economy is recovering. Okie Dokie fellow Dems, economy is recovering, what now. Let's put our heads together - I have it - It is a JOBLESS RECOVERY. Ooops, those jobless claims are falling quick. People are hiring. Let's see, people are starting to not be able to stomach this Iraq thing. I've got it - Base your campaign on the War in Iraq (even though most of them supported the resolution). Hypocrisy in it's purest form. The Dems better find a leader quick who will speak on what THEY will do for America, not what Bush has done wrong. It is real easy to balme someone else and not put a plan out for what YOU would have done. (They had also better hope it is not Dean).

Now, before you blast me for my "conservative" viewpoints, I could also list a couple of things wrong with the current admin. However, at this point give me the Republicans any day... :P

I'd be willing to bet if one of the more prominent "rockers" came out in support of Bush and suffered a backlash from the rock community in terms of what was said and album sales and such, there wouldn't be a peep uttered from the libs about "free speech" or hypocrisy. We'd be hearing all about the "free market" and "living with the consequences of what you say".

And they'd be right because both of those principles are true. Everyone is pretty much free to say what they believe (unless you're a conservative student on a college campus these days, but I digress). But they can't be upset if people who disagree with that stance decide to take their money elsewhere. That's their right. If the gov't stifles their speech, they should scream to high heaven. But when private citizens or companies exercise their right to direct their money and energies elsewhere...them's the breaks. Consider the consequences and speak accordingly.

The point being...the Dixie Chicks were not treated "hypocritically" and the rock community is not some bastion of free speech. Both situations were examples of the pros and cons of free speech and the free market. It cuts both ways depending on who your audience is.

kimipela writes: I usually do not post here, just read with interest. However, even though I do not wish to start a political debate, I feel compelled to say something...

When Country Music and their fans support President Bush, they are being hypocritical, but when "Rockers Unite" against Bush, there views are justified?

Hmmmm....just a quick question. Isn't this a "hypocritical" point of view in itself?

No. The radio stations decided to stop playing the Dixie Chicks for their statement about Bush. Of course, this had nothing to do with the ones banning their songs being members of the Republican-owned "Clear Channel" network. I don't recall a Rock Star ever being banned for his political views, even when conservative like Ted Nugent. There's the rub!! One side allows freedom of speech without impunity, while the other doesn't. There's your hypocrisy!!

As a true independent, I have trouble with both parties. However, the thing that bothers me the most about the Democratic Party IS their hypocrisy. Just like the Dixie Chicks whining when certain people voiced their opinion about them. THEY were allowed to voice theirs about Bush and stated they were exercising "Freedom of Speech". Yet, when fans voiced their anti-Chick opinions, they whined and cried.

I was told by Wes McShay(?), programming director of WDRM in Decatur that when 10% of calls about an artist are negative, they will remove them from their play list. Through concerted call-in efforts of the local talk radio shows, they met the criteria. I can't imagine how we could get 91% of the listening audience to call in requesting the Chicks be played but if you want to see a true picture of the boycott against the Chicks, check many of the sites about Country Music 2003. The Chicks grossed $60 million in their "top of the World" tour and have been the top Country act in sales in all of 2003, so far.

Dixie Chicks on Top of the World

Just like other Democrats are so quick to blame Bush for 9/11, yet they fail to realize Clinton had 8 lonnggg years to do something and he looked the other way. Even some Democrats who do not want to ride on Clinton's coat tails will admit that.

Not sure where you're going with this. Clinton was long gone from office when 9-11 happened and this adminstration was prewarned weeks before the attacks that a terrorist attack was imminent (There's that word again) and that airplanes would be used as missles but we ignored the threat. THAT'S the real reason Bush keeps hiding the facts from the independent investigation into 9-11 from the commission charged with finding the truth about 9-11 and how we can prevent another attrocity like it. You can bet if there were anything in it implicating Clinton, it'd been rushed to Fox News before the ink dried on it.

I am still undecided about alot of things this voting year. But it seems that the Democratic Party is running out of things to base their campaign on. First they thought they could not beat Bush on the War, so it was going to be the Economy. Guess what folks? Economy is recovering. Okie Dokie fellow Dems, economy is recovering, what now. Let's put our heads together - I have it - It is a JOBLESS RECOVERY. Ooops, those jobless claims are falling quick. People are hiring. Let's see, people are starting to not be able to stomach this Iraq thing. I've got it - Base your campaign on the War in Iraq (even though most of them supported the resolution). Hypocrisy in it's purest form. The Dems better find a leader quick who will speak on what THEY will do for America, not what Bush has done wrong. It is real easy to balme someone else and not put a plan out for what YOU would have done. (They had also better hope it is not Dean).

It IS a jobless recovery. Our companies HAVE invested that tax money into creating new jobs.... in Singapore, China, Mexico, Taiwan and now we're trying to pass legislation to make it even cheaper to create jobs for the Latin American nations. Too bad Bush's buddies don't feel the need to provide jobs for those they expect to buy their products!!

Now, before you blast me for my "conservative" viewpoints, I could also list a couple of things wrong with the current admin. However, at this point give me the Republicans any day... 

No, I respect everyone's views, even when wrong. ;) My only problem is someone who calls themself an independent when their post clearly defines who they really are. You won't see TigerAl, MDM4AU or the others in this forum hiding behind the "I'm an independent, but..." argument.

So, is that supposed to mean something? Who cares what a bunch of rock stars think? It is not like they are considered very intelligent anyway. Heck, half are hardcore drug users, alcohilics, and the such with no morals. This is a group that the democrats are happy to have the support of? Talking about being hypocritical. Geez! :rolleyes:

So, is that supposed to mean something? Who cares what a bunch of rock stars think? It is not like they are considered very intelligent anyway. Heck, half are hardcore drug users, alcohilics, and the such with no morals. This is a group that the democrats are happy to have the support of? Talking about being hypocritical. Geez! :rolleyes:

I'll tell you why it matters. These Rockers are banding together to air ads aginst Bush and giving concerts leading up to November 2004. One of the Democrats largest demographics are young people who support more freedoms for EVERYONE. Unfortunately for the Democrats, this group as a whole voted in fewer numbers than any other demographic in the last elections. The Rockers themselves are trying to Rock the Vote to get these young people to the polls.

Archived