"Style Points"

Ranger12

If a person was to look at the majority of the posts on this board and not know the score, they would think we lost tonight.

I think we can all agree that this was not a great defensively coached game by Muschcamp. We can all agree that there were blown coverages and missed tackles. We can all agree that maybe we should have blitzed a little more.

However, the sky is not falling folks. We had a tough game on the road in the SEC. Heck SC would be one of the best teams in most other conferences.

Instead of tearing down the team and the coaches, let's try to shake this off like they will. They will look at the tapes and see what Spurrier did and hopefully be ready for the Arky game. If not, life goes on.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Urban Meyer is licking his chops after watching this game tonight. Tebow will just torch us on those plays when he comes in.

I personally think one of the best coaches in the game took advantage of our injuries and lack of experience in the secondary with the replacements.

Anyone know when Wilhite will be able to go again, and how about Gandy? He played some during the Buffalo game didn't he?

Glory Glory to old Auburn

A U B U R N ! ! ! :cheer:

Anyone know when Wilhite will be able to go again, and how about Gandy? He played some during the Buffalo game didn't he?

Also, anyone have any word on Josh Thompson? I noticed him kinda gimpy after a play and also noticed him out on that last drive.

I agree 100% ranger. Here in lies the problem with so much hype and talk after weeek 4 in a very long season imo.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. We have had too many talking about the MNC only four games into the season. I have tried to counter that whenever I could. I made the comment a couple of days ago about us making sure we don't eat crow when demanding respect. We found out tonight we are not where we thought we were. We have some issues to work out, but because of all the hype, there are way too many thinking we are done because of one bad game, even though we won.

Look, I watched the same game everybody else did. I yelled at the TV several times. Just ask Blonde Wasabi. However, I am more relieved that we got a road win with our weaknesses being exposed. My point is that isn't it better to have those weaknesses exposed and come out with a win rather then a defeat? I guess it depends on how you look at the old "is the glass half full or empty" cliche. To me, I say the glass is half full. If we were not a top 5 team, we would have gotten beaten tonight with our defense getting exposed like that. However, our offense made the plays when necessary, our head coach made the calls when necessary, and the defense made the holds when necessary, to win the game.

Be happy that the coaches now saw the holes in the defense, but we still came away with the win. Now the coaches can fix those holes so that better teams can't beat us with those same weaknesses.

Guys this is coming from an SC fans point of view, but your D isn't that bad, look what they did against LSU. Your DC had a great gameplan going into the game. We have a WR playing qb, and he was going to drop 8 into coverage make him play the game of his life beat you. He played the game of his life and it was still not good enough. Kinda weird situation, we have our heads held high, and you are dissapointed. You guys won the game on the road in a tough enviornment. When you win 20 of 21 SEC games not all of them are going to be "perfect" wins. Just look at OSUck when they won the NC a few years back, they almost lost a few games. Hold your heads high, you have an amazing team!

The only thing that really disturbed me was our inability to get a yard or two when we had to have it. If we convert the third and two at the end -- where Kenny jumped four yards short and got knocked back -- we get the first down, run another two minutes off the clock and maybe go on to score. 31-17 would have felt a lot better.

On defense, they found something that worked. Something we weren't prepared to defend and curiously never really adjusted to.

Well I'm sorry to say.. but in today's game you can't just win ballgames, you have to dominate. Until Auburn can dominate everyone all the time and be that great team that we have potential to be we'll have to listen to 12 national championships blah blah blah.... :puke::puke:

I hate games where you are suppose to get style points. I think it has a negative effect on performance cause the team worries more about style than just getting the job done.

Be a nice sports psych study.

......................................USC 2004.............................................

09/25/2004.............Stanford.............Palo Alto, Calif.............31-28

10/09/2004.............California............L.A. Coliseum..............23-17

11/06/2004.............Oregon St...........Corvallis, Ore..............28-20

12/04/2004.............UCLA..................Pasadena, Calif...........29-24

No style points in those games...did it matter in the end? Nope.

Face it guys, we're not getting "style points" out of a CTT coached team. That's not the way he coaches and it's obvious he's not going to change the way he does his PROFESSION just to please some washed up voters...and I don't blame him. If winning is not enough, why even be a fan of the game?

5-0, WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

If a person was to look at the majority of the posts on this board and not know the score, they would think we lost tonight.

I think we can all agree that this was not a great defensively coached game by Muschcamp. We can all agree that there were blown coverages and missed tackles. We can all agree that maybe we should have blitzed a little more.

However, the sky is not falling folks. We had a tough game on the road in the SEC. Heck SC would be one of the best teams in most other conferences.

Instead of tearing down the team and the coaches, let's try to shake this off like they will. They will look at the tapes and see what Spurrier did and hopefully be ready for the Arky game. If not, life goes on.

We gave up 17 points. We also had an LB make a great interception in the endzone against the best WR in the SEC and we also defended him successfully in the endzone with the game on the line. Kenny went over 100 yds, Brandon had a decent game and we held the ball for an entire quarter. I've never seen that before. USC was sky high and played well.

Face it guys, we're not getting style points out of a CTT coached team. That's not the way he coaches and it's obvious he's not going to change the way he does his PROFESSION just to please some washed up voters...and I don't blame him. If winning is not enough, why even be a fan of the game.

5-0, WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

Amen brother! I will not go to bed tonight worried about our next game. We won and I have faith in CTT, CAB, and CWM to make the changes and fix the problems. Have we forgetten who we are and what our CTT's record is in the last few years?

Give Tubbs kudos for "style Ponits" We pulled out an onsides kicks and a 4th and goal, and an interception in the endzone. All stlye Points. ON a short week and on the road SEC . I will take it. It was a great game to enjoy and watch. Who cares if we outscored them by 40. We didn't even cover the 14 point spread but we still won and are still undefeated. WAR EAGLE!

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. We have had too many talking about the MNC only four games into the season. I have tried to counter that whenever I could. I made the comment a couple of days ago about us making sure we don't eat crow when demanding respect. We found out tonight we are not where we thought we were. We have some issues to work out, but because of all the hype, there are way too many thinking we are done because of one bad game, even though we won.

Look, I watched the same game everybody else did. I yelled at the TV several times. Just ask Blonde Wasabi. However, I am more relieved that we got a road win with our weaknesses being exposed. My point is that isn't it better to have those weaknesses exposed and come out with a win rather then a defeat? I guess it depends on how you look at the old "is the glass half full or empty" cliche. To me, I say the glass is half full. If we were not a top 5 team, we would have gotten beaten tonight with our defense getting exposed like that. However, our offense made the plays when necessary, our head coach made the calls when necessary, and the defense made the holds when necessary, to win the game.

Be happy that the coaches now saw the holes in the defense, but we still came away with the win. Now the coaches can fix those holes so that better teams can't beat us with those same weaknesses.

Ranger, no one has said "WE ARE DONE!" We won a very bad game against a team that Georgis shut oput three weeks ago. A team that barely beat Wofford. A team that did not score a Normal TD against MSU. We had to get a last second drop to beat a team with 2 Fr on the OL and a WR at QB.

We won, but we may have lost a shot at the BCSCG even if we win out. We looked horrible on D. We did not stop them but one time since the 1st Quarter. It was an awfully called d game. We saw the same problems we saw against Buffalo. We just could not stop anything. We had the ball ALL of the 3rd and then only 6 plays of the 4th.

We do not look like a good D team now. We cetainly do not look like a #2 team with 5 games under its belt. Auburn has one big problem. We fail over and over to live up to high expectations. We have to learn how to win a game and get some respect from the polls.

We dont know how the rest of the NCAA will do this weekend, but I am going to be sick watching this D the rest of the season unless they improve dramatically.

......................................USC 2004.............................................

09/25/2004.............Stanford.............Palo Alto, Calif.............31-28

10/09/2004.............California............L.A. Coliseum..............23-17

11/06/2004.............Oregon St...........Corvallis, Ore..............28-20

12/04/2004.............UCLA..................Pasadena, Calif...........29-24

No style points in those games...did it matter in the end? Nope.

Face it guys, we're not getting style points out of a CTT coached team. That's not the way he coaches and it's obvious he's not going to change the way he does his PROFESSION just to please some washed up voters...and I don't blame him. If winning is not enough, why even be a fan of the game?

5-0, WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

I whole heartedly agree with the fact that Tubs refuses to try to run up the score and get those style points and I have the utmost respect for him because of it, but you forget that Auburn isn't the media darling that the USC, Texas, Oklahoma, OSU, etc. etc. are. Not to mention that Tubs couldn't have run the score up tonight if he wanted to. But when it all boils down to it we're either gonna have to impress the voters or settle for some more "People's National Championships".

5-0 is all that matters. It's still a long season, alot can happen. Including with our guys, there are some tough games coming up. I'm not ready to cash it in yet. Besides, the AP poll no longer factors in.

Archived