"Style Points"

Ranger12

It's a long season and we have a long way to go.

You're just speculating.

:lol: My bad. I need to work on that and try to state the obvious more.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And please don't remind me how it's a long season and we have a long way to go... I know all that, but this is a fan forum, it'd be boring if nobody is allowed to speculate!

Speculate all you want....it's just irrelevant at this point.

Oh come on.. we all know this just win and everything will take care of itself is a bunch of bs.. see 2004. How many times must it be said.. YOU CAN'T JUST WIN ANYMORE... YOU MUST WIN BIG AND IMPRESS VOTERS OR YOU DON'T PUT TROPHIES IN THE CASE

Preach on, preach on. For me, 2004 is still too fresh on my mind. We win with styles or we don't go to NC. It's that simple. Anyone failing to see it is just avoid reality.

Oh come on.. we all know this just win and everything will take care of itself is a bunch of bs.. see 2004. How many times must it be said.. YOU CAN'T JUST WIN ANYMORE... YOU MUST WIN BIG AND IMPRESS VOTERS OR YOU DON'T PUT TROPHIES IN THE CASE

Well, why don't you go tell CTT that, because he has been quoted as saying exactly that. But, what the heck does he know.

Preach on, preach on. For me, 2004 is still too fresh on my mind. We win with styles or we don't go to NC. It's that simple. Anyone failing to see it is just avoid reality.

By all means, you guys just get together and pool all the whiney, bitchy, "voters-dont-like-us" posts together so 1) it's easy to wade through and ignore and 2) it saves on bandwidth. Good luck and carry on fellas. :)

5-0! :(

I can't believe what I'm seeing... do you not remember just 2 short years ago when Auburn went 13-0 and we had to "deal" with being #2 instead of having a shot at a national championship.. that sucked didn't it.. i'd hate to be held out of another one because we settled for less than impressive wins.

I "dealt" with Auburn going undefeated...it was tough but I managed.

We play in a broken system. That's fact. So why bitch about your own team not impressing these "voters" in a broken system? No thanks. I'm just tired of hearing all the Auburn fans whining about it. That doesn't do good things for our fanbase and there's nothing you can do about it anyway. You might as well accept it and just be happy with an Auburn win...like I said.

5-0!

Well that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.. When Auburn isn't good enough just blame the system we play in. Granted, the system sucks.. but you know what.. i refuse to accept that we're not good enough to win a national championship in this system. So when we don't play or coach up to our potential... yeah i get a little pissed off.

Well, why don't you go tell CTT that, because he has been quoted as saying exactly that. But, what the heck does he know.

uhhhh.. how many trophies does he have

By all means, you guys just get together and pool all the whiney, bitchy, "voters-dont-like-us" posts together so 1) it's easy to wade through and ignore and 2) it saves on bandwidth. Good luck and carry on fellas. :)

If you see the need to attack other posters, by all means go ahead. I try to keep things clean and respect all fans, regardless of where they stand when it comes to style points. I believe we need to score more style points, because, IMO, that's truly the only way we will get in to the NCG. Sure, it's not a pretty thing to do, and sure, this is not a perfect system, but other teams have done it, why can't we?

If you see the need to attack other posters, by all means go ahead. I try to keep things clean and respect all fans, regardless of where they stand when it comes to style points. I believe we need to score more style points, because, IMO, that's truly the only way we will get in to the NCG. Sure, it's not a pretty thing to do, and sure, this is not a perfect system, but other teams have done it, why can't we?

Amen brother.. my thoughts exactly

Wow, why don't you just make another negative comment about our head coach while you are at it. Again, another comment that sounds just like something a bammer would say. And you guys wonder why I made the statement about that?

Geez, you guys want to whine about the freakin' polls and how they don't respect us. But you go on here and make critical comments and expect ESPN to not do the same thing.

From what I saw it wasn't so much a poorly coached defensive game - it was a poorly executed defensive game. One member of our secondary got torched repeatedly on one of their TD drives. We missed so many tackles I lost count and we had a few blown coverages.

Is it the end of the world - nope. We could have really been thrown under the bus by ESPN, but honestly I thought their commentary seemed pretty fair. It's early, we're 5-0 - the future still looks bright to me.

Exactly some of the points I made in another post. When the guys are blowing coverage and missing tackles, it does not matter what scheme you are running. That is why I was getting so mad on those quick to dump on Mushcamp. I would have like to seen more blitzing, but if we are not going to cover their WRs, blitizing isn't going to help, especially as quick as Newton is. It worked a couple of times, but we also got burnt on it a couple of times, so to me, it is hard to say if it would have worked if we did it more.

Everytime we all out blitzed it worked.Hard to say if it would have worked if we did it more...yup when you stop trying something that worked it is hard to say if it would continue to work.

I can't believe what I'm seeing... do you not remember just 2 short years ago when Auburn went 13-0 and we had to "deal" with being #2 instead of having a shot at a national championship.. that sucked didn't it.. i'd hate to be held out of another one because we settled for less than impressive wins.

I "dealt" with Auburn going undefeated...it was tough but I managed.

We play in a broken system. That's fact. So why bitch about your own team not impressing these "voters" in a broken system? No thanks. I'm just tired of hearing all the Auburn fans whining about it. That doesn't do good things for our fanbase and there's nothing you can do about it anyway. You might as well accept it and just be happy with an Auburn win...like I said.

5-0!

Well that's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.. When Auburn isn't good enough just blame the system we play in. Granted, the system sucks.. but you know what.. i refuse to accept that we're not good enough to win a national championship in this system. So when we don't play or coach up to our potential... yeah i get a little pissed off.

You have to look at what the media decides to do with this game. As mentioned in another thread USC might have hit a turning point here and do well in conference play for the rest of the season. Then the media could say what a tough game the Tigers survived in Columbia and champions win those games even when things don't go right . Even if we won this game by 40 and USC continued to struggle then it could be shrugged off as well Auburn should have beat them like that, no big deal.

Wouldn't be the first time. They did it with OU's wins against Texas aTm and OSU in 04. They also took SC's close calls with Cal and UCLA and spun them that way also. Then turned around and took Auburns win over Alabama and used it against us. So they very well could use this against us if they decide they want USC/Ohio State.

Why Auburn can't worry about the polls, those guys are going to have their minds made up (coaches will vote agenda's till the last week when shown or give it off to the SID's and others will go regional with their votes based off highlights off TV).

In 04 noone was jumping OU/USC unless they lost, it was the same last year... do think any team besides USC/Texas was going to get into the Rose?

With the BCS I think its become obvious that less and less depends on what you do on the field and more about perception and money when it comes down to multiple teams in contention.

Unfortunatly we are in a bad boat, cause we aren't the media superstars like Ohio State and SC.

Everytime we all out blitzed it worked.Hard to say if it would have worked if we did it more...yup when you stop trying something that worked it is hard to say if it would continue to work.

But, it did not work everytime. There was twice I know of that we blitzed and Newton outran it for a first down both times. Then again, it did work a few times also. With a QB as mobile as Newton, and he had already showed he can outrun a blitz, it is hard to make that call. Personally, I would have gambled and tried it more, but apparently Mushcamp did not like that gamble.

You make a good point, and it is true that there were some poor tackling in the game, but it seemed to me that everytime we rush 4 we had more success. Yes, Newton did burn us for a few plays when we rushed 4/blitzed, but I am confident to say that everytime we DID rush 3, he burned us, for sure.

I think this game was one of those games you just really had to gamble, and it was nice to see CTT did it with the onside kick, and the 4th and 6, and a few others. The Ol' Ball Coach wasn't shy about gambling too, going on 4th down quite a few times.

Wow, why don't you just make another negative comment about our head coach while you are at it. Again, another comment that sounds just like something a bammer would say. And you guys wonder why I made the statement about that?

Geez, you guys want to whine about the freakin' polls and how they don't respect us. But you go on here and make critical comments and expect ESPN to not do the same thing.

Oh please.. don't start accusing me of being a CTT hater.. I'm quit the contrary.. I love what he's done with the program, he recruits great kids, and he runs a clean program.. however your argument was ask Tubs how to win a Championship, I stated the fact that he has yet to complete that task..

From what I saw it wasn't so much a poorly coached defensive game - it was a poorly executed defensive game. One member of our secondary got torched repeatedly on one of their TD drives. We missed so many tackles I lost count and we had a few blown coverages.

Is it the end of the world - nope. We could have really been thrown under the bus by ESPN, but honestly I thought their commentary seemed pretty fair. It's early, we're 5-0 - the future still looks bright to me.

Exactly some of the points I made in another post. When the guys are blowing coverage and missing tackles, it does not matter what scheme you are running. That is why I was getting so mad on those quick to dump on Mushcamp. I would have like to seen more blitzing, but if we are not going to cover their WRs, blitizing isn't going to help, especially as quick as Newton is. It worked a couple of times, but we also got burnt on it a couple of times, so to me, it is hard to say if it would have worked if we did it more.

Thats very true, but with their WRs all it would take is one play and they were off to the races. With the way our D played tonight it was a "Perfect Storm" in USCs favor. Our pass rush couldn't contain a very mobile (and very accurate) passer, and some of our DBs (no need to call out names) were getting picked apart. I think CWM may have been hindered due to play of the D rather than game plan.

Before anyone judges me for being "Doom and Gloom" I am not. I think we've got a very good D, they just didn't play well tonight. USC played a great game. Their QB made great decisions, and their RBs ran hard. The key to me, is that when the D was struggling the O stepped up. In the LSU game when our O struggled, the D was there. This is a TEAM that is there for each other, and both squads have so much potential. I really wouldn't mind seeeing BOTH squads play well at the same time though ;)

CTT made some great, and very gutsy calls in the 3rd quarter - and IMHO I think the game ball goes to CTT, he won the game tonight!

... however your argument was ask Tubs how to win a Championship, I stated the fact that he has yet to complete that task..

Maybe you slept through the 2004 season? SEC Champs? ring a bell? :no:

Thats very true, but with their WRs all it would take is one play and they were off to the races. With the way our D played tonight it was a "Perfect Storm" in USCs favor. Our pass rush couldn't contain a very mobile (and very accurate) passer, and some of our DBs (no need to call out names) were getting picked apart. I think CWM may have been hindered due to play of the D rather than game plan.

Before anyone judges me for being "Doom and Gloom" I am not. I think we've got a very good D, they just didn't play well tonight. USC played a great game. Their QB made great decisions, and their RBs ran hard. The key to me, is that when the D was struggling the O stepped up. In the LSU game when our O struggled, the D was there. This is a TEAM that is there for each other, and both squads have so much potential. I really wouldn't mind seeeing BOTH squads play well at the same time though ;)

CTT made some great, and very gutsy calls in the 3rd quarter - and IMHO I think the game ball goes to CTT, he won the game tonight!

I'm with you Go. That one play and off to the races with our back-ups in the secondary is why I think Muschamp held back. He didn't want to leave them on islands cause they had already been hit several times.

... however your argument was ask Tubs how to win a Championship, I stated the fact that he has yet to complete that task..

um.. the conversation was about NCs...

I agree, I think the lack of execution by the defense kept CWM from maybe calling some things he would have like too.

You are far from "Doom and Gloom" brother. You are one of the guys that go about it the right way to talk about the problems we had tonight. Like you said, we have a good D, but we jus did not play up to our potential tonight. If not for the leadership of CTT, we may have came out of there with a loss.

um.. the conversation was about NCs...

Err...Damn, maybe I shouldnt have mentioned it.

But, actually, I was intending to poke at ESPN...

Chill guys, we got the win. Lets just pull for Washington State this weekend ;)

WDE!

It was a good game...I personally thought Auburn showed guts sqeaking that one out, every game after all can't be a blow out. Unfortunately, the rest of the nation will probably think about the dropped pass that would have put the #2 ranked team into OT with the team that was almost beat by Wofford. Reguardless, Auburn has a very good team but they looked a little more beatable tonight. This turned out to be another let down game after the big win over LSU. Will it continue next week? We'll see....

Err...Damn, maybe I shouldnt have mentioned it.

But, actually, I was intending to poke at ESPN...

Chill guys, we got the win. Lets just pull for Washington State this weekend ;)

WDE!

Not your fault that some on the board tonight can't accept an Auburn win without "anything less then perfection". And then question the head coach's comments and knowledge of the team by asking how many MNC trophies he has, thinking he is proving some sort of point.

Well bottom line is:

1. Yes, there is a long way left in this season, but the ultimate goal is to win a NC.

2. The only way to do that in today's game is to win with style.

3. Tubs hasn't got that done yet.. so maybe he needs to try something new.

4. If he doesn't do that, expect a few more "People's National Championships"in the next few years, instead of crystal balls in the trophy case...

Folks.................we are sounding like the UAters up the road. Let's kill it and start looking towards next weekend. War Eagle!

Go Tigers!

Archived