First Decommit - Dequan Bembry

metafour

Pretty much out of nowhere...but appearently Bembry is now decommited. He is no longer listed on the Rivals commit list. According to austudent22 from the Scout board: we began to back off when he looked suspect in camp and measured in smaller than what we were lead to believe.

We withdrew his offer...

Rivals mods do not think it was because of a lack of performance...They suspect it is to free up a scholarship for other players they think will commit later down the road.

Speculations include...Eric Berry (5* from ATL)...or the ability to take both ED and CK...

We will see later how this scholly actually will be used

Decommit or not, this is why I don't get into all the "commitment" hype until they sign their name to that letter of intent.

Speculations include...Eric Berry (5* from ATL)...or the ability to take both ED and CK...

I dont think either is too likely...

Berry has too many UT/UGA ties, and even after that we're behind a couple other schools (OSU?) I believe.

We flatout wont take both Davis and King, its an unecessary need...the extra scholarship opened up by the Bembry withdrawl would be better used on other positional needs. Furthermore, I seriously doubt that King or Davis want to BOTH come here with Lester, Tate, and even Fannin vying for time at RB.

This "way too early" commitment process is way out of hand. I hope the NCAA restricts making any offer until a certain date. The current situation is not fair to anyone.

If AU withdrew it's offer, on the surface it appears unfair to the player, but he is better off that we back off now rather than much later. He will now be put on other team boards.

I feel bad that we may have withdrawn an offer after it was accepted, but everyone will be doing this. Some player don't develop until their senior year; injuries to current players change a team's needs; etc.

If we had the rule I suggest, Bammer would cheat - so what have you accomplished? I guess we just continue on.

Thank you Mr. Bembry for considering Auburn your school of choice. I wish you the best.

Interesting stuff. If indeed Auburn did withdraw the offer, and there were not extenuating circumstances (like he got in trouble or something), then I find that very disappointing.

I agree that it is better to do it now than later, so Bembry can try to get offers to other places, but I feel like if the coaches make a pledge to a kid that he will get a scholarship, that pledge should be honored. If the recruit is a marginal talent and the school is not sure if it will want him, then don't make the offer to start with.

Hopefully Bembry can land himself somewhere good...

Archived