New Arena Approved

Proud Tiger

In a seperate thread here, 81% said Auburn should build a new up to date basketball arena. I guess that was good timing since on Friday the BOTs approved a new facility estimated to cost about $90 million. The goal is to select an architect by next January and start construction in 2007. One official said "this is something we've got to do. If we don't do it, we are writing off the basketball program. I think that would be a huge mistake." I assume most here would agree with that.

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i....xml&coll=1

That's good to hear. I'm curious where it will go and what they will do with the old one once the new one is finished.

Jacobs said BEMC will be torn down when the new arena is finished. Preliminary indications are the new area will be across Donahue from the baseball park or across Donahue from the football stadium.

Got a link? 20 million is not enough to build one.

You are right. My typo. it should be $90M. I corrected it and added link.

It is about time! It is kind of bittersweet to me as I was in the HHP dept. I suppose they are going to either move the HHP dept to the new building or build a separate facility? People seem to forget that there are also classes held in BEMC.

I really think this is the best for Auburn. I don't think that building a new facility will suddenly make us a sweet sixteen team, but I hope it does improve attendance at games, and more importantly, attract top-level athletes who will help us win games...we all know that a better win-loss record is what will improve attendance.

Man, I gotta get back to campus soon--there have been a lot of changes lately. How far along is the massive new engineering/transportation center next to the Business Building?

That's good to hear. I'm curious where it will go and what they will do with the old one once the new one is finished.

Jacobs said BEMC will be torn down when the new arena is finished. Preliminary indications are the new area will be across Donahue from the baseball park Where Beard Eves is now?or across Donahue from the football stadium.The C-zone parking lot? When there's already tons of controversy about lack of parking spaces as it is?

Jacobs said BEMC will be torn down when the new arena is finished. Preliminary indications are the new area will be across Donahue from the baseball park Where Beard Eves is now?or across Donahue from the football stadium.The C-zone parking lot? When there's already tons of controversy about lack of parking spaces as it is?

hopefully a parking deck will be part of the plan

From what I have heard, they will build the new arena right next to the old one. When the new arena is completed they will thye tear down the old one. My guess is that where the current one is now will be turned into a prking lot, hopefully and parking deck to satisfy some parking issues.

We will need something, that's for sure. Parking and traffic is bad enough as it is.

with as long as it will take to build, that will also take away precious RV tailgating spots for the 07/08 football seasons! Oh well, I'm sure they'll manage. From what I hear the new parking deck is never even close to full, so maybe theyll open that up to more people.

The engineering/transportation facility is looking pretty good. Just walking down past haley and looking at it is pretty cool and its not even close to finished. I think its gonna be one of the best looking buildings on campus. Speaking of... i really hope they get it right with the new basketball facility, the current one is pretty fugly inside and out. I'm happy to hear that they'll be building a brand new facility.

I'd also like to see Parker get replace, probably not until after the new student union is finished. But that is probably the ugliest building on campus and its right there in the middle of everything. And with the new science facility there it makes the juxtaposition even worse(although it makes the science facility that much nicer looking.)

Parker isn't that bad. Try the shop buildings and Dunstan.

Man.... wtf are we going to do for parking? It's a nightmare as-is.

Thanks for the update on the transportation building. Judging from the paitings of what it will look like I think you are right that it will be one of the nicest looking on campus.

I'll be down over Thanksgiving. I can't wait to check out the changes (been over a year since I have been on campus).

Parker is terrible looking. Another bad one is Biggin, and it is even worse since it is right there at Toomer's Corner near Samford where everyone sees it.

Anyone know what they are going to do w/ Foy once the new student union is completed?

Thanks for the update on the transportation building. Judging from the paitings of what it will look like I think you are right that it will be one of the nicest looking on campus.

I'll be down over Thanksgiving. I can't wait to check out the changes (been over a year since I have been on campus).

Parker is terrible looking. Another bad one is Biggin, and it is even worse since it is right there at Toomer's Corner near Samford where everyone sees it.

Anyone know what they are going to do w/ Foy once the new student union is completed?

It will be used in the short term for overflow classroom space. I guess they will subdivide some of the larger spaces into classrooms, meeting rooms, and auditoriums. They have not made any long term plans for the building.

In a seperate thread here, 81% said Auburn should build a new up to date basketball arena. I guess that was good timing since on Friday the BOTs approved a new facility estimated to cost about $90 million. The goal is to select an architect by next January and start construction in 2007. One official said "this is something we've got to do. If we don't do it, we are writing off the basketball program. I think that would be a huge mistake." I assume most here would agree with that.

If it will only seat 8-9K, why bother?

That's like saying, well, we know we have 23K students, but only 5000 of them might show up.

If you build it, they will come.

That's like saying, well, we know we have 23K students, but only 5000 of them might show up.

I dont know if you have heard of a little facility known as Cameron Indoor Stadium? Only seats 9,300. It is home to Duke which just happens to be one of the most celebrated programs in college basketball. You dont have to have a monster arena to attract fans, recruits, etc. Personally I think the smaller arena is a great idea. Even when Auburn is good at bball we struggle to sell out BEMC. Why build another 10-14k arena that you cant fill even in youre best seasons? Would you rather have 9k in an arena that seats 9k or 9k in an arena that seats 12k? The games will be alot more exciting when the arena feels full.

This is the best news I have heard about the university in a while. The basketball program deserves it. I seem to remember many upgrades for Jordan-Hare over the years when we weren't so great in football. To all the people who question the decision to build a new arena need to remember that basketball is also an intrical part of Auburn University and it too can be great provided we get serious about it.

I dont know if you have heard of a little facility known as Cameron Indoor Stadium? Only seats 9,300. It is home to Duke which just happens to be one of the most celebrated programs in college basketball. You dont have to have a monster arena to attract fans, recruits, etc. Personally I think the smaller arena is a great idea. Even when Auburn is good at bball we struggle to sell out BEMC. Why build another 10-14k arena that you cant fill even in youre best seasons? Would you rather have 9k in an arena that seats 9k or 9k in an arena that seats 12k? The games will be alot more exciting when the arena feels full.

agreed, either Virginia or Virginia Tech was an arena that Auburn was most impressed with I think

It was probably Virginia. They just built an absolutely beautiful new facility (the John Paul Jones arena). I think the final price tag was about $130 million, so I don't expect Auburn's to be in the same league. The JPJ is pretty big too. I think it holds about 15,000. It is set up well not only for basketball, but also for concerts. I saw Eric Clapton there last week and it sounded great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_Arena

Speaking of new construction on campus, have they started building the new student union?

yes foundation work is well underway, it's going to be an impressive building

It was probably Virginia. They just built an absolutely beautiful new facility (the John Paul Jones arena). I think the final price tag was about $130 million, so I don't expect Auburn's to be in the same league. The JPJ is pretty big too. I think it holds about 15,000. It is set up well not only for basketball, but also for concerts. I saw Eric Clapton there last week and it sounded great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_Arena

JPJ is freaking awesome... I saw Dave Matthews Band there during the arena's grand opening... it was something else. I left there hoping that AU would do something like that.

I am glad I will be close to out of here when the parking becomes so bad... it's already a nightmare if you live off campus.

I would kind of like to see Auburn still have a big seating capacity... reason being.. graduation will have to reduce the amuont of people each family is allowed to have there, and i would like to also see us attract some bigger name concerts and events. i think that would be great for auburn and the student body.

I guess I don't get it. Some of you say 15,000 capacity is too big and some say 9,000 is too small. What is the magic number that makes everyone happy (if that's possible).

Archived