12 NCs? The real story!

ATLauburnfan

This is great, someone oviously decided to take a stand..

I just wanted to clear up a few misconceptions about Alabama's claim to 12 national championships based on fact rather than bias. Credit is given where credit is due.

To clear up confusion, the word retroactive means they went back in time to award the championship.

'TWELVE' national championships is fraudulent, nothing but pure bunk ginned up by the SID Department. Here's a rundown:

1925 National Championship- Alabama claims they share this one with Dartmouth. Who awarded the NC? Houlgate and Helms. Houlgate started his system in 1927. So Bama won their 1925 NC using a formula that didn't exist until 1927? Helms Athletic Foundation started in 1941. Another incredible retroactive NC.

The Associated Press Poll has been active since 1936. The AP took their final poll prior to bowl games from 1936 - 1964 and in 1966 and 1967. They took their final poll after the bowl games in 1965 and from 1968 - Current.

1926 National Championship- Alabama claims they share this one with 3 other teams with equal or better records! Once again it is the Helms Athletic Foundation in 1941 that awards it!

1930 National Championship- The Davis poll says that Bama tied Notre Dame for NC this year. This was the only one to award it to Bama. Notre Dame was named NC in 6 polls! Parke Davis is another retroactive system! He (an individual, not an organization) did his in 1933!

1934 National Championship- Alabama says they share this with two other teams. The awarders are Dunkel, Williamson, and Football Thesaurus. Dunkel was an individual who came up with his own system. Williamson was a geologist who came up with his own system. Football Thesaurus first appeared in 1946!

1941 National Championship- This is a complete joke. The AP ranked Alabama 20th in the nation with 14 teams with better records in the top 20. Once again it is the Football Thesaurus that retroactively awards it. Alabama finished 3rd in the SEC that year. Mississippi State won the SEC title..yet Bama claims a National title!

1961 National Championship- Finally a legitimate NC. .

1964 National Championship- While the AP did award the NC to Bama (10-1-0), Arkansas had the better record, 11-0. Alabama played Texas in their bowl and LOST. The AP final poll was before the bowl.

1965 National Championship- The AP gave this to Bama. That year there were three teams with better records than Bama. Bama 9-1-1, Michigan St 10-1-0, Arkansas 10-1-0, Nebraska 10-1-0.

1973 National Championship- AP puts Bama 4th after their bowl game loss. Bama claims a NC from the UPI poll that was taken before they met Notre Dame in the bowl game and lost. There were 3 teams with better records than Bama that year. The embarrassment of naming Alabama number one caused the UPI to name champions after bowl games. Yet Bammer has no shame in claiming it of course.

1978 National Championship- AP gives this to Alabama(11-1-0) even though USC (12-1-0) had the better record Guess who Alabama lost to that year? USC!!!!!!!!!. UPI gave the NC to USC.

1979 National Championship- Their second legitimate NC. Their first Unanimous NC.

1992 National Championship- Their third legitimate NC. Their second Unanimous NC.

You can see why people ridicule Bama fans when they talk about 12 NCs. The early ones were awarded by individuals years after the games were played. These weren't consensus polls but NCs awarded by people that had their own formula for determining champions. Some NCs were given before bowl games that Bama lost. Using Alabama logic, Auburn could claim four national championships. But when Bammers brag they like to say they have twelve and Auburn has one. How silly. The NCAA recognizes 6 NCs for Bama and there are only two NCs that Bama has unanimously. You can't find an Auburn site claiming four national championships but there are plenty Bama sites claiming twelve.

Debunking the Alabama National Championship myths.

At the same time, Auburn could claim at 5 national titles using the Bammer methods.

1913- Auburn went 8-0 and claimed the NC in the Billingsley Poll.

1957-AP national Champions.

1983-Auburn went 11-1, played the nation's toughest schedule, and won the national title in The New York Times, Sagarin, Billingsley, Rothman and College Football Researchers Association

1993-Auburn went 11-0 and won the national title by the National Championship Foundation .

2004- Auburn became only the second team in SEC history to go 13-0. Auburn even beat SEC East champion Tennessee twice. Auburn was awarded the national title by the first People's National Championship Poll, Golf Digest, and The Eufaula Times.

AUBURN only claims the 1957 national title. HOWEVER..IF Alabama can claim some of the ones that they claim, we have ever right to claim the ones above.

Bama...legends in their own minds!

Some claim that we've been "handed" more NCs... yet, we've also been screwed out of a couple as well. It all works out.

The titles we claim have indeed been awarded to us. None of it's come from the rigged website of a 17 year old, a golf magazine, or a small, southeast Alabama newspaper, either.

This is an argument you A) shouldn't be in and B) stand no chance of winning. You guys like to say that we have 6 national titles. . . your so called "legit" 6 is much higher than what you have. Plus, our #1 spot in SEC championships, #1 spot nationally in all-time bowl appearances/wins, and all-time winning % is so much higher it doesn't make very good sense to pick an argument on your part.

Celebrate your winning streak in the series and upcoming NYD bowl game all you want. You have every right to do so. But, don't start the whole "Bama doesn't have 12" argument when, no matter what we have, it is significantly higher than you. That's the equivalent of us making fun of AU when you got left out in '04. Well... you beat us and went 13-0. Same situation here. Neither side has any room to talk IMO.

The titles we claim have indeed been awarded to us. None of it's come from the rigged website of a 17 year old, a golf magazine, or a small, southeast Alabama newspaper, either.

wc, you're right. About half of Bama's titles came from less reputable sources than those. I'm glad you're on board with this.

wc, you're right. About half of Bama's titles came from less reputable sources than those. I'm glad you're on board with this.

A less reputable source than the "People's National Champion?" I remember that OU actually received the most votes, but the AU :homer: that owned the site went in and well, voted a "couple of times" to push his team over the top.

I don't ever bring up the PNC trophy, the hayride, or the Eufaula Tribune... Because you beat us head-to-head that year. While I certainly don't think '04 is a legit national championship year, I do think AU got the shafttttt pretty bad. They're not the first, though.

As far as keeping up with NCs and you guys disputing how many we have. It's fine with me if, in your mind, you only think we have 2. That'd be double what you have. It's a pathetic argument on your part and is the exact same thing as the "we won the most quarters" BS.

This is great, someone oviously decided to take a stand..

OLD article written by a UT fan and has been posted here almost every month..

Try to understand alot of the ranking systems such as the AP wasn't around until 1936, that's well after the 1925, 1926, 1930 and 1934 football squads. Championships were taken from other polls and that's who decided the final rankings. Unfortuantely, since there were more than one poll it meant that there were sometimes more than one champion. Incidently, the Helms and the Houlgate rankings started in the 1800s not 1941 or 1927.... http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/natio...s_selectors.php

Some final rankings did occur before bowl games (like the UPI) and many teams, including us were dubbed national champions before the actual bowl game. Most of those same schools inspite of losing their final bowl games claim national championships. Take the 1970 Texas football team for example. http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/ind...hange_well_id=2 Eerie, how similar they are to the 1973 team, both losing to ND and both claiming NC. The nerve of some schools!!!

Next let us please talk about the NCs that au doesn''t claim :rolleyes: Skipping a bit, this thread usually goes on to "retroactive championships" to the 1941 bammer nc, the 2004 people champs, 1984's greatest team ever, Bear's joke on a laundry mat championship and then on to the 1966 "missing ring" at bammer.. I hope I have saved time for everyone.

Only thing new to add is the ncaa's new website http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history. It lists retroactive championships and doesn't include the 1941 championship so I hope we all can live in peace and harmony. :P

Guys why does this always come up?? We know for a fact that UAT claims multiple FAKE titles... IT's what they do... MOST of the titles they claim are SHARED with at least one other school....but they only give us credit for HALF of one....Uat fans will never change. Move on.

A less reputable source than the "People's National Champion?" I remember that OU actually received the most votes, but the AU :homer: that owned the site went in and well, voted a "couple of times" to push his team over the top.

See response #1

I don't ever bring up the PNC trophy, the hayride, or the Eufaula Tribune... Because you beat us head-to-head that year. While I certainly don't think '04 is a legit national championship year, I do think AU got the shafttttt pretty bad. They're not the first, though.

See response #2

As far as keeping up with NCs and you guys disputing how many we have. It's fine with me if, in your mind, you only think we have 2. That'd be double what you have. It's a pathetic argument on your part and is the exact same thing as the "we won the most quarters" BS.

See response #3

1. You remember incorrectly. In fact, your "memory" is nothing but the rantings of a fraudulent email that was distributed by a group of frightened Alabama fans consumed by jealousy and hatred.

2. If a Laundromat in Tuscaloosa.....

3. When you stop lying about 12, we'll stop making fun of you. Ole Miss recently started lying about 3. It won't be long before they catch you in bogus titles. :ua: = :om:

Bama's motto should be "Claim all you want. We'll claim more!"

"If a Laundromat in Tuscaloosa wants to pick Alabama No. 1, we'll claim it." -- Paul W. Bryant

Past Football National Champions

Auburn University - National Champions 1913, 1957, 1983, 1993, 2004

Even if you take the 2004 MNC away, the AP still lists us at 4. But who's counting. We are too busy trying to win games to live in the past.

See response #1

See response #2

See response #3

1. You remember incorrectly. In fact, your "memory" is nothing but the rantings of a fraudulent email that was distributed by a group of frightened Alabama fans consumed by jealousy and hatred.

2. If a Laundromat in Tuscaloosa.....

3. When you stop lying about 12, we'll stop making fun of you. Ole Miss recently started lying about 3. It won't be long before they catch you in bogus titles. :ua: = :om:

1. If the e-mail is fraudulent (about the vote rigging), then I apologize. That still doesn't change the hilarious fact that some of your fans want to claim a national championship off the website of a high school student. That's pathetic.

2. Big difference here. The Eufaula Tribune (circulates, what, 8k copies?) and Golf Digest magazine are much different than the Sagarin Ratings or College Football Researchers Assoc.

3. Why bring Ole Miss up? You should know it's never beneficial to your side to mention that name. Maybe you guys can break the tie between OM and AU in SEC titles someday? And also stretch that lead on Georgia Tech out to two! Yeah, baby!

I say let them count that they have 12 NC. They sure don't have anything else - except maybe arrogance.

Nothing else = #1 in nation in all-time bowl appearances and wins, #4th best all-time winning percentage, the most SEC championships - 21, 780 wins... Yeah, nothing else.

I say let them count that they have 12 NC. They sure don't have anything else - except maybe arrogance.

Nothing else = #1 in nation in all-time bowl appearances and wins, #4th best all-time winning percentage, the most SEC championships - 21, 780 wins... Yeah, nothing else.

Like I said.........

you forgot MOST BOWL LOSSES....

That and $149,999 still won't buy you a Defensive Lineman.

First of all, your statement is incorrect. Nebraska's lost more. Link: http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_i...owl_history.php

Also, sir, we've lost more bowl games than you've won. I'd rather go to a bowl and lose, than stay at home with grandma in Lee County.

You're hilarious.

First of all, your statement is incorrect. Nebraska's lost more. Link: http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_i...owl_history.php

Also, sir, we've lost more bowl games than you've won. I'd rather go to a bowl and lose, than stay at home with grandma in Lee County.

You're hilarious.

you got me on point #1....but next week uat will likely even that up, until we play nebraska on JANUARY 1...then nevraska takes the lead again, until next year, when uat drops yet another bowl game.... :)

you are the one thats hilarious....bragging about losing more games than we've won. I knew things were different in tuscaLOSER these days, but to actually brag about LOSING MORE... That's a new one....and doesn't fit the typical arrogance of the bammers... you get points for that one...

running joke is why did bryant eat his cherrios off of a plate?? because if he put them in a bowl he'd lose them...

This post has caused some of the most side splitting laughter I have experienced in quite some time. A "certain" west vance poster is MIA during the weeks of the WV "Coaching" hire fiasco...THEN.....suddenly reappears, as if by magic, when uat's bogus lying legends are questioned.

The word typical applies yet, somehow, just doesn't quite explain all that the unwashed masses are capable of lying to themselves about and believing that same tall tale.

Humor on a grand scale.

Please, continue. Right now, I need all the laughter I can get!

WDE ! ! !

Tim

p.s. You can actually FEEL the pain of the thumb in every typed word.

You're hilarious.

you got me on point #1....but next week uat will likely even that up, until we play nebraska on JANUARY 1...then nevraska takes the lead again, until next year, when uat drops yet another bowl game.... :)

you are the one thats hilarious....bragging about losing more games than we've won. I knew things were different in tuscaLOSER these days, but to actually brag about LOSING MORE... That's a new one....and doesn't fit the typical arrogance of the bammers... you get points for that one...

running joke is why did bryant eat his cherrios off of a plate?? because if he put them in a bowl he'd lose them...

Yo p'cola, log off and save face. Do the right thing.

:ua: bowl winning percentage: 57%

:au: bowl winning percentage: 53%

You're hilarious.

I say to let him win. SPUAT doesn't get much chance to do that.

You're hilarious.

:lol: You bammers are hilarious....and delusional. First you brag about going to more bowl games, then you BRAG about LOSING more than we've won, then you pull up winning percentages that are only 4 percentage points different. BUT, since uat is supposed to be far superior in YOUR minds, why is it they've only won 57% of their bowls?? Since uat has been to more bowl games than auburn has, I would expect their winning percentage to be higher... Must really suck to be a uat fan and know that with all their bowl appearances you constantly brag about, and knowing they've only won a 57% of them....

You're hilarious.

:lol: You bammers are hilarious....and delusional. First you brag about going to more bowl games, then you BRAG about LOSING more than we've won, then you pull up winning percentages that are only 4 percentage points different. BUT, since uat is supposed to be far superior in YOUR minds, why is it they've only won 57% of their bowls?? Since uat has been to more bowl games than auburn has, I would expect their winning percentage to be higher... Must really suck to be a uat fan and know that with all their bowl appearances you constantly brag about, and knowing they've only won a 57% of them....

Me "bragging" about losing more than AU has even played in is really a sad stat for you. You just fail to realize and/or accept it. To lose, you have to actually play the game. You didn't even get the chance to lose!

Where would you rather be? In the Sugar Bowl playing a Penn State or Ohio State. . . or gearing up for the big Blue-Gray showdown in Montgomery? You've done the latter for 6 straight years before.

As far as our superior 57% stat - No team has consistently dominated bowl games. Just listing off some all-time greats... Tennessee is 24-21, Nebraska is 22-21, Texas is 22-21 (yet another team that debunks your previous statement), and neither Michigan, Ohio State, or Notre Dame have winning bowl records.

So yeah, it does suck to know that you've been to more bowl games than anyone else, won more bowl games than anyone else, and that you have a higher winning percentage in those games than nearly everyone else in the nation. "Suck" doesn't even begin to describe it. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

I got to admit that Alabama does in fact have a good history.

Even before the Bear, their history is pretty solid

After the Bear, it is pretty bad except for the Stallings years.

Archived