Tune into tonight...

WinCrimson

Gottfried tried his hardest to blow a 23 point 2nd half lead... but thank God he failed. Bama wins 82-75 in Raleigh.

Yeah it was CMGs fault that they fouled Jamareo out with 5 mins left and steele went down with leg cramps...whatever. You whine too much.

They hit a turn around fade away 3 from 8 feet behind the 3 point line and its CMGs fault.

Wryn sees it.

Jamareo fouled himself out and we should have a second ballhandler. Hollinger may be a nice guy, but he looks like he's trying to dribble while wearing skates. Signing him was a bad decision IMO. He passed up a guy that is TEARING UP D-II (see: 25 points at Ole Miss in an exhibition game and 43 the other night) and would be an awesome addition to Steele. Without Ron, the low post play of JDav and Hendrix is useless.

We'lll be hamstrung by CMG's high post "offense" again this season.

Actually, CMG switched recently to the high post from the flex. This year, more than any others in the past, our offense actually runs plays instead of just playing street ball. And we are around 80 points per game. Scoring more than we EVER have under CMG.

Hollinger didnt get signed. He walked on. When you get the 6A player of the year to walk on you take him. He is shooting near 50% from thee point for his career, he's only a soph...and handles the press really really well. Hes not out there to light up the scoreboard. He plays great defense, and subs well for Ron when we need a ball handler.

Sure Davidson takes a few too many shots from near the 3 point line...but he NAILS most of his jumpers from the elbow. And you can bitch about him all you want, he's still a first round to early second round pick in the draft.

Without Ron, the low post play of JDav and Hendrix is useless.

Yeah...see Davidson and Hendrix as our leading scorers in all the games where Ron was out this year.

Guest Tigrinum Major

How is Tubbs from Hewitt Trussville doing this year in games that matter? I see his name in the News in the blowout wins where he scores 13 points on 89% shooting, but don't follow your program enough to know how he does in all the games. Does he get much playing time?

Also, whatever happened to Justin Jonas? Where did he end up?

How is Tubbs from Hewitt Trussville doing this year in games that matter? I see his name in the News in the blowout wins where he scores 13 points on 89% shooting, but don't follow your program enough to know how he does in all the games. Does he get much playing time?

Also, whatever happened to Justin Jonas? Where did he end up?

Justin Jonas quit the team because he wasnt getting to start over Alonzo Gee (see future NBA star). Jonas said CMG not playing him was hurting his potential NBA career. He dropped out of school and played in a YMCA league for a year, and now is riding the bench at Troy.

Tubbs is still very new. He gets minutes, and played some last night. Hes got a sweet stroke and hit 5 or 6 threes in a row during one stretch this season. But he's going to take a year or so to get up to speed on his defense. I expect him to be a large contributor down the road.

Guest Tigrinum Major

For some dumb reason, I was thinking Jonas headed to Birmingham Southern, but wasn't sure because of the direction of their program.

Tubbs has surprised me as a contributor at this point. I figured he would redshirt after watching him in high school the past couple years. He's a good shooter, but seemed to go cold for long stretches at times. Longer than normal for a good shooter.

Actually, CMG switched recently to the high post from the flex. This year, more than any others in the past, our offense actually runs plays instead of just playing street ball. And we are around 80 points per game. Scoring more than we EVER have under CMG.

Hollinger didnt get signed. He walked on. When you get the 6A player of the year to walk on you take him. He is shooting near 50% from thee point for his career, he's only a soph...and handles the press really really well. Hes not out there to light up the scoreboard. He plays great defense, and subs well for Ron when we need a ball handler.

Sure Davidson takes a few too many shots from near the 3 point line...but he NAILS most of his jumpers from the elbow. And you can bitch about him all you want, he's still a first round to early second round pick in the draft.

Without Ron, the low post play of JDav and Hendrix is useless.

Yeah...see Davidson and Hendrix as our leading scorers in all the games where Ron was out this year.

I have noticed that our offense is less centered around 1 on 1 play. That's a great thing. However, should it have really taken him 8 years to see it?

The 6A POTY award means nothing. You take the kid with the best SKILLS to help you WIN games. I've seen Gottfried and Pearson snub what would have been one of the best guards in the SEC. The guy I'm referring to played with Freddie Roach in high school and led his team to 2 straight titles. He was snubbed by every SEC school and wound up at Wallace St (Juco) in Hanceville. All he did there was place in the Top 10 in all of D-I JUCO scoring, assists, 3 point %, and FT %. Did Alabama, Ole Miss, Auburn, etc look at him then? Nope. They were too damn stubborn. And while Bama did have the excuse of saying "We have Ron Steele", OM and AU had nothing and all. Those basketball powers Ole Miss and AU... they've really been tearing up the SEC the past couple of years.

The walk-on deal... to have even a chance at UA, you have to be a "invited walk-on." Was this guy even extended an invitation? No. He would have had a good of a chance of getting on with them as we would. So that's why I get frustrated. Although Hollinger is certainly not an SEC caliber player, my rants are not so much against him as they are Gottfried & Co.

Davidson and Hendrix leading when Ron sits is due to competition. Ron's played in all of the meaningful games. In the creampuff games, the post men are going to be 6-6 while in the SEC they can be 6-9 or 6-10. Hendrix and Davidson will find it much tougher to score against a Glen Davis or Joakim Noah if Ronald goes down in league play.

With that said, know that I'm cool w/ your opinion BG. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Don't take it personal and RTR.

The walk-on deal... to have even a chance at UA, you have to be a "invited walk-on." Was this guy even extended an invitation? No. He would have had a good of a chance of getting on with them as we would. So that's why I get frustrated. Although Hollinger is certainly not an SEC caliber player, my rants are not so much against him as they are Gottfried & Co.

This is incorrect. The walk on tryouts are very tough to get into, but you dont have to be "invited". I didnt get "invited" but found my way into walkon tryouts and an opportunity to join in summer workouts...but thats a different story.

I played ball with 3 guys who walked on at Bama that worked their butts off and went through walk on tryouts...they didnt get extended an invite.

Bottom line, CMG is 10-1 and hands down the best Basketball coach Bama has ever thought about having.

We put up plenty of points, we just struggle when Ron is out of the game or not playing 100%. There's only 5 people on the floor, if you lose your best, you are going to feel it.

By me saying "to even have a chance"... I meaning, wanting more PT than Kyle Sellers. I'm saying be a serious contributor. It would be extremely hard to get a coach to give you the time of day when you show up with the regular students wanting to "just make the team." The kid I'm referring to would/should be starting for us right now.

I do agree w/ you about CMG improving this season. I try to not look at things strictly from a W-L standpoint and I will say that we look much more polished this season. He's a great recruiter... He was a great recruiter at Murry St and even the brass at Murry admits that he wasn't a great coach. Great recruiter? Absolutely. Coach? Not so much. Wimp was much better IMO.

Remember "13-2 in his last 15! 13-2!" ... Records don't always make the final say.

Wimp had a ton of talent and couldnt make us a power year in and year out.

Alabama is a top 10-15 program just about every year. Even in down talent years we have been a lock to make the tourney.

Wimp couldnt say that.

can yall please go somewhere else to argue about Alabama's mediocre coaches?

No.

And while CMG isn't the best coach in the world, he is the coach of the #8 team in America right now.

No.

And while CMG isn't the best coach in the world, he is the coach of the #8 team in America right now.

granted but hes still mediocre. Seems to be a really good recruiter but hasnt done much with the players.

No.

granted but hes still mediocre. Seems to be a really good recruiter but hasnt done much with the players.

His teams have won.

5 straight NCAA tournament appearances, SEC west titles, an SEC title, currently ranked in the Top 10, 7 straight victories over you... We've done alright.

No.

His teams have won.

5 straight NCAA tournament appearances, SEC west titles, an SEC title, currently ranked in the Top 10, 7 straight victories over you... We've done alright.

I know what hes done. Basketball is all about post season though and he doesnt have have any SEC tourney championships or an overwhelming amount of NCAA tournament success. Beating Auburn the past few seasons has been about like beating me in a beauty contest: its not saying much. Im not saying hes a bad coach. Id take him any day over that loser in Baton Rouge. He just needs a few more big post season wins for anyone to really worry about how he stacks up against coaches all time.

Archived