Limbaugh just doesn't get it

Tiger Al

Link

So, using his logic:

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."
If he were to say that he didn't think enough Jews were killed by the Nazi's, the ensueing firestorm would be proof-positive that he must be right. What a simpleton.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Link

So, using his logic:

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."
If he were to say that he didn't think enough Jews were killed by the Nazi's, the ensueing firestorm would be proof-positive that he must be right. What a simpleton.

Once again, say something about the black man that isn't PC and you and yours run around like chicken little. Maybe just maybe he has a point. The media have been looking for a minority darling in the prime position of the NFL for a while. Now while I may not agree that Dnabb is not good, RL may have a small point. But its not as blatently ignorant as you make it to be. If this had been said about a QB of an other descent, no one would say a thing.

I think Rush is within his rights to say McNabb isn't that good, if that's what he really thinks. He is also within his rights to say that he believes the reason that McNabb gets the accolades that he does is because the media wants to promote a black QB.

Now, I happen to think he's wrong. I don't think that's why McNabb has gotten the praise he's gotten. But just because he's wrong doesn't mean he's racist. This is a tempest in a teapot.

Libs are the only ones that can use race in an argument and not be called racist. I am sure this has NOTHING to do with the fact that Rush is white AND the biggest conservative in the US and that the Dems fear him and hate his guts.

Now dimbulb Wesley Clark has weighed in, calling Rush's remarks "hateful and ignorant speech". Hateful? Ignorant maybe, but "hateful"? What a rube.

He stated an opinion folks. He doesn't think McNabb is that great and that Philly's defense carries the team. He went further to say that he think some of the reason McNabb gets some of the praise he gets is because some in the media want to see a black QB do well. I'm sorry, that's not racist. It's just (IMO) a wrong assessment of the situation.

He didn't say all black QBs get praise for this reason. I didn't hear him bringing up Steve McNair for instance. He just stated an opinion on one guy. Get over it.

Or Michael Vick or Byron Leftwich... Personally I also agree McNabb is overrated, but I guess I never really considered working his race into that thought.

The PC crowd strikes again!!! Rush said nothing racist, but gave his opinion on the performance of highly paid NFL quarterback. If he would have said that McNabb is not a good quarterback because he is black, then that would be racist. Thing is, he is right. PC is the most hypocritical thing there has ever been contrived by man. To not be PC means that you disagree with the PC police, a group of "intellictuals" I suppose. They are the same ones that scream "free speech", but yet condemn your free speech and opinion if it does not go along with their beliefs. Rush gave an opinion about an NFL quarterbacks performance for crying out loud. Where in his comment did anybody hear a stereotype racist remark? Please tell me. Heard something good on Finebaum about that today. The PC police never said a thing about the title of the movie "White Men Can't Jump". Now what do you think would happen if somebody made a movie "Black Man Can't Throw". Surely all of you can see the hypocrisy in at all. Now, that Clark is chiming in on it is ridiculous. He is running for President for crying out loud!!! He needs to focus on more important things then what Rush Limbaugh says on ESPN's NFL Countdown. You know that nobody even paid attention to it until CNN ran the slanted article on it and now Clark has chimed in. Rush is right, in the current climate, if you bash a black player in a leadership role as a QB or coach, then you run the risk of being called racist. That was his point by saying the media has been polishing his performance. With the pressure of hiring more black coaches and having more blacks in leadership roles, anbody that removes a black from such position is seen as doing it for racial reasons. My comeback to that is, if they were racist, then why would they have put that person in the position to begin with. Again, the hypocrisy of it all.

yes . but if McNabb had something BAD happen to him . everyone can say its because he's black . .

sheesh .. liberals .

I'm with Titan on this one...ESPN didn't hire him to be a milquetoast and they knew what they were getting when Limbaugh signed on.

That said, I think he's off base on this one.

I'm with Titan on this one...ESPN didn't hire him to be a milquetoast and they knew what they were getting when Limbaugh signed on.

That said, I think he's off base on this one.

You are right, ESPN hired him for ratings and attention and now they got it. :D If you look at McNabb's stats, they are nothing to put him on the pedestal as a premier QB as the press have done. The Eagles defense carried that team. As far as black QBs go, McNair and Culpepper have alot better numbers then McNabb, yet they have never seemed to got as much publicity. Maybe because they were doing good, so there was no need to polish their stories? Do you think that a white QB that has put up the same numbers as McNabb would have ever been mentioned as one of the top NFL QBs as McNabb has? Rush's point was that McNabb is overrated and overexposed because he is a black QB and you can blame the push for more black QBs as the culprit.

I don't think there's this big "push" in the media for black QBs anymore...20-25 years ago, hell, even 10 years ago, certainly. It was big news when guys like Doug Williams, James Harris and Randall Cunningham were starting QBs. It isn't any big deal any longer and that is a good thing.

Owners and coaches want guys that can win games...period.

The bigger story has moved to the head coaching ranks, witness the Lions getting fined by the NFL for not interviewing enough minority candidates when they hired Steve Mariucci.

The point that seems to be getting lost here is that it isn't that Limbaugh criticized a player who turns out to be black. The people saying 'foul' aren't doing it because he criticized McNabb. Limbaugh inserted the race card himself in a way that was, I think, meant to be inflammatory because that's what he gets paid to be. His statement could more accurately be applied to Doug Williams than to McNabb.

The point that seems to be getting lost here is that it isn't that Limbaugh criticized a player who turns out to be black. The people saying 'foul' aren't doing it because he criticized McNabb. Limbaugh inserted the race card himself in a way that was, I think, meant to be inflammatory because that's what he gets paid to be. His statement could more accurately be applied to Doug Williams than to McNabb.

Question- Why is it not okay for Rush to use race when it comes to performance not equaling the hype, but okay for the PC to use it when it comes to hiring people? Double standard anyone? Again, I ask if I white QB would have been putting of the same mediocre numbers, would he have had all the hype and be paid all the money for commercials? It is almost like we lower the expectations of a black QB in the media for PC sake. I know the coaches don't give a crap about the skin color of their QB because their job is on the line if they do not have a QB that can win. You would think with the likes of QBs like Cunningham, it would not be that way, but I don't think much has changed. I still think there is a push to have more successful black QBs, because Cunnigham and Warren Moon have been the only black QBs to make their mark. Steve McNair is on his way if he can quit getting beat up every year and Culpepper definitely has the potential. And then you have the most exciting QB period in Michael Vick, minus the broken leg. There is a shortage of successful black QBs and the media did try to polish McNabbs stats to "produce" another one. There are plenty of black QBs in the league right now that are far better then McNabb, but for some reason, he got all the publicity up until last year when Vick had a big breakthrough year.

I'm not really concerned about what Rush said about anyone...I basically ignore the dude. From a football standpoint, I think his comments were inaccurate and that's where I take issue with him.

As a general aside, I think the guy is a blowhard. The sooner people figure out that Rush Limbaugh is first and foremost about Rush Limbaugh, the better. Same goes for Jesse Jackson and Al Franken on the other side of the political aisle.

McNabb has gotten off to a poor start, granted. Whether this is an anomaly or a trend remains to be seen. He has made multiple Pro Bowls...his numbers from 2002 were on pace with his previous two pretty good years until he got hurt and missed 6 games.

I'm not really concerned about what Rush said about anyone...I basically ignore the dude. From a football standpoint, I think his comments were inaccurate and that's where I take issue with him.

As a general aside, I think the guy is a blowhard. The sooner people figure out that Rush Limbaugh is first and foremost about Rush Limbaugh, the better. Same goes for Jesse Jackson and Al Franken on the other side of the political aisle.

McNabb has gotten off to a poor start, granted. Whether this is an anomaly or a trend remains to be seen. He has made multiple Pro Bowls...his numbers from 2002 were on pace with his previous two pretty good years until he got hurt and missed 6 games.

I agree in someways. Sometimes Rush does go overboard, but so does some others on the other side of the spectrum. Thing is, he says alot of things that others will not say because they are afraid or the PC police. Whether I agree with you are not, I will at least respect you for speaking your mind and not what you think others want to hear. That is why he would never make a good politician. ;)

Guest AuNuma1

I can't believe this. I tune in to ESPN and radio sports talk to get the latest on sports news. If I wanted to hear policital wars and all that crap I'd tune into CNN Crossfire, or this forum, or Rush's radio show. I don't care to hear policital garbage on ESPN!! Why did they have to hire Rush in the first place??

I'd make a sucky politician, too...shaving two faces a day would be a pain. :D

I'm not sure Rush brings in a much different demographic than the one who normally watches "Countdown"...I've heard ratings are up and I would assume that the ratings will be even higher this coming Sunday given what has transpired this week...kind of a "what's he gonna say today?" issue.

I don't watch it because, to be honest, I'm visiting St. Mattress until about 11:30 most Sunday mornings.

I guess I will chime in with my opinion. Donovan McNabb is a good Player. Granted since he broke his ankle he hasn't been his old scrambling around self, but he is a good NFL Quarterback. If the Eagles had a decent offense around him he would be a dominate QB. Their Backfield sucks, and the fact that Duce Staley held out and missed ALL of training camp didn't help things much. Philly uses the run to set up the pass. To tell you how bad the Eagles WR's are They Have James Thrash as their number 1 WR who?? Todd Pinkston is number 2 ( USM graduate) and 3 is Freddie Mitchell who is basically a bust. The Eagles do however has a solid offensive line led by Tra Thomas (Florida St). Another reason why the Eagles are struggling is they lost 2 very important players off of their defence in free agency in Hugh Douglas and Shawn Barber. Also Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, and Brian Dawkins who is arguebly the best FS in football are hurt and has missed Time.

Now my opinion on Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh didn't have any business to be on ESPN NFL Countdown in the first place. He is way way out of his element. He maybe a good Political know-it-all, but politics does not = knowing football. I figure the reason why he resigned was because ESPN Countdown would've been short 3 members if Rush would've stayed the 3 are Chris Berman, Tommy Jackson, and Michael Irvin. Actually I wouldn't mind Michael Irvin leaving, but Countdown wouldn't be the same without Berman and Jackson. I wish ESPN would bring back Sterling Sharpe in place of Michael Irvin.

I don't know Limbaugh well enough to pass judgement on if he is a racist or not, but his comments was uncalled for, and if I was Donovan McNabb I would demand a public apology. Now that I think of it this might be another reason why he might've been let go cause on his show today he said he wouldn't apologize for what he said. I only know one thing McNabb won't be sending Limbaugh any christmas cards anytime soon.

The point that seems to be getting lost here is that it isn't that Limbaugh criticized a player who turns out to be black.

I didn't say that. And I'm not sure I saw anyone else here say that either.

The people saying 'foul' aren't doing it because he criticized McNabb. Limbaugh inserted the race card himself in a way that was, I think, meant to be inflammatory because that's what he gets paid to be. His statement could more accurately be applied to Doug Williams than to McNabb.

They are doing it because Rush criticized McNabb and he happened to bring up race as an issue and they are trying to make a connection that is not there because Rush didn't say what they are implying.

Rush didn't say McNabb is a bad QB because he's black.

He didn't say he only got the starting QB job in Philly because he's black.

Rush didn't make a broad statement about all black QBs (no mention of Steve McNair or Michael Vick for instance).

Rush said McNabb is not as great a QB as he is made out in the press to be (in his opinion). He thinks it's because the sports media likes to see a black QB do well. By implication, he is saying that if McNabb were a white QB, he wouldn't get nearly the accolades and praise that he does. He may or may not be correct, but it's a valid point for discussion and not racist at all. I think the "racist" tag is being tossed around by people who want to get at him politically more than anything (yes, I'm talking about you Wesley Clark aka Superboob).

Now as far as Doug Williams...at least he led his team to the Super Bowl. And if I'm not mistaken, didn't he set a record for TD passes thrown in one half of a Super Bowl?

I am not a racist. In fact, my boss is a blck man whom I have all the respect in the world for. But if Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc., can criticize white people, why can't Limbaugh, me , or any other white person say something negative about a black guy without the world getting in an uproar. heck we criticize Jason Campbell here a lot but not because he is black.

McNabb's not really upset. The media that rush called out is who's upset.

I don't have a prob with what he said. I do, however, think he was wrong in his opinion of McNabb being overrated.

ESPN brought him in to raise eyebrows. Same reason they got Irvin. Well, he did and it looks like he pissed off the wrong people on the show. I would much rather see him have to defend his football opinions among all of those ex-players every week for the rest of the season, than for them to have let him resign, though.

Another thing about this:

Where was all the hue and cry when Brian Cox said virtually the same thing about Brian Urlacher a couple of years ago? He said the only reason Urlacher was getting so much hype was because he was white, not because he was really that great.

Double standard much?

Archived