When you make a verbal commitment

AUman43

HONOR IT! I hate to agree with Saban on anything, especially now, but he is right when he says:

"I think (honoring the scholarships) is something we would like to do, but one of the things I've always said in recruiting is that it goes both ways. One of the analogies I've always used is, IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOP AROUND, WE'RE GOING TO SHOP AROUND."

I realize that times have changed and the internet has opened an information highway for recruits but the honor of a verbal commitment or a handshake SHOULD NOT be lost because of it. These high school "hot shots" have held grown me over a barrell for years now with their egos and whims. It's time somebody began to give them a dose of t heir own INDECISIVE medicine by looking around as well, letting them know it, and if necessary,pulling scholly offers if they make an ass out of themselves. JMO. What do you guys think? :thumbsup::au:

HONOR IT! I hate to agree with Saban on anything, especially now, but he is right when he says:

"I think (honoring the scholarships) is something we would like to do, but one of the things I've always said in recruiting is that it goes both ways. One of the analogies I've always used is, IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOP AROUND, WE'RE GOING TO SHOP AROUND."

I realize that times have changed and the internet has opened an information highway for recruits but the honor of a verbal commitment or a handshake SHOULD NOT be lost because of it. These high school "hot shots" have held grown me over a barrell for years now with their egos and whims. It's time somebody began to give them a dose of t heir own INDECISIVE medicine by looking around as well, letting them know it, and if necessary,pulling scholly offers if they make an ass out of themselves. JMO. What do you guys think? :thumbsup::au:

Agreed. Should be no such thing as a "soft verbal".

Yeah, I too agree with Saban on this.

So does that mean Saban will quit recruiting kids when they commit to another school?

And when he is recruiting a kid already committed, isn't he (Saban) asking the kid to act in a way Saban preaches against?

I can't agree with Saban on this. These are just high school kids who sometimes really aren't sure but commit anyway. Saban on the other hand is much experienced and wishes to exercise complete control and dominance with the recruits. Somehow I have serious reservations about his backing away from a recruit that has committed to another school.

From top to bottom, I will take CT's recruiting methods over Saban's.

War Eagle!!!

So does that mean Saban will quit recruiting kids when they commit to another school?

And when he is recruiting a kid already committed, isn't he (Saban) asking the kid to act in a way Saban preaches against?

Can you spell hypocrit? :)

While at LSU, they along with FSU and others always pushed kids until the final day, comitted or not, to sign with them. If he is comitted to this practice, then he needs to honor his comittment.

Can you spell hypocrit? :)

hypocrite.

AMEN BROTHER, AMEN!!!!! :blink:

I used to think the same thing until I had friends go through the recruiting process and I saw how the coaches/schools go after these kids

It's cut-throat and if it wasn't for the parents of my friends....the kids would have been even more confused and whatnot

I HATE IT when kids commit to UGA and then decommit but honestly...they are high school kids...17-18 year olds

If you do your homework as a recruiter and find out what kind of kid you are dealing with rather than just looking at his ht/wt/40 time and vertical, you'll know the kind of kid that will reneg on a committment. I think its a buyer beware market. You can't blame a kid for shopping for the best possible opportunity. I think Saban uses this as a scare tactic. The more I learn about Saban the more I realize he is a dictator. He rules them with psychological tactics much the same way Bobby Knight does.

Archived