Bama lands Murphy

sam

Kerry Murphy commited yesterday to Bama, but from what i've heard, he has to go the juco root first.

Auburb pulled even with Brandon Gibson, and Michael McNeil rated his visit to Auburn a "perfect 10" yesterday. Ziemba should commit soon.

wde

Kerry Murphy commited yesterday to Bama...

They're acting like this is some kind of big coup and clearly establishes Saban as the SEC's top recruiter. From what I heard, this guy was theirs to lose from day one. He would have signed with Bama if Shula was still there or if Mr. Potato Head was coaching.

To me, the only news would have been if this cat DIDN'T commit to Bama.

Am I wrong????

They're acting like this is some kind of big coup and clearly establishes Saban as the SEC's top recruiter. From what I heard, this guy was theirs to lose from day one. He would have signed with Bama if Shula was still there or if Mr. Potato Head was coaching.

Am I wrong????

Nope, you're right. The fact that Murphy actually had to wait out THIS LONG until commiting to Bama should tell you something.

Am I wrong????

Whos "they"? Everyone on the BOL board is saying that K Murphy wasnt a big verbal today anyway because he had always been a lock.

Am I wrong????

Whos "they"? Everyone on the BOL board is saying that K Murphy wasnt a big verbal today anyway because he had always been a lock.

clearly he had seen SOMEONE who would qualify as "they" or he wouldn't have posted it.

bg03: existing solely to make sure everything we say about the university of alabama is spun until proven incorrect.

bg03: existing solely to make sure everything we say about the university of alabama is spun until proven incorrect.

You are right. He seems almost insane about it. Have you ever heard of anyone spending so much time and making so many posts on a rival's board and yet whining all the time. The good part is he has become so predictable. When you say something you can just about predict his response.

He actually posts more here than some of our own board members....... :homer:

clearly he had seen SOMEONE who would qualify as "they" or he wouldn't have posted it.

Yes he would have, I've never seen a fanbase so utterly infatuated with discrediting their rivals, so a slanted view wouldn't be very odd to spot.

It's called one of the biggest RIVALRIES in all of sports, there Einstein. And your rival would be.....

Am I wrong????

You really need to change your tag line from Kool Aid Drinker to "Official Bama Apologist"

It's odd how you hear or don't hear (depending on the situation) what everyone else does when it comes to Bama.

You really need to change your tag line from Kool Aid Drinker to "Official Bama Apologist"

It's odd how you hear or don't hear (depending on the situation) what everyone else does when it comes to Bama.

Well I find it odd that 2 hours after Murphy commits...you already have the ability to speak for all Alabama fans. When I doubt you have a paid subscription to BOL or any of the other premium boards...all you have to go on is ITAT, Bamamag, and tidefans. All very very poor outlets for any reasonable or logical examples of alabama fans. (included ITAT because thats where most people get their "what bama is saying")

It seems to me like you just took the common line about alabama fans FROM ITAT and ran with it as soon as kerry verballed.

Well I find it odd that 2 hours after Murphy commits...you already have the ability to speak for all Alabama fans. When I doubt you have a paid subscription to BOL or any of the other premium boards...all you have to go on is ITAT, Bamamag, and tidefans. All very very poor outlets for any reasonable or logical examples of alabama fans. (included ITAT because thats where most people get their "what bama is saying")

It seems to me like you just took the common line about alabama fans FROM ITAT and ran with it as soon as kerry verballed.

You forgot TideSports.com. Those are some really grounded fans there.

Actually I base most of what I think on what I hear from people I know. People who are in the Bama program, contributors to it, long-time fans. People who PRIOR to Murphy's verbal were saying that IF Saban could get him THEN he would be the SEC's best recruiter. Similar comments about Andre Smith and Shula last season, FWIW. Tuberville was supposedly running scared of Shula's recruiting prowess, too.

Also? Take a look at the state newspapers. They're so far up Saban's butt on this all you can see is the bottom of their earth shoes. The headlines aren't "Murphy commits to Bama" but "Saban lands state's top recruit".

The funny thing about this is that all this flack is about guy who won't get on Bama's campus for two years. Who cares about this kid? Come back and see us when he is ready to play. Of course Saban may have moved on by then, making this whole discussion moot.

The funny thing about this is that all this flack is about guy who won't get on Bama's campus for two years. Who cares about this kid? Come back and see us when he is ready to play. Of course Saban may have moved on by then, making this whole discussion moot.

How many years will he artificially inflate their recruiting "rankings"? That's the real question. If he's a four star and they count him for four years, does that make him a 16 star?

I will try to give an honest opinion of this kid. I saw him play and practice a good bit this year. He is big, but he is not a physical speciman. He does not have muscles coming out of his eyelids. He is o.k on strength. Mostly just outsized o-lineman this year like most big prospects do at this level. Had some kind of injury down the stretch so did not play a tremendous amout in playoffs but did play in state championship game. Played beside Champman kid that is going to AU. Definintely bigger than Chapman, but plays "high". Butt is very high in the air in his defensive stance and first move was always forward. With current stance he can be blocked. I am sure UA will work on that, but he could end up in O-Line IMO. Chapman plays lower and more lateral.

Early in the year Hoover would practice a lot of best on best, espicially in camps and summer. As a note, watching Ryan Pugh (AU center commit) block on both Murhy and Champman was pretty cool. Pugh is very strong and once he locked up with either of these guys, he had them. He would just stick those arms straight out and that would be it.

How many years will he artificially inflate their recruiting "rankings"? That's the real question. If he's a four star and they count him for four years, does that make him a 16 star?

Along that line,,,,

Four star RB Mike Ford counted on UAT's signing list for the past 3 or 4 years. Now he is committed to South Florida and counts on theirs as well. In reality he should count on USF's since he will probably get in.

Along that line,,,,

Four star RB Mike Ford counted on UAT's signing list for the past 3 or 4 years. Now he is committed to South Florida and counts on theirs as well. In reality he should count on USF's since he will probably get in.

This kind of thing doesn't just happen on your rival's recruiting front, you know? For example, half of Tennessee's 5-star recruits of the '07 class are JUCO or Prep School players that boosted their rankings last year as well, and get to further boost them this year.

Cases like this are limitless (UT's was notable for making them appear to have one of the premier classes in America, when in reality many of their biggest recruits are just players signed in years past now equipped with inflated rankings), and don't think your school is exempt. Or will that Slaughter kid not earn the distinction of helping Auburn recruiting rankings for a second year?

Link

Saban lands state's top recruit

Monday, January 15, 2007

Nick Saban picked up his first commitment as the University of Alabama's new head football coach on Sunday, and it was an impressive catch.

Hoover High School defensive tackle Kerry Murphy, the top-rated prospect on The Birmingham News' list of 2007 Super Seniors, committed to Saban (not Alabama) after taking his official visit to the Capstone.

Murphy's mother, Rosetta Murphy, confirmed her son's commitment Sunday night.

Efforts to reach her son were unsuccessful. But his mother, who accompanied him on the weekend visit, said they were especially impressed with Bama's new man.

She said Saban "was wonderful. He's really for the kids."

The 6-foot-5, 310-pound defensive lineman also considered Auburn, Miami, Louisville, Clemson, Kentucky and Ole Miss.

Murphy is ranked among the top 50 players in the nation by Rivals.com. The recruiting service ranks him the nation's fifth best defensive tackle.

Marve staying firm as Tide commitment:

Tampa quarterback Robert Marve, the No.8 dropback passer in the nation according to Rivals.com, came away from his weekend visit to Alabama and new head coach Nick Saban firm on his commitment to the Crimson Tide.

"He had a real good visit," said Robert Weiner, Marve's coach at Plant High School. "He'd seen the facilities but he wanted to get comfortable with the coaching staff and the players."

Marve, hosted by incumbent quarterback John Parker Wilson, had a good visit, but plans to make trips to Miami and Hawaii in the next two weeks on the advice of his parents.

"He's never de-committed," Weiner said.

If Auburn somehow loses B.C. Rain of Mobile defensive back Ryan Williams to rival Alabama, the Tigers will be missing out on someone who's quite a character. Doesn't that tone just sound hopeful?

For now, Williams, an Auburn commitment, is planning on staying a Tiger. He visited the campus over the weekend but plans to visit Tuscaloosa this weekend to check out new Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban along with teammate and fellow recruit, safety Elliot McGaskin.

"I had a really great visit to Auburn this weekend. Everything was perfect," Williams said. "On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 45. I'm not totally counting them (Alabama) out but I'd really have to have a good time to change my mind. It all depends on how good of a time they show me."

As for being a character ... just call his cell phone. If he doesn't answer, you'll be greeted by a recording from Bernice Jenkins of the Oh Lord! Hold My Mule While I Shout Missionary Evangelistic Baptist Church of God in Christ Faith Tabernacle. Really, it's the voice of popular comedian Rickey Smiley, an Alabama A&M alum. Then, you'll be forwarded to the secretary of "Ryan Williams' Office, the No. 1 DB in the Nation" and put on hold while your call is being transferred before you can leave a message.

"Yeah, I had some girl do that for me," said the 5-foot-8, 185-pound player rated No. 8 in The Birmingham News' Super Seniors Class of 2007.

Then the other only college football news on the front page was one big bobo-honk fest.

Saban aims for victory in signing Joe McKnight

Monday, January 15, 2007

If it happens, it'll be an upset of staggering proportions.

If he pulls this off, it'll be bigger than taking down Auburn on the field next season in his first Iron Bowl.

If Nick Saban signs Joe McKnight, it'll be the biggest victory of his first year as the Alabama head coach.

And it'll send bigger shock waves through the college football world than Saban's decision to return to the SEC West or his compensation.

It's not supposed to happen. You're not supposed to swipe a prospect who's being hyped as the next Reggie Bush away from Southern California. You're not supposed to steal Louisiana's Mr. Football away from LSU.

You're not supposed to do this kind of thing even if you've been the Alabama coach for years, and you're definitely not supposed to do it just a month after taking the job.

Saban's going to try it anyway.

And why not? This time around, he's in a unique position on a unique prospect. He has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Saban said something the other day about recruiting that made up in accuracy what it lacked in originality. He said, "Recruiting's all about developing relationships."

That's the biggest reason Saban has any chance at all to compete for a player who's expected to choose between USC and LSU. Relationships.

Saban has a relationship with J.T. Curtis, McKnight's coach at John Curtis Christian School in River Ridge, La. Saban and Curtis are considered friends dating back to Saban's days at LSU.

Curtis has a relationship with McKnight that goes beyond the typical coach-player relationship. Because of the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina, a few of Curtis' players live with him. McKnight is one of them.

All of this gives Saban a connection to one of the best high school prospects in the nation, an impact recruit who played running back, wide receiver, defensive back and kick returner last season and scored a touchdown, on average, every 2.9 times he touched the ball.

It'll be interesting to see if Saban can convince McKnight to take an official visit to Tuscaloosa. McKnight visited Ole Miss over the weekend, and he's scheduled to visit USC and LSU the next two weekends.

That leaves one weekend open before the Feb. 7 signing day.

How far might Saban go to get McKnight? There's been speculation that he might hire Curtis as a carrot. Package deals are technically against NCAA rules but practically impossible to prove.

It worked for Houston Nutt, who added high school coach Gus Malzahn to his Arkansas staff and then signed Malzahn's quarterback, Mitch Mustain.

But Curtis himself, in a Friday conversation with WJOX's Jim Dunaway and Ryan Brown, seemed to dismiss the idea of working for Saban at Alabama.

McKnight already has made his mark on the field in this state. He had his way with Hoover last season, catching touchdown passes of 45 and 80 yards in a 28-14 win over the Bucs.

Will he ever come back? As a recruit or as an opponent?

Every year, there are certain recruiting battles that bear watching more than others. A few weeks ago, Alabama fans had no reason to follow the battle for Joe McKnight.

Now, thanks to Saban, they do.

Am I wrong????

No Mr. O...you are correct! :)

:au::homer:

I actually heard Ray and Kelly on JOX saying that and read it in the papaer.

I will try to give an honest opinion of this kid. I saw him play and practice a good bit this year. He is big, but he is not a physical speciman. He does not have muscles coming out of his eyelids. He is o.k on strength. Mostly just outsized o-lineman this year like most big prospects do at this level. Had some kind of injury down the stretch so did not play a tremendous amout in playoffs but did play in state championship game. Played beside Champman kid that is going to AU. Definintely bigger than Chapman, but plays "high". Butt is very high in the air in his defensive stance and first move was always forward. With current stance he can be blocked. I am sure UA will work on that, but he could end up in O-Line IMO. Chapman plays lower and more lateral.

Early in the year Hoover would practice a lot of best on best, espicially in camps and summer. As a note, watching Ryan Pugh (AU center commit) block on both Murhy and Champman was pretty cool. Pugh is very strong and once he locked up with either of these guys, he had them. He would just stick those arms straight out and that would be it.

Great evaluation.

Saw Murphy play against Vestavia this year. He has really quick feet for a guy his size, but he was basically a non-factor in the game. He got into the backfield a couple of times, but that was really it. Chapman really had a better game that day. Tough to make an evaluation after seeing the kid one time, but I did not get the impression that he was a world beater.

Yes he would have, I've never seen a fanbase so utterly infatuated with discrediting their rivals, so a slanted view wouldn't be very odd to spot.

It's called one of the biggest RIVALRIES in all of sports, there Einstein. And your rival would be.....

Rock chalk...Jayhawk...KU

Archived