Ht: 6-foot-4 (Events)

Wt: 287 lbs

Forty: 5.2 secs

Bench max: 350 pounds

Squat max: 450 pounds

GPA: 4.0

ACT: 22

Class: 2007 (High School)

He might or might not redshirt this year I would guess, just looking at how many people we're losing from the offensive line, looks like he'll be a solid player.

From Rivals:

3 star Offensive Guard

Ht: 6-foot-4 (Events)

Wt: 287 lbs

Forty: 5.2 secs

Bench max: 350 pounds

Squat max: 450 pounds

GPA: 4.0

ACT: 22

Class: 2007 (High School)

He might or might not redshirt this year I would guess, just looking at how many people we're losing from the offensive line, looks like he'll be a solid player.

He said that Saban wanted to talk to him to offer him a Scholarship, but he turned him down.

(Read: We (Bamar) didn't want him anyway).... B)

:au::homer:

He said that Saban wanted to talk to him to offer him a Scholarship, but he turned him down.

(Read: We (Bamar) didn't want him anyway).... B)

He sounds like an intelligent young man, he obviously sees through the show going on at UAT right ... all the smoke and mirrors haven't fooled him.

From all of the comments that I've read from this kid, it seems that he really wanted to come to Auburn and that sometimes means a whole lot. He has the frame to come in and develop into a great one.

From all of the comments that I've read from this kid, it seems that he really wanted to come to Auburn and that sometimes means a whole lot. He has the frame to come in and develop into a great one.

Cooper was selected to the All State team and I believe he made an All South team as well according to a Florida newspaper. Not a stud recruit but one who has flown under the radar and has wanted to be a Tiger the whole time. The great thing about him is he has a 4.0 GPA and is a real hard worker, he also has great size already.

From a web site:

"A Grey Shirt player is a player who committed to a school in the last recruiting class but does not sign because of scholarship shortage."

He hopes, obviously, to get a scholly later when one becomes available...but for now, he pays his own way.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha....xml&coll=2

A lifelong Alabama fan, Cooper changed allegiances after developing a relationship with Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville and offensive line assistant Hugh Nall. He made only one official recruiting visit.

Forty-hours in Auburn clinched the deal.

...but, but, but, sanctions are over!...I thought we were only able to get converts because of UAT sanctions? :rolleyes:

A friend who knows the Cooper family said Saban called Jared and wanted to make an in-home visit. Jared politely told him no he was commited to Auburn. Saban called a 2hd time and got a little pushy so the Coopers told him to kiss off and not call any more.I know this can't be true since no one would turn down the opportunity to have Slick Nick in your home.

I love Jared already. :cheer:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Jared Cooper has commited to AU but he will probably be a greyshirt.

What is a "greyshirt"?

A player who commits to a program, but does not enroll until the following January in order to not count against numbers in a particular year's numbers.

John Wilson was a greyshirt for Alabama.

A friend who knows the Cooper family said Saban called Jared and wanted to make an in-home visit. Jared politely told him no he was commited to Auburn. Saban called a 2hd time and got a little pushy so the Coopers told him to kiss off and not call any more.I know this can't be true since no one would turn down the opportunity to have Slick Nick in your home.

Along those lines - but says Slick Nick had a visit scheduled: http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill....xml&coll=1

AUBURN - Offensive guard Jared Cooper, named the state's 4A Lineman of the Year as a senior at East Brewton's W.S. Neal High School, said Monday he plans to sign with Auburn.

Cooper, 6-foot-4 and 295 pounds, committed after taking an official visit to Auburn over the weekend. He said Alabama coach Nick Saban had been scheduled to visit him this week but he followed his heart.

"There is no doubt in my mind," Cooper told Inside The Auburn Tigers Magazine. "Auburn is a great place. It is a lot like Brewton and it is where I want to be."

Advertisement

Cooper, who has a 4.0 GPA, could be asked to grayshirt, meaning he wouldn't go on scholarship until January.

"That's fine with me if I'm a grayshirt," Cooper said. "I want to play at Auburn."

Cooper, one of 17 prospects who visited over the weekend, is Auburn's 21st public commitment.

Cooper was selected to the All State team and I believe he made an All South team as well according to a Florida newspaper. Not a stud recruit but one who has flown under the radar and has wanted to be a Tiger the whole time. The great thing about him is he has a 4.0 GPA and is a real hard worker, he also has great size already.

The 4.0 is a great point. Really his eagerness and loyalty to AU and his 4.0 are as impressive to me as his frame and potential. These are the kind of in-state recruits that help to maintain a very solid program. I don't think he's as likely to be the spoiled athlete type, that has a discipline problem.

It is talented young men like Jared Cooper, with have such a committed loyalty and love for AU, that I like suiting up for us and playing their hearts out. These are the players that best represent AU football.

"I think (honoring the scholarships) is something we would like to do, but one of the things I've always said in recruiting is that it goes both ways. One of the analogies I've always used is, IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHOP AROUND, WE'RE GOING TO SHOP AROUND." Nick Saban

So does that mean Saban will quit recruiting kids when they commit to another school?

And when he is recruiting a kid already committed, isn't he (Saban) asking the kid to act in a way Saban preaches against?

I guess my question has been answered!

The same thing happend with Ryan Williams...he has decided not to take a visit to Alabama

Now they say $atan visited and Cooper is considering going to the Crapstone.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/in....xml&coll=3

Tide coach visits with area recruits

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

By RANDY KENNEDY

Sports Editor

Nick Saban has spent the last two days traveling across south Alabama in search of prospects for his first football recruiting class at the University of Alabama. Saban spent a portion of Tuesday night at UMS-Wright watching the Bulldogs and star wide receiver recruit Brandon Gibson face the Daphne Trojans in basketball.

His work on Monday, which included visits with most of the Mobile area's top seniors, may already be having an impact on the Tide as well as rival Auburn.

Brewton offensive lineman Jared Cooper publicly revealed his commitment to Auburn Monday after spending the weekend on an official visit to the campus. But after a Monday evening visit from Saban, the W.S. Neal High standout is now mulling an official visit to Tuscaloosa.

Advertisement

A 6-foot-4, 287-pound guard, Cooper was long assumed to be a private commitment to Auburn and went public this week after Auburn's big recruiting weekend. But Cooper, who is a lifelong Tide fan with a perfect 4.0 grade-point average, now says he is considering both programs.

"Coach Saban offered me a scholarship to play for Alabama," Cooper told Rivals.com. "It definitely gives me another serious option to consider. Right now, I am still an Auburn commitment, and I don't have a timetable or anything like that to decide."

For now, Auburn is offering Cooper a scholarship as a "grayshirt," meaning he wouldn't join the team until January 2008 and would not count against this year's scholarship total. If Alabama offered a scholarship for this year, Cooper would be the first offensive lineman to have such an offer from the Tide.

In addition to visiting UMS-Wright, Saban spent part of Tuesday at other high schools, including Davidson and McGill-Toolen. Davidson is the home of safety Michael McNeil, while blue-chip recruits Sidell Corley and Phelon Jones attend McGill.

In addition to Cooper, Auburn is waiting on another offensive lineman who could make a decision within days. Lee Ziemba of Rogers, Ark., will receive in-home visits from Tigers coach Tommy Tuberville and Arkansas coach Houston Nutt before choosing between the two schools.

It seems to me (what do I know) that Tubs SHOULD come up with a scholly for th is kid since he wants to come to Auburn, is willing to pay his own way for a bit, and is lineman of the year in his class!!!!! This should not be allowed to happen if for no other reason, to prevent Satan crowing about stealing an AU recruit... :no:

Archived