UGA/BAMA...what the hell???

AUHansel

Bama should have lost that game. The announcers are retarded and didn't know what they were talking about. The ball hit the rim and UGA got the ball, thats why there was not shot clock violation. One of the idiot refs blew his whistle and that made it a jump ball. Bama gets the ball and the guy traveled before he shot it but he made it and the travel wasn't called. UGA got robbed.

Bama should have lost that game. The announcers are retarded and didn't know what they were talking about. The ball hit the rim and UGA got the ball, thats why there was not shot clock violation. One of the idiot refs blew his whistle and that made it a jump ball. Bama gets the ball and the guy traveled before he shot it but he made it and the travel wasn't called. UGA got robbed.

Yep. Should have been UGA ball. It doesn't matter what the clock is when the ball hits the rim, it matters only when it leaves the shooter's hand. The ball nicked the rim (which you could see by the obvious trajectory change) and the UGA player rebounded it. Then to compound their errors, they sit there and watch Steele shuffle his feet and take a step before shooting. The Dogs got hosed.

You know....I have watched UGA lose several games this year...and after everyone, I am fine....content because UGA isn't a basketball school and frankly, we aren't that good.

But in the last 3-4 years of watching college basketball, I have never seen such stupidity with the refs.

The utterly and obvious walk to end the game was just the end to a terrible 2nd half of calling.

Anyone see Newman and/or Gaines get mauled with 5-6 minutes left with no fouls? Literally...had someone from Bama hanging on them with their bodies....yet Bama goes down the court and shots it and somehow it gets called

I am baffled.....what were the refs doing? Are they really that unable to simply do their jobs with some sort of degree of objectivity?

Not only is Bama overrated they are lucky also. The refs missed two calls on the last play of the game. UGA player tied the ball up, should have been a jump ball situation, then the Bama player does a two step and a twirl and got the shot off. UGA got hosed but it should have never been that close, when you got a team down like that keep the boot on the throat.

First of all...that ball DID NOT hit the rim. It was a shot clock violation. Secondly, the guy that rebounded the damn ball DROPPED IT OUT OF BOUNDS. So had the ref not blown the whistle, it would have been our ball anyway. I dont understand. did you guys not see the ball go out of bounds?

Secondly, you dont blow an 18 point second half lead and blame the game on the refs. Im sorry. Alabama made great adjustments at the half. And got screwed I dont know HOW many times with them not calling over the back on either of the two big reds for UGA. They were over the back on almost every rebound attempt.

I swear. They jump out 15-0. Lead by 15 at the half, 18 in the second half...we win...and we are LUCKY?

Good lord. What a joke.

Oh yeah, just to be thorough:

Rule 4, Section 66.

Travel:

. . .

Art. 4. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:

a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

b. The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

First of all...that ball DID NOT hit the rim. It was a shot clock violation.

The ball hit the rim when the UGA rebounder pick it back. Not sure how someone can not see that....the whistle had already been blown when the UGA player brought it down. If it isn't called, I think he comes down with it.

Secondly, you dont blow an 18 point second half lead and blame the game on the refs.

Thank you for giving us the rules...too bad the refs didn't see it. I was curious if the refs thought Duke was playing

I don't care if we were up 40 at half....I have a problem with fouls/non-fouls at the end of the game deciding who wins and losses...it's ashame such morons are on the court making such obvious mistakes. The fact was that the game-winning shot and numerous (not 1-2 but NUMEROUS calls were put against us yet oddly enough not against UA) in the 2nd half. How that happens...no idea....why Newman doesn't get the foul/call when a Bama player JUMPS ON TOP OF HIM is weird....wonder when they stopped calling that?

How about that fast-break with 2 minutes left? Bama players misses it...another Bama player gets it...UGA player puts his entire hand on the ball while it goes up....no body contact whatsoever.....foul....huh?

I started losing count towards the last 5 minutes

Ashame the refs decide games like this.....hopefully they lose their job

He didnt travel. Go to www.sportsline.com they have the highlights up.

The rule is you CAN leave your pivot foot as long as the ball is let go before your pivot foot comes back down. And the ball was CLEARLY gone before his pivot foot came back down. You cant argue with the rules. I dont care what Seth Davis said after the game.

And secondly "I think he would have come down with it". Thats not the world we live in. And we had the posession arrow anyway. So after the whistle was blown...the only reasonable conclusion is to say "well it was an inadvertent whistle...or whatever...goes to the posession arrow". Those are the rules.

But to say you THINK he would have come down with the rebound is silly. He was TRYING to come down with it when it went out of bounds.

Bottom line, he didnt travel. Unless you have a different rule book. Or you see his right foot come back down before the shot was released. Which means you have a different end game highlight than me.

the ball absolutely hit the rim. The trajectory changes. The reason is was a little hard to tell because it hit and continued underneath the rim.

the ball absolutely hit the rim. The trajectory changes. The reason is was a little hard to tell because it hit and continued underneath the rim.

I know, it really isn't hard to see....unless Bama fans have a goal that magically makes the ball go in a different direction in the air?

And BG...the world we live in is a world with refs such as the one for this game....total shame. I stand by what I said...if the whistle isn't blown...I think the guy comes down with it and puts it back.

Bama wins on terrible calls, oh well...thankfully I am not a huge basketball fan or else I would really be upset.

BG, sorry. I Tivo'd it and watched it three times with my wife. The ball clearly changed trajectory when it hit the rim on the way down. The refs acknowledged they blew the call by resorting to that "ref blew the whistle so it's a jump ball" solution.

Second, he traveled, but it was before the pivot foot came up. He stopped his dribble and shuffled his feet before he turned and stepped. It was traveling before the pivot foot issue.

From the horses mouth:

Sundiata Gaines' awkward jumper as the shot clock expired gave Alabama the ball back with 17 seconds left and a last chance to avoid overtime. Georgia's Takais Brown grabbed the rebound, but official Tom Lopes said he blew the whistle "inadvertently," believing the ball failed to hit the rim for a shot-clock violation.

Officials watched the replay on TV monitors, and the third angle they looked at "showed the ball nicked the rim," Lopes said in a statement.

"When we noticed that, the ball becomes dead on my whistle," he said. "Because no team had possession of the ball at the time of the whistle you go to the possession arrow."

That meant Alabama's ball.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/recap?gid=200701200006

He didnt travel. I just watched it 4 times in a row.

Again, even if it magically DID hit the rim...that doesnt change the rule. And it doesnt change the FACT that the dude dropped the ball out of bounds. It would have been bama ball EITHER WAY. I dont understand.

You can play this magic world scenario and see it how you want just because you dont like alabama...but that doesnt change the facts of the game.

Even if it does hit the rim, the guy drops the ball. And per the RULE if there is a whistle and confusion, you look at the posession arrow.

I am TVR'ing it right now and after 4 times and looking at the rule.....I see traveling every single time.

As for it dropping out of bounds, if the whistle isn't called, you have no idea if he would have gotten it or not.

Ashame

He didnt travel. I just watched it 4 times in a row.

Again, even if it magically DID hit the rim...that doesnt change the rule. And it doesnt change the FACT that the dude dropped the ball out of bounds. It would have been bama ball EITHER WAY. I dont understand.

Don't? Or refuse to? He dropped the ball after the refs were blowing play dead thinking it was a shot clock violation. He had control of the ball before that.

And as the above article says, it didn't "magically" do anything, it actually hit it. The refs blew the call and gave Bama a chance they shouldn't have had while simultaneously taking one from Georgia.

And per the RULE if there is a whistle and confusion, you look at the posession arrow.

There shouldn't have been "confusion" it was a blown call, plain and simple.

There's not going to be any changing ya'lls minds.

Bottom line, you dont blow an 18 point second half lead and blame your loss on the refs. But its great to see...in typical fasion, you guys give zero credit to Alabama for fighting back after going down so big early.

UGA went cold in the second half, and Bama didnt. That is, unless the refs shot all those 3s.

Bottom line, you dont blow an 18 point second half lead and blame your loss on the refs.

Sure you can....when Newman and Gaines are having people fall over them with no call....and then Alabama gets two sets of free throws on phantom body contact which all results in an 8-point turn....I could make a case

Bottom line, you dont blow an 18 point second half lead and blame your loss on the refs.

Sure you can....when Newman and Gaines are having people fall over them with no call....and then Alabama gets two sets of free throws on phantom body contact which all results in an 8-point turn....I could make a case

Well I guess you guys really won and we paid the refs. Lets forget that ya'll shot like 30% in the second half.

Well, with the way the last minute went...the refs being paid off doesn't really sound that far off

Whatever. Im done. Like I said...there's no changing your mind. And certainly not any AU fans here. You guys give us so much crap about always blaming the refs. Now you cant account for all the bricks your team chucked up in the second half. Or the fact that you couldnt guard Riley. Its all the refs fault.

Whatever. We won. You blew an 18 point lead. Whether it was a gift or not...

Last thing I'll say about it. If you guys had to slow it down and watch the replay 4 and 5 times...until you FINALLY came to the decision that it grazed the rim...why do you expect a ref, in the heat of the moment to be able to make that decision without the benefit of instant replay?

Could it be that he couldnt see it because it was SUCH a miniscule graze of the rim? At least they consulted the replay and made the right decision.

And slink..you never responded about the ball leaving his hand before his right foot came back down.

You guys give us so much crap about always blaming the refs. Now you cant account for all the bricks your team chucked up in the second half. Or the fact that you couldnt guard Riley. Its all the refs fault.

First off, where do I ever blame Bama and the refs?

I thought you were talking to the AU fans yet you said "your team chucked up in the 2nd half" thus you must mean me....

Whatever. We won. You blew an 18 point lead. Whether it was a gift or not...

It was but you are right....

Last thing I'll say about it. If you guys had to slow it down and watch the replay 4 and 5 times...until you FINALLY came to the decision that it grazed the rim...why do you expect a ref, in the heat of the moment to be able to make that decision without the benefit of instant replay?

First you said it didn't....now you are saying that it did but because it was heat of the moment? Which is it? You obviously have TIVO by saying you are re-watching the replays....how do you NOT SAY IT HIT THE RIM?

The ref said he saw it hit the rim (from the 3rd replay)...so i going with what he said. But you still didnt answer either of my questions. At first glance, with the naked eye...that ball doesnt look like it hit the rim.

They, and you, get the benefit of going back and looking at it over and over until they finally see something. Yet you are suggesting that the ref PURPOSEFULLY cheated by blowing his whistle...when in fact, it would have been virtually impossible to see that from any distance in the heat of the moment.

And again, what about the pivot foot hitting the ground after the ball was released?

BG, I saw the ball change direction at full speed from the regular game camera angle. It wasn't miniscule. The ball clearly and suddenly goes almost straight down after traveling on an arc that in no way would have gone that way unimpeded. I rewound it because initially the announcers were saying it didn't hit and I wanted to look at it again myself. I didn't need slow mo, all I did was confirm the look.

You want credit? Great comeback. But it the headline should have been, "Big Comeback Falls Just Short" instead of "Two Blown Calls Cap Bama Comeback Win."

Archived