Chapman now appears

AUman43

waivering on his AU commit as well as Jared Cooper. I can't help but wonder WHY this seems to happen evey year to us and seldom goes the other way. Only one I can remember is Christopher Browder who commited to Auburn a few years ago, changed to Bammer, then, failed to qualify and after JUCCO, committed to Auburn and played out his career there. Seems like there would be something we could do to prevent the Bammers from stealing some of our commits every year...

Chapman appears to have gained a full ride from Bama as well which is probably why he's re-considering. Remember that he was a Bama lean but commited to us because Bama only offered a Grayshirt.

Why is Tuberville letting Saban come in and steal our damn commitments?

no one has been stolen and there's absolutely nothing he can do about it if saban wants to come calling. can he board the kids up in a box and remove all the phone lines? no. this is all typical 11th hour crap and we have nothing to worry about. we might lose cooper, but we also just countered saban's offer with a full ride of our own. chapman has been solid since this summer. i wouldn't worry about him.

i would seriously not sweat any of the kids who have already committed here. we may lose one or two, but we'll also pull one or two that nobody will see coming, as per usual.

if anything, this is proof that saban is a slimeball and will make whipping his ass that much sweeter. his last minute fellatio has really done him no good thus far. he got kerry murphy? who cares?

Why are you so negative all the damn time? Seriously. Do you take medicine for your constant state of depression?

First, Saban hasn't stolen anything. You'd have to expect that some kids who wouldn't have given a second of thought to playing for a dimwit like Shula would give a better coach like Saban a listen.

Second, they are simply taking visits. That's it. Chapman said, ""It's still Auburn. I don't think (Alabama) has much of a chance." He just wants to take some visits and have a little fun.

Third, Cooper was only being offered a greyshirt by Auburn and Bama came in with a full ride scholly offer. I'm seeing reports that Auburn has decided to now offer Cooper a full ride as well. We'll see how it plays out.

If we lose either or both, so be it, but don't start with the Chicken Little crap before anything actually happens.

If we do lose a commitment to SPUAT, the way I look at it, he didn't want to be at Auburn anyway. So, we really haven't lost anything. We want players that WANT to be at Auburn.

waivering on his AU commit as well as Jared Cooper. I can't help but wonder WHY this seems to happen evey year to us and seldom goes the other way. Only one I can remember is Christopher Browder who commited to Auburn a few years ago, changed to Bammer, then, failed to qualify and after JUCCO, committed to Auburn and played out his career there. Seems like there would be something we could do to prevent the Bammers from stealing some of our commits every year...

Where are you seeing anything concrete on this?

Where are you seeing anything concrete on this?

rivals just reports that he's going on a visit to bama. the headline says "bama back in it" but chapman himself says they don't have much of a chance.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeez, didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. The real issue with me I suppose, was wondering WHY CTT couldn't come up with scholarships for Cooper, who was rated the lineman of the year in class 5-A and Chapman, who is rated as a top lineman himself in a year when we lost 4 linemen? I realize that CTT and his staff have done a great job recruiting in the past but just wondered, that's all.

Well, there is obviously some very good reasons they were offered greyshirts to beging with.

If tubs decides to offer them full deals I would hope it would be because we needed them as full schollies and not because he was trying to keep them away from saban. Otherwise we could miss out on someone we felt was more valuable to the team.

Jared Cooper rated his Bama visit an "8 out of 10." I believe he gave his AU visit a 10 out of 10 a few weeks back. He's going to take a few days to think about it but he did say that AU upping the offer to a scholly this year made his situation "a lot less complicated."

Also, tiger88, apparently the AU staff had told Cooper when they offered him the greyshirt that there was a 50/50 chance it would end up being a scholly this year, it just depended on how things shook out and what came open. Apparently something did.

Well, there is obviously some very good reasons they were offered greyshirts to beging with.

If tubs decides to offer them full deals I would hope it would be because we needed them as full schollies and not because he was trying to keep them away from saban. Otherwise we could miss out on someone we felt was more valuable to the team.

What is a greyshirt? Is it a commit that doesn't get a scholarship until later? Does he have to walk-on for a set time? Is he assured of a scholarship?

What is a greyshirt? Is it a commit that doesn't get a scholarship until later? Does he have to walk-on for a set time? Is he assured of a scholarship?

My impression of a gray shirt is someone we think worthy of a scholarship but due to scholarship availability at a particular position we can't actually give a scholarship until the following year and therefore count against following year's number ... I think of it as a deferred scholarship.

Well, it appears Jared WAS good enough for a full scholly or somone made a mistake to begin with Tiger88. To be selected linemen of the year usually indicates that he is pretty darn good. THAT's why I said I was confused by their initial refusal to make a full offer.

It is not a rumor. Auburn did offer Cooper a full scholly before he went to West Vance. Now just remember though, if he changes his mind we adopt the bama approach and say we never offered.

Cooper said his visit went well, he is still commited to Auburn but will sit down and think about it some more this week. The good news is that Nall is visiting with him tonight and Steve Marshall will visit him later in the week.

I'm glad Cooper is making sure what he wants to do. It's better he go to bama if that's what he wants, and if that's what he decides I wish him well. He is a good kid no matter what.

I don't understand why anyone here on this board would be upset or disappointed or anything negative. You all told me when Shula got fired and when Bama couldn't hire a coach, that their recruiting would take a serious hit and would have a few commits leave Bama.

Why are you so worried? Many of their commits will leave Bama and none will leave Auburn. You guys said so.

On a related note, I just read that Enrique Davis has some "serious thinking to do" after his official visit to FSU. But I have nothing to worry because no Auburn commits will leave - you guys said they are all strong with their commitment.

Verbals are nice and everything, but any recruit that ever visits other schools - I'll believe they are Auburn bound when and only when they sign on the dotted line. Til then, they are just a kid who doesn't know what they are going to do. And for those who don't give verbals to Auburn - we don't seem to ever grab those guys, so I'm just worried about keeping those verbals.

I suspect we had somebody who informed the coaches that he was going elsewhere and a scholly opened up.

He feels bad for Nick and wants to help him get Bama back to where it used to be?

Noooooooooooo. it's where they DESERVE to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :puke::moon:

Guest Tigrinum Major

Well, it appears Jared WAS good enough for a full scholly or somone made a mistake to begin with Tiger88. To be selected linemen of the year usually indicates that he is pretty darn good. THAT's why I said I was confused by their initial refusal to make a full offer.

He was 3A or 4A Lineman of the Year. These players tend to be a touch smaller than your typical 6A linemen.

He's a bright young man who might be able to afford to pay his own way for a semester before the grayshirt was removed. There are factors that we might not ever know about.

I don't think it was a refusal to make a full offer, but a wait and see attitude with other kids already being committed and a few more that they were looking to get into the fold. When Alabama came calling, Auburn made the move to offer a full ride. There were probably many factors that played into it.

Jared Cooper rated his Bama visit an "8 out of 10." I believe he gave his AU visit a 10 out of 10 a few weeks back. He's going to take a few days to think about it but he did say that AU upping the offer to a scholly this year made his situation "a lot less complicated."

Also, tiger88, apparently the AU staff had told Cooper when they offered him the greyshirt that there was a 50/50 chance it would end up being a scholly this year, it just depended on how things shook out and what came open. Apparently something did.

Thats cool. My point was that imo if it's good for us do it. Don't do it just to keep saban from getting one if it caused us to miss out on something else. I really like the way this guy looks and sounds so I'm glad we got him.

Thanks for the info.

I trust the coaches to do what they think is right. Looks like all your fretting was for nothing.

I think your on to something there. It could be one of those years that a coach thinks that a kid has the means to pay for their own college, at least for a while, and just saves the scholly till the nxt season. It's worth a shot and helps the team. I don't blame Cooper for playing poker with them. I think he wanted AU the whole time but a free ride vs. a promise of one is hard to decide--when your heart is set on the promise of one. We may have got him regardless of the offer but I'm certainly glad we antied up because I like getting in staters any time we have a chance. Our HS football doesn't seem to be on the level of 10-20 yrs ago, so we need all of the good in-state help we can get.

The Cooper thing may come back to bite a little. Not sure yet.

After talking with someone "in the know", Alabama was honestly after Cooper because he is ,"...the best current OT prospect right now." Most of the other O-lineman up for grabs are centers or guards. They apparently were looking for another body to shove in that turnstile of a RT position played by Capps and Tatum last season. If you don't know where that weakness was, simply follow Groves. He knows the way.

Shula had two other good o-lineman committed as grayshirts. One of those is a pretty good center named William Vlachos. Apparently Vlachos was a little irked that they offered Cooper, who is rated lower than him, a full scholarship and did not offer to upgarde his scholly.

Vlachos went on a visit to FSU last week. I don't know how he will pan out. While I joked that Saban made Auburn give up a full scholly to a grayshirt, Bama may have to do the same to keep Vlachos. I guess that would make the whole thing a scratch. Everyone loses a little.

PS- Can someone change my little AU fan icon by my screenname?

Archived