Will Last nights crowd change BOT's Mind on arena size?

nimsjus

Just a thought that ran through my head. I have long been a supporter of a smaller arena to make games louder and feel more crowded. Most of that was based on my experience because in my 5 years and counting at Auburn(going to Pharmacy school gives me plenty of time here on the plains), I have never seen the colliseum more than half full. After last night's standing room only crowd(which was awesome), should the BOT and JJ consider a 10-12K arena rather than the 6-10K arena they have been discussing? I know the crowds will fluctuate with the success of the program. It is difficult to guage how big to go as far as capacity when a month ago 4K people showed up to see us play #2Pitt and less for crappy games. If we can maintain large crowds, I say go bigger, but if not I would prefer smaller and more intimate. Any one else have thoughts?

Just a thought that ran through my head. I have long been a supporter of a smaller arena to make games louder and feel more crowded. Most of that was based on my experience because in my 5 years and counting at Auburn(going to Pharmacy school gives me plenty of time here on the plains), I have never seen the colliseum more than half full. After last night's standing room only crowd(which was awesome), should the BOT and JJ consider a 10-12K arena rather than the 6-10K arena they have been discussing? I know the crowds will fluctuate with the success of the program. It is difficult to guage how big to go as far as capacity when a month ago 4K people showed up to see us play #2Pitt and less for crappy games. If we can maintain large crowds, I say go bigger, but if not I would prefer smaller and more intimate. Any one else have thoughts?

it was standing room only for students. There were plenty of empty seats at half court above the students, id say at least 100. Plus there is no reason to have 10-12K seats for one or two games a year. There is no way auburn will ever maintain that many people for an entire season. I say an arena in the area of 6-8K would be perfect. Plus if people can't get tickets cause it is sold out it will only make the product that much more appealing, but first we have to continue winning. I'm proud of our guys for the way they played last night but we still have a long way to go.

I was all for 6-8 until seeing last nights crowd. I think 8-10 is now a better idea. You dont want it so limited that it becomes more hassel than it is worth. I think last nights game got over capacity. There were empty seats, but people were also two deep in some places around the entire concourse. The empty seats in the section by the students is for falculty. The biggest problem with a 6K seat arena is the the Atheletic Department will sell 2/3-3/4 of those seats leaving only 1/3-1/4 for students. Students are way more likely to attend bball games because we are close by and it is cheap for us. Other fans that buy season tickets and stuff end up not coming to crappy games/weeknight games because it isnt worth the trouble. This leaves empty seat that people would love to have. That isnt a huge issue now because we have a 10-11K seat arena, but cut that capacity almost in half and it will be a huge problem. Part of what make BEMC seem so big is the large space between the fans and the roof. A better design can make it feel more full even if it is half empty. I hope the new facility is more gymnasium/barn like and less big round arena that was popular from the 60's to 80's.

9,000 should be plenty big enough for the vast majority of our games. I'd rather have standing room only and high demand for tix than always enough room and empty seats for every game but Bama and a couple of others.

9,000 should be plenty big enough for the vast majority of our games. I'd rather have standing room only and high demand for tix than always enough room and empty seats for every game but Bama and a couple of others.

I think 9thou would be good also. Most other college areans are around that, I think, and that seems to work.

That's what I was thinking. 9000 will be plenty big. JMO, the faculty section(which was pretty much empty) should be reduced significantly and those seats added to the students.

I would think that economically, it makes more sense to go smaller. That is also true for atmosphere. If our attendance is averaging 5000 people per game, why build a 10k arena for 1 game a year, leaving 5k empty seats for every other home game?

I would say 7-8k would be perfect.

Talked to someone who has works within the athletic department today. I was told the capacity of the new arena will be in the 7,000-7,500 range.

That sounds perfect to me.

I would like to see an 8,000 to 8,500 seat arena. That way it could handle the students/faculty and the fans without driving the price of the tickets out the roof.

Just a thought.

Archived