Charles Barkley

AUChizad

So yesterday, apparently one of the big news items of the day was that Charles Barkley admitted to having a gambling problem.

He apparently said that he made $700,000 profit in Vegas last weekend from Blackjack and betting on the Colts in the Super Bowl.

JOX was going on and on about his dirty gambling vice. They were acting like he had admitted to eating babies.

Where is the controversy here?

First of all, a gambling "problem" occurs when you can't cover your debts. If Barkley was filing for bankruptcy, then yes, he would have a problem. I'm sure his bank account is more than padded enough to walk away from Vegas down by even a few million, and still go home to the same lifestyle.

That said, this story is being broken after he just came back $700,000 richer. How can that be said to be a gambling problem at all?

I know there's alot of purists on this board who are against gambling of any kind, but I think it's ridiculous that this is even a news story.

So yesterday, apparently one of the big news items of the day was that Charles Barkley admitted to having a gambling problem.

He apparently said that he made $700,000 profit in Vegas last weekend from Blackjack and betting on the Colts in the Super Bowl.

JOX was going on and on about his dirty gambling vice. They were acting like he had admitted to eating babies.

First of all, a gambling "problem" occurs when you can't cover your debts. If Barkley was filing for bankruptcy, then yes, he would have a problem. I'm sure his bank account is more than padded enough to walk away from Vegas down by even a few million, and still go home to the same lifestyle.

That said, this story is being broken after he just came back $700,000 richer. How can that be said to be a gambling problem at all?

I know there's alot of purists on this board who are against gambling of any kind, but I think it's ridiculous that this is even a news story.

And what is so ironic is that JOX runs gambling ads for football betting all the time.

I like to gamble. There is nothing wrong with gambling as long as you pay up when you lose and don't let it control your life. Gambling can be really enjoyable when treated as a hobby. Who cares if Sir Charles wins or loses millions. He has the money to do as he pleases.

This 'story' came out a while back when Sir Charles admitted that he has 'probably lost around $10 million' gambling. This was a few months ago. The story died down, and then he comes out and says that he won 'around $700,000' this weekend. He admits himself that he has a gambling problem, but he says it is only a problem when you don't have the money to lose. Basically what Chizad was saying. I don't see what the big deal is. It's his money and his life, and he can't take it when he leaves.

Now, would I want the governor of Alabama to act this way? Hell no. Even though he's an Auburn man, he'd never get my vote.

And what is so ironic is that JOX runs gambling ads for football betting all the time.

My thoughts exactly. As soon as they stop taking money from "The Bartender and the Apache," I'll accept their opinions on the evils of gambling.

Splinter in Barkley's eye? or a 2x4 in your own?

I heard that he had won $700,000 on the Super Bowl this year and lost $1 1/2 million last year. He said he knows he has a gambling problem, but sees no reason to change. Hey, as long as he can afford it, who's it hurting?

Archived