Auburn now a game out of first in division

TitanTiger

We also have the last ranked team in the SEC West at home Wed. and are at Ole Miss Sat.

6-8 and we could finish 8-8 and first in SEC West? weirder things have happened.

We also have the last ranked team in the SEC West at home Wed. and are at Ole Miss Sat.

6-8 and we could finish 8-8 and first in SEC West? weirder things have happened.

Go 8-8, then a couple of tourney wins and :au: may be in the dance.

Go 8-8, then a couple of tourney wins and :au: may be in the dance.

Tex, I think I would be very happy just to make a good run in the NIT this year. If we made the 65? I dont know what I would do....

If we made the NCAAs, that'd mean we won the SEC Tournament...outside of that, we're NIT-bound and that, while nowhere near the goal, marks progress.

We've still got an outside shot at a bye, which is just crazy to think about. This is how relentlessly mediocre the SEC West is, though:

If Mississippi State loses @ Arkansas and Ole Miss loses @ Alabama, all 6 teams in the division would have losing conference records going into the last game.

That is just bizarre to me.

If we made the NCAAs, that'd mean we won the SEC Tournament...outside of that, we're NIT-bound and that, while nowhere near the goal, marks progress.

We've still got an outside shot at a bye, which is just crazy to think about. This is how relentlessly mediocre the SEC West is, though:

If Mississippi State loses @ Arkansas and Ole Miss loses @ Alabama, all 6 teams in the division would have losing conference records going into the last game.

That is just bizarre to me.

If we win 4 more, get 20 wins, ...who knows?

But, like David, I'll be happy with the NIT.

We have to remember that State is also tied for first with Ole Miss and the Bulldogs swept us. So basically we need State to lose their last two and finish 7-9 while we win our last two and finish 8-8 since they have the tie breaker over us. I am sure three way ties could help us out, but if we finish 8-8 it's a safe bet that we won't be playing on the first day of the SEC tourney.

Anyways, I am proud of the way the team didn't quit like mostly everybody else did.

its nice to be competitive in the league standings, albeit a weird year.

both teams w/ last place records beat the league leaders yesterday.

we've looked like a young team this year, with blowout losses, and tough road wins.

bodes well for our hopes in the future!!

Am I imagining this, but didn't the NIT change the number of teams it invites this year? A friend of mine told me that it was tougher to get into now because they take less teams and also some small conference champions get automatic invites if they don't get into the NCAA. Is that true?

If a regular season champion of a conference doesn't qualify for the NCAAs, then they are guaranteed a bid to the NIT.

The field is reduced to 32 this year from 40.

So, assuming we don't win the conference tourney, we should root for all of the regular season champs in the small conferences to win their conference tournaments. The only small conference team that I see getting into the NCAAs without winning their tournament is Winthrop.

Well, boys and girls, if :au: can win at Ole Miss, we'll get a bye in the SEC tournament. If we win and (gulp) :ua: wins @ :msu: , then we get the West #1 seed.

For some reason, that just amuses me more than anything else.

Here are the SEC West standings as of tonight:

* Auburn 7-8

* Alabama 7-8

* Ole Miss 7-8

* MSU 7-8

* Arkansas 6-9

* LSU 4-11

LMAO.

Mediocrity is being polite.

It has already been mention in the "What does tonight mean??" thread, but you know it's crazy when AU can win the division with a win over Ole Miss and a win by Bama over MSU.

It has already been mention in the "What does tonight mean??" thread, but you know it's crazy when AU can win the division with a win over Ole Miss and a win by Bama over MSU.

I hope that happens. Then ya'll can pull for the Bammers.... :cheer::big: All right. Let's practice. Rolllllll Tide!!!

Ole Miss and MSU will get the byes.

Neither one of us will win Saturday. Although, I will say... how Ole Miss has gone 7-8 this year is beyond me. They looked pathetic tonight against a Steele-less Tide. I really thought we were going to lose going in.

I hope that happens. Then ya'll can pull for the Bammers.... :cheer::big: All right. Let's practice. Rolllllll Tide!!!

No, we'll be pulling against MSU. Sorry, there's just no way I can pull for SPUAT.

Ole Miss and MSU will get the byes.

Neither one of us will win Saturday. Although, I will say... how Ole Miss has gone 7-8 this year is beyond me. They looked pathetic tonight against a Steele-less Tide. I really thought we were going to lose going in.

I like your optimism. :poke: But, I do understand how you feel. It's funny, it's all about expectations. You guys expected to be a top ten team, and we expected nothing. You're down and we're ecstatic. Gottfried just doesn't seem to get the hustle out of your guys. They just don't seem hungry.

:ua: - :msu: is Sunday, btw.

We can win the :sec: West if we win and :msu: loses.

That would be great, hysterical, scary at the same time. We barely have a team assembled now, and win the West?

All I can say is: War Damn Lebo!

That would be great, hysterical, scary at the same time. We barely have a team assembled now, and win the West?

Wouldn't it be funny if Auburn got into the NCAA and SPUAT didn't?

After all the Bama hype and all the public denigration of AU basketball, that would be hilarious.

Would someone explain to me why after playing in the SEC, beating Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Bama TWICE, South Carolina and Arkansas, why are the RPI ratings like this?

RPI Rankings

Up 3 From Last Week 8 Tennessee

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,29 Vanderbilt

Up 4 From Last Week 38 Alabama

Up 5 From Last Week 56 Arkansas

........................64 Mississippi

Down 7 From Last Week 91 South Carolina

Down 11 From Last Week 96 LSU

Down 7 From Last Week 111 Auburn

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Who else in the nation played...

UF

Wisconsin

Pittsburgh

Oklahoma State

Texas A&M

Vanderbilt

UT

UK

UGA

+ the SEC West

????

It's a dirty rotten shame that we're not getting credit for playing tough OOC games. We could've dropped Wisconsin and Okie State, and it STILL would've been a tough OOC schedule AND we might have won 19-20 games.

After all the Bama hype and all the public denigration of AU basketball, that would be hilarious.

Would someone explain to me why after playing in the SEC, beating Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Bama TWICE, South Carolina and Arkansas, why are the RPI ratings like this?

RPI Rankings

Up 3 From Last Week 8 Tennessee

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,29 Vanderbilt

Up 4 From Last Week 38 Alabama

Up 5 From Last Week 56 Arkansas

........................64 Mississippi

Down 7 From Last Week 91 South Carolina

Down 11 From Last Week 96 LSU

Down 7 From Last Week 111 Auburn

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

There is a pint in which your RPI is a function of other teams you played LOSING. If they are dropping games, it drops our RPI as well. Other teams are playing bigger games now. We are plying in the SEC West. The games are only big to us, not the rest of the nation.

So basically once again playing uat is hurting our strength of schedule.

More than anything, losses to teams like LSU and Arkansas hurt.

Archived