OT: Baseball team unloading on So. Alabama

To all of you who thought that Slater should be fired after loosing an extra inning game to Lipscomb by one run in sub-freezing weather, Auburn is unloading on South Alabama 17-4 in the Top of the 7th and is about to move to 10-1 on the year with a MASSIVE series with Arizona State looming next weekend. And in 6 of those 10 wins, the Tigers have scored 10 or more runs and have allowed 5 or more runs in just 4 games so far with South Alabama having scored 4 today. :cheer:

Who thought Slater should be fired because of that loss to Lipscomb?

I just remember seeing some post that Slater needed to be let go because they didn't think the team was going in the right direction.

Guest BoStillKnows

It looks like the team, and the program, are going in the right direction. Arizona State and the SEC schedule will tell the tale.

Who thought Slater should be fired because of that loss to Lipscomb?

I just remember seeing some post that Slater needed to be let go because they didn't think the team was going in the right direction.

After the Lipscomb game? On this board? I thought maybe my memory was failing me so I went back to check the Lipscomb thread and I only saw a couple of posts of disbelief that we got beat by them, but nobody calling for Slater to be fired or any type of doom and gloom stuff. You must be getting confused with some other board. You Irish and your tall tales. :poke:

Now, I do remember there some negative things said about Slater in the past couple of years and some calling for his head. Heck, I may have been one of them because I remember being pretty ticked off over some silly loses and big blowouts. We were not playing AU baseball like we were accustomed too. So you are correct in remembering some of us being pretty negative in the past, but we should know better then to be like that to a coach that is new. He needs the time to build up the team in his "image". I am optimistic about this year, but also very guarded because we have not gotten to the tougher part of the schedule yet.

But, hey, there was a lot of us ticked at CTT his first few years also, so it happens. He made most of us change our tune also, so here is hoping Coach Slater does the same thing.

Slater's an amazing recruiter. Seems to be developing that talent very well also. Theres a lot of good young players competing for positions now. Too much pressure can be bad, but I think that competetiveness helps keep them motivated, working hard, and playing well.

Is South Alabama worth ****?

historically they have had very good teams. we'll see as this year goes on whether they have another solid team or if this is an aberration.

Is South Alabama worth ****?

You don't watch or keep up with college baseball much do you? :lol:

As Aubie16 said, they normally have had very good teams. Dating back to the late 80's and on, they have usually been very competitive at their level. They were one of the schools I was looking at when I graduated before my dad and I decided the JUCO route was the best for me at first.

I'm sorry I just ment that not just to this board in general but to anyone who thinks he isn't doing a good job. I have always been a fan of CTS and think he has done a great job of getting this team back on his feet after CSR just quit recruiting. Come out this weekend for a HUGE series with a powerhouse team, Arizona State!

There were several posters who were disheartened after the season we had last year. If a baseball coach can be in "hot" water, Slater was getting pretty warm at the end of the season last year.

However, I will say that if our current momentum continues, he has MORE than redeemed himself. We are freaking AWESOME this year.

Archived