Was Lebo the right choice?

Legionfield

I know everyone is jacked about Jeff Lebo, but I think now, and at the time, Auburn should have hired Mike Anderson. I think he is a much better coach than Gottfried or Lebo. I wish we would go after him. What do ya'll think? He beat Kentucky with UAB!!! UAB has less talent than Auburn or Alabama. I couldn't understand why Auburn didn't jump on him. Can you imagine what Anderson would have done with your team of "track stars". Auburn would "get off the bus pressing". Do ya'll have any insight as to why he was not chosen. I remember that Auburn talked to him. Just wondering..... :)

Oh well. Maybe we will go after him when Gottfried gets fired.

If I remember AU wanted to hire him and there was something flukey about Ed Richardson wanting him to come on campus for an interview and him not wanting to. I know there is more to it than that but I am not sure.

Is Lebo the right choice? I don't know. They definetly made strides this year and looks as if things are headed in the right direction.

I think Lebo is the right guy. He has been able to weather a pretty good storm so far. Let's see in two seasons.

If I remember AU wanted to hire him and there was something flukey about Ed Richardson wanting him to come on campus for an interview and him not wanting to. I know there is more to it than that but I am not sure.

I seem to remember that.

I think Lebo is the right guy. He has been able to weather a pretty good storm so far. Let's see in two seasons.

Yeah. It is still early, I just miss watching Mike Anderson's teams play. I wish one of the state schools could have gotten him. I really wish we could get him, but I think Gottfried will have display his abilities for another year or two before we run him off. :thumbsdown:

I think Lebo is a great hire. I just don't see a team like Anderson's to be able to make a legitimate, consistent run at any tournament. That type of play you need very special players and there just aren't that many out there. (Although I love the style of play and do like Mike Anderson).

Lebo has weathered the storm so far. And many in the non-biased circles have said he is an incredible coach that knows his x's and o's. He comes from championship teams and knows what it takes to win <--- that is a huge advantage. I think his style of play has the right balance of the "speed" kills type of play and the physical aggressive inside play. With the signing of Tyrell Lynch I think this team will only get better next year.

I said at the beginning of the year we should make the NIT. I think next year we will be a bubble team and then the next be strong mid to high seed in the tournament. (this is barring any big injuries or the such).

I think Lebo is a great hire. I just don't see a team like Anderson's to be able to make a legitimate, consistent run at any tournament. That type of play you need very special players and there just aren't that many out there. (Although I love the style of play and do like Mike Anderson).

Lebo has weathered the storm so far. And many in the non-biased circles have said he is an incredible coach that knows his x's and o's. He comes from championship teams and knows what it takes to win <--- that is a huge advantage. I think his style of play has the right balance of the "speed" kills type of play and the physical aggressive inside play. With the signing of Tyrell Lynch I think this team will only get better next year.

I said at the beginning of the year we should make the NIT. I think next year we will be a bubble team and then the next be strong mid to high seed in the tournament. (this is barring any big injuries or the such).

Speed is something that Auburn has. I remember the game in Auburn the kid that took it coast-to-coast in like 2 seconds. He was fast!!! :eek2:

Lebo is absolutely the right man at Auburn. Look what he inherited coming in. He had to basically eliminate the problem players and start with basically nothing. He's made improvements every year and I hope he's at Auburn for a very long time. The new arena comes in 3-4 years and we should be able to compete with anybody by then, add in the new arena, and I'm very excited about our program now. The main thing missing this season was a big man underneath. If we had a 6'10" or so man, with the speed we have at the forward and guard positions we could have really run some teams to death with the transition game.

Lebo is absolutely the right man at Auburn. Look what he inherited coming in. He had to basically eliminate the problem players and start with basically nothing. He's made improvements every year and I hope he's at Auburn for a very long time. The new arena comes in 3-4 years and we should be able to compete with anybody by then, add in the new arena, and I'm very excited about our program now. The main thing missing this season was a big man underneath. If we had a 6'10" or so man, with the speed we have at the forward and guard positions we could have really run some teams to death with the transition game.

good point.

I think a lot of people still associate Anderson with Nolan Richardson, who he was an asst coach with. Back at this time, there were a lot of issues with the Richardsons. The son brought a gun to practice etc. I think people just wanted to distance themselves. I think with Auburn's problems with the basketball program, they wanted someone with an impecable past and not someone that may, and i mean may, have skeletons in the closet. Also, I think Lebo will build a more consistent program than the up and downs Anderson had. Anderson had one good year where his team really clicked. The others have been mediocre. I think Auburn and Alabama both would beat UAB easily these days. I was not impressed with the last couple of years teams.

I think a lot of people still associate Anderson with Nolan Richardson, who he was an asst coach with. Back at this time, there were a lot of issues with the Richardsons. The son brought a gun to practice etc. I think people just wanted to distance themselves. I think with Auburn's problems with the basketball program, they wanted someone with an impecable past and not someone that may, and i mean may, have skeletons in the closet. Also, I think Lebo will build a more consistent program than the up and downs Anderson had. Anderson had one good year where his team really clicked. The others have been mediocre. I think Auburn and Alabama both would beat UAB easily these days. I was not impressed with the last couple of years teams.

you may be right.

When the search was going on I was all for Mike Anderson. I think at the time he was obviously the better/more prominent coach. He lead UAB to multiple tourney's and one pretty good run(I forget how far-32 or 16?). I disagree with whoever said his style could not win championships because as was later pointed out he ripped the style from his mentor, Nolan Richardson, who used it to turn Arkansas into a national power for a few years and brought home a national title. I also agree that Auburn's current roster(and future recruits) would have been a perfect fit for the "fastest ?? minutes of basketball" style that Anderson ran. Lastly, I thought Anderson would have probably been able to salvage the situations with Killingsworth (and was it Monroe that left also for Indy?), which would have made our short term situation much easier. In the long term we may have continued our less than moral ways too. I also felt like he would have been a great in state recruiter because of connections made at UAB and him being an African American in coach in a sport where 99% of college/pro players are also African American. All that said, I am happy to have Lebo and I think he has built our program the right way. He ran off the garbage, built from the bottom up (rather than trying to fill gaps with jucos), and has the guys playing hard/with intensity. I also really like his coaching pedigree (hard to go wrong with one of Dean Smith's boys), which I am sure influences his coaching style and x's/o's. I was dissapointed about Anderson at first, but I got on the Lebo bandwagon his first year when I saw a bunch of rag tags that noone wanted, running around making plays that talent wise they had no business making. I knew his teams would overachieve(based on effort) until the point where we started to get our talent back up. I think that is pretty much exactly what has happened so far.

I said that. But I went on to say that it would take very special players... and there are just not that many out there. I knew that Arky won a nc out of the style.

From an LSU fans standpoint, it's too early to tell. This is the WORST year the west has had in a while and really no team in the west has a standout coach. I'm iterested to see what Lebo can do when LSU and Bama are at their best.

From an LSU fans standpoint, it's too early to tell. This is the WORST year the west has had in a while and really no team in the west has a standout coach. I'm iterested to see what Lebo can do when LSU and Bama are at their best.

And I'm interested in seeing what Lebo can do when AU is at their best. He's still 2 years away from having a senior-laden team. I thought the Lebo hire was a good one from the day they announced it. No question he knows how to coach and get the most out of the players he has. Keeping him here at AU after he starts having greater success will be the tricky part.

My .02 Lebo was a near perfect hire.

Without going into the whole history, we had problems with Ellis that were deep. He had basically let go of the day to day running of the team. We had head cases and fools on the team and they were running the show. Ellis was working on a CD, believe it or not.

The team was almost a lost cause and then the NCAA Investigation happened. Now, I feel that the whole Kamarra? was completely bogus, but it got the PTB to look at Ellis and realize that he wasnt even close to being in control.

We fire him and end up with Lebo from UTC. Now Lebo cleaned house. Ran off the riff raff. Got some good kids and has bulit the foundation of a great team for in the future.

In essence, I think he was a great hire. He was a McDonald's AA and played for Dean Smith. He was a free throw shooting wiz and knew that the deal includes going to class too. I have supported him from day one and still think he is the ideal candidate for AU.

He could go back home and become "the Next Dean Smith." Or stay in Auburn and become "the First Jeff Lebo." Yes, he is THAT good.

I dont really think this is the worst year for the west. I just think that the teams at the bottom have caught up to those at the top so there is just a really competetive division.

As far as Anderson goes, is there a chance that we really might not have been able to get him? I mean I really dont know but at the time UAB had a much better bb program than we did and he may have been looking for a bigger job at the time like the one he has now.

I dont really think this is the worst year for the west. I just think that the teams at the bottom have caught up to those at the top so there is just a really competetive division.

As far as Anderson goes, is there a chance that we really might not have been able to get him? I mean I really dont know but at the time UAB had a much better bb program than we did and he may have been looking for a bigger job at the time like the one he has now.

Listen, when Ole Miss is at the top of the division, the west is having a VERY off year. Please tell me one team in the west that could do **** in the ncaa tournament. I thought so.

Listen, when Ole Miss is at the top of the division, the west is having a VERY off year. Please tell me one team in the west that could do **** in the ncaa tournament. I thought so.

I agree with you Tigerbait, the West is just so average it is sad really. Ole Miss is leading the divison with a first year head coach while LSU who went to the Final Four last year is in last place.

I agree with you Tigerbait, the West is just so average it is sad really. Ole Miss is leading the divison with a first year head coach while LSU who went to the Final Four last year is in last place.

Well, is their any team in the west that you honestly think would win a tournament game IF they even got to go. I'm really interseted to your answer. By the way, LSU is a whole different team from last year with the same sucky coach still there. YES, the west is having a very down year. If you disagree, let me hear why cause I don't see one stadout team in the division this year.

Well, is their any team in the west that you honestly think would win a tournament game IF they even got to go. I'm really interseted to your answer. By the way, LSU is a whole different team from last year with the same sucky coach still there. YES, the west is having a very down year. If you disagree, let me hear why cause I don't see one stadout team in the division this year.

yes and no. I believe if the WEST were to get multiple teams in the NCAA's then, YES i believe at least ONE of them would win one game. Ole Miss, Miss. State, uat and Auburn could all win a first round game, if the stars aligned properly. However, the issue is will the west even get any teams into the ncaa tournament. My opinion right now is NO....

If Gottfired could get all that talent to play to their full potential, then yes I do believe their would be a team who'd win a game in the tournament, BUT that's a huge if. No way Miss. State or Ole Piss would win a game in the tourney. Auburn, I'm not sure about you guys. You've had too any ups and downs at this point.

yes and no. I believe if the WEST were to get multiple teams in the NCAA's then, YES i believe at least ONE of them would win one game. Ole Miss, Miss. State, uat and Auburn could all win a first round game, if the stars aligned properly. However, the issue is will the west even get any teams into the ncaa tournament. My opinion right now is NO....

If Gottfired could get all that talent to play to their full potential, then yes I do believe their would be a team who'd win a game in the tournament, BUT that's a huge if. No way Miss. State or Ole Piss would win a game in the tourney. Auburn, I'm not sure about you guys. You've had too any ups and downs at this point.

oops, didn't know how I did that. :lol: My reply is one of those quotes.

So the LSU coach that took a team last year to the Final 4 sucks? I will admit something is not right with LSU sucking so bad this year. I doubt any team in the West could get out of the first of round of the NCAA with a W, we will see in the NIT as there may be 3 or 4 teams from the West in it, AU, MSU, Ole Miss, and bama.

I agree with DKW, I think as I did from the get go that Lebo was a great hire. This year and next, if he can recruit a couple of athletic big men to complement the athletic and speedy forwards and guards, watch out for the Tigers. I do think he can bring AU back to being competitive year in and year out in the SEC with opportunities to go to the NCAA tourney

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTT!

Archived