UGA Game 3

I understand where you are coming from, but it seems like we have been on this same ride before.

I don't think we started the preseason 18-3 any of the rides you're thinking of.

CircleDrill summed it up perfectly.

I don't think we started the preseason 18-3 any of the rides you're thinking of.

But we didn't beat anybody.

Auburn went 17-3 in pre-conference play this year. The highest ranked team we played was Arizona State (#17)

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/currentisr.html

3 wins vs Hofstra - rank: 198

1 loss vs Lipscomb - rank: 99

3 wins vs UNC-G'boro - rank: 146

1 win vs Jacksonville - rank: 147

1 win vs Michigan St - rank: 125

1 win @ S. Alabama - rank: 87

1 win vs Samford - rank: 102

2 wins 1 loss vs Arizona State - rank: 17

1 win vs Davidson - rank: 192

3 wins vs Purdue - rank: 61

1 win, 1 loss vs VMI - rank: 49

The schedule isn't terrible, but Auburn had no early road tests (namely because AU's facilities are great and we have such good February weather) - Georgia's RPI is 100th, while Auburn is 26th.

Other SEC schools:

Alabama - 112

Arkansas - 20

Ole Miss - 12

LSU - 42

Miss State - 38

Florida - 122

Kentucky - 41

Tennessee - 135

South Carolina - 4

Vanderbilt - 1

We're not that great. Face it.

I understand where you are coming from, but it seems like we have been on this same ride before.

March 18, 2004

AUBURN - The seventh-ranked Auburn baseball team opens Southeastern Conference action this weekend when it hosts Kentucky at Samford Stadium-Hitchcock Field at Plainsman Park for a three-game baseball series. The Tigers (16-3) and Wildcats (12-5) will play Friday at 6:30 p.m., Saturday at 3 p.m. and Sunday at 12:15 p.m.

May 23, 2004

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - The Auburn baseball team concluded its regular season schedule on Sunday with a 15-3 loss to No. 12 Arkansas before 7,118 fans at Baum Stadium. The rubber game victory improved the Razorbacks record to 37-19 and 19-11 in the SEC. Auburn fell to 32-24 and 12-18.

We did start 16-3 and rose to #7 in the nation in 2004 and then went 12-18 in SEC play and missed the SEC Tourney.

I know that was with Renfroe and a different group of guys, but this season reminds me a bit of that one.

Note: I still have high hopes for this team and think they turn it around and make the SEC Tourney. But I can see why some people would have their doubts.

Boys the sky isn't caving in... it's just mid March. If we end up with a losing conference record and miss the SEC tourney, then it's time to start questioning the direction of the program. Now is not that time... get behind the Tigers and see what plays out. This team can be fun to watch, as we saw in the Purdue and ASU series.

But we didn't beat anybody.

We beat the best teams we have played so far.

If you want to say "we didn't beat anybody" than I will say we haven't played anybody, but we did beat the best team we have played so far.

If you then want to say we lost to a weak team in UGA. I will say you are right, and read my above post.

We're not that great. Face it.

I disagree. This is the best Auburn team we have had in a while. One of the best with the bats. One of the best on the mound. One of the best on the field. Put that all together = one of the best overall teams we have had recently.

I don't know if they overachieved in pre-conference play. But one thing I do know is they will win a whole lot more games this year. If I had told you before the season that we would have lost so few games going into SEC play, you would have said I was crazy. Now, I am telling you that we have a good team and we are going to win a whole lot more games than we lose this year, you think I'm crazy as well.

Baseball is not football guys. You are just not going to win them all. Losing to a team you should beat does not mean their program is superior to yours like it does in football. It simply means you didn't get the job done on that day.

Relax and enjoy having a great Auburn baseball team in 2007.

And one more thing.... Some of you have also played baseball either in high school or college. So you know that a baseball season is a grind, not a sprint. Last weekend, our guys finished FIVE weeks of 4-5 games per week (plus they are students too), and one of our key players was out for all 3 games. This week, there are NO MID-WEEK GAMES. It's no accident that this little "break" came at the time it did. Somebody working out the schedule did that on purpose.

I would expect our team to come out of this little "break" ready to go against Florida.

On the other hand, if we take 2/3 from the Gayters, things will suddenly be looking up again and we'll say that we seem to be back on track.

COME ON TIGERS...CHOMP DEM' NASTY, SCALEY, SMELLY OLE' GAYTERS!!!

WAAAAARRRRRR EAGLE! :cheer::au::cheer:

On the other hand, if we take 2/3 from the Gayters, things will suddenly be looking up again and we'll say that we seem to be back on track.

COME ON TIGERS...CHOMP DEM' NASTY, SCALEY, SMELLY OLE' GAYTERS!!!

WAAAAARRRRRR EAGLE! :cheer::au::cheer:

What he said.

To say we had not played anybody before the Georgia serious shows a lack of knowledge of the college baseball season thus far. We played plenty of decent teams before UGA! Arizona St. was the best team we played and a highly ranked team, but let's not forget that some of those lower tier teams we beat had better records then UGA did when playing against lower tier teams. So logically, we should not have gotten swept by Georgia.

So, the question is, what happened to us this past weekend? I played college ball and I know how grueling the season can be, but I also know that if we were swept in a series by a team that we should have been able to have handled very easily, Coach Fred Frickie would have rode our butts all the way back home on the bus and next day's practice would have been a crash course in the basics of baseball.

Do I think the season is over? No way. I think we have the talent to shake this off and dominate the rest of the season. However, talent will only get you so far if you are not mentally strong enough to do it, both from the players and the coaches. That mental preparation is the coach's job, so lets see how the team responds.

I would not be so skeptical if not for the past two seasons. But, I am willing to give Coach Slater the benefit of the doubt right now. I think it is a bit early in the season and also just ridiculous to be calling for Coach Slater's head.

Honestly, with the week off, I am looking for us to take at least 2/3 from a struggling UF team. A sweep would be even nicer, but when it comes to the SEC, a sweep is supposed to be hard to come by.

Archived