Stanley gets his walking papers

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Andy Katz sez...

The University of Arkansas has fired head basketball coach Stan Heath.

Heath will get a $900,000 settlement over three years. Arkansas went 21-14 this season, winning 20 games for the second straight season under Heath but also losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament for the second straight year.

Heath was told of the decision after a meeting Monday with athletic director Frank Broyles. Broyles is retiring at the end of the school year.

Not sure where I stand on this one. I really had thought he was a pretty good hire from the onset. I know a lot of the piggies didn't like him. I think Frank and Dale are gonna have to be gone before things start calming down. If Dale would have gotten the axe this year then I think Heath would have been spared. They needed a bloody hatchet from someone's neck.

Guest Tigrinum Major

You realize Frank is a dead man walking, right? He's gone at the end of the year.

The next coach at Fayetteville? Katz is saying they are going after Billy Gillespie at Texas A&M.

You realize Frank is a dead man walking, right? He's gone at the end of the year.

The next coach at Fayetteville? Katz is saying they are going after Billy Gillespie at Texas A&M.

I know Arky is a far better program tradition-wise when it comes to hoops. But A&M is one school that can dish out some serious cash when they want someone. With the program Gillespe has built there, I imagine they're going to at least try and do what they can to keep him.

So, any guess where Heath lands? What other vacancies are out there already that he could be a candidate for. Now that we are down to the Final Four, I expect we will hear some more vacancies coming open withing the next couple of days.

What are you guys hearing about Gottfried? How secure is he? His popularity is so up and down at UAT, I really don't know where he stands.

I always thought Stan was a hack, and his teams just didn't look focused or well coached for the most part. It will be interesting to see who they go after, Broyles will probably hire another hack and stick the new AD with a lame duck coach just to be spiteful.

I would fully expect to see the Hogs go after Mike Anderson.

I would expect the same thing. However, he is big buds with Nolan Richardson and he'll steer him away from the job.

Archived