AU family Pet Thread

WarTiger

Yeah, Harley has a daschund face. Oscar's dad was a mini and his mom was a toy, and we got him from that litter. I don't know that I would attribute all that to the beagle. Oscar is very hard headed(refuses to leave the trash cans alone) but he is very spoiled. Like I said I always had big dogs growing up and never thought I would like a small inside dog but he is the best. Good to know about Duke, we have been thinking about getting a schnauzer, but have been curious as to what kind of temperament they have.

My wife had two full-blooded schnauzers when we married, but she left them with her dad to keep him company. She is a big schnauzer lover and with as much as I have been around them also, they seem to be very good dogs. They love to play and are very loving dogs. They are also very easy to house train. Harley is a few months older then Duke (both are about 3 years old) and she will still have "accidents", whereas Duke will hold it in no matter how long it has been since we took them outside to potty. I can't even remember the last time Duke had an accident because it has been so long.

I haven't been around schnauzers a lot. My wife used to have one but that was many, many moons ago. I think we have narrowed it down to a dog like duke or another daschund. I think the schnauzers are pretty cool dogs. Daschunds are pretty hard to house train, Oscar was almost 2 before he stopped having "accidents" and now that we have moved into a new house we have found evidence of a couple of "accidents" and he is now a little over 3.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was dating my wife, she had gotten one of the two schnauzers I mentioned as a pup. As I recall, she had no problem potty training it all. Duke was very easy also, so if I was to be looking for a new addition to the family, it would probably be another schnauzer since they seem to be very easy to train and they are not destructive either.

• 1 month later...

Ok. Here we are again. Our newest Addition. Just picked her up today.

Meet Opal. She goes along with our other Cat (rhiannon) and our two standard poodles (susie and Pierre)

We felt out of balance. We had a black cat and a black standard poodle. Then we adopted Pierre (a white standard poodle) so we had to get the white cat (well mostly white) to balance out the pack. LOL. Only thing is Pierre remains the only male in the group.

opal2ak4.jpg

opal3ej0.jpg

opalfaceaq4.jpg

This is Lola. My fiance and I picked her up in Vestavia yesterday, she turns 8 weeks on monday.

n7006976_37582561_3225.jpg

n7006976_37587371_4677.jpg

n7006976_37582562_3483.jpg

n7006976_37582567_4685.jpg

This is Lola. My fiance and I picked her up in Vestavia yesterday, she turns 8 weeks on monday.

n7006976_37582561_3225.jpg

n7006976_37587371_4677.jpg

n7006976_37582562_3483.jpg

n7006976_37582567_4685.jpg

Good looking pup… the Kinks and Sarah Vaughan would be proud of her name!

Good looking pup… the Kinks and Sarah Vaughan would be proud of her name!

Thanks, She's actually named for a Jimmy Buffett song, our next animal is slated to be named Frankie.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, Harley has a daschund face. Oscar's dad was a mini and his mom was a toy, and we got him from that litter. I don't know that I would attribute all that to the beagle. Oscar is very hard headed(refuses to leave the trash cans alone) but he is very spoiled. Like I said I always had big dogs growing up and never thought I would like a small inside dog but he is the best. Good to know about Duke, we have been thinking about getting a schnauzer, but have been curious as to what kind of temperament they have.

My wife had two full-blooded schnauzers when we married, but she left them with her dad to keep him company. She is a big schnauzer lover and with as much as I have been around them also, they seem to be very good dogs. They love to play and are very loving dogs. They are also very easy to house train. Harley is a few months older then Duke (both are about 3 years old) and she will still have "accidents", whereas Duke will hold it in no matter how long it has been since we took them outside to potty. I can't even remember the last time Duke had an accident because it has been so long.

I haven't been around schnauzers a lot. My wife used to have one but that was many, many moons ago. I think we have narrowed it down to a dog like duke or another daschund. I think the schnauzers are pretty cool dogs. Daschunds are pretty hard to house train, Oscar was almost 2 before he stopped having "accidents" and now that we have moved into a new house we have found evidence of a couple of "accidents" and he is now a little over 3.

Here's a pic of that husky/chow/mutt mix that AUTiger1 was talking about...

taffy3.JPG

RIP Taffy.

Oh, yeah...me and AUTiger1 are brothers..

OK. Here's a picture of each of our fur family.... In the order in which we got them:

PART 1:

RHIANNON (July 2006) got her at 8 weeks old, so she's 2

rhiannoneaster2008scaleft5.jpg

SUSIE (August 2006) got her at 2 years old, she's 4

1000285dg3.jpg

PIERRE (March 2008) 7 months old in this pic....just turned a year old july 5th

sidebestwd0.jpg

PART 2

OPAL (May 2008) not sure how old she is, but guessing around 18 months

1000244ga6.jpg

And Lastly NICO (June 2008)

First at 9 weeks on JUNE 1...22.5 lbs.

nicokitchensk1.jpg

2 of NICO at 16 weeks old - 39 lbs.

1000819aw9.jpg

1000820oy9.jpg

It's a crowded house, but tons of fun...

Here's my boy Duke. He's getting his boys lopped off today so keep both he and I in your prayers :)

His best impression of an Alabama football player

IMG_5346.jpg

At Halloween

IMG_4200.jpg

IMG_4211.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

He loves playing in the sand with the kids

IMG_5356.jpg

Some more from our recent canoe trip

What's for lunch?

P1010028.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010051.jpg

Here are a few recent pics of our little fella.

I present to you Alexander Hamilton, Hammy for short...

You need an Aaron Burr to complete the set. :big:

• 3 months later...

Technically, Roxie was adopted by my fiance, but I still take credit because we live together and both take care of her.

She is soooo energetic and I have never met a dog with as much energy and such a fun and loving personality. All she wants to do is lick people - whether she knows them or not. Definitely not a guard dog, but a heck of a lot of fun.

She is as much of a mut as a dog can be - we had a blood test and they had no major trait, although they mentioned German Shepherd, Husky, and some other German/Bulgarian/ or Belgium thing (I forget). We claim she is mostly Australian Kelpie and German Shepherd. So beautiful.

This is her on the beach, right after I proposed to Melissa. Thankfully, Roxie didn't have diarrhea this time (bad case earlier in the vacation, apparently the Salt water isn't good for her!)

n12803794_34166586_4978.jpg

aumd03, there is now way either one of my dogs would stay in that canoe. Duke would not be able to resist going for a swim.

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to post pics of our newest Lilly. She and Lola are growing to be best friends after a slightly rocky start........

n7002457_39667101_7068.jpg

n7002457_40032384_2884.jpg

n7002457_40032389_3047.jpg

Is she a brittany? I kept one for my neighbor for about six months several years ago and absolutely love those dogs.

yeah, she's a brittany........I'm a deer hunter with a thing for bird dogs. She's great, i've never met anyone who owned brittany's or gsp's that ever had a bad thing to say about either. I think Britttany's tend to be a little calmer but that is relative i guess. I don't think i could ever have a dog that is just content lying on the couch all day, i love that they are hyper and always ready to go do something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My dog Gizmo He is a orpei a mix between a sharpei and a pug..

I wish I had a video camera to post a vid of him when I ask him what Auburn is gonna do to those roll tides He gets mad and starts growling and barking....

P5230024.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived