Billy Gillispie reportedly headed to Kentucky

Source: Wildcats to introduce Gillispie on Friday

Kentucky has announced it will hold "a pep rally and a press conference" Friday afternoon to announce the hiring of the program's 21st head coach. And according to a source at Kentucky, Texas A&M coach Billy Gillispie is the man the Wildcats will introduce to Big Blue Nation.

Kentucky honed in on Gillispie to replace Tubby Smith at the end of a whirlwind Thursday that began with a rebuff from Florida's Billy Donovan and included Texas coach Rick Barnes withdrawing his name from consideration. Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart asked for and received permission to talk to Gillispie on Thursday night, according to Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne.

"Coach Gillispie is one of the top coaches in the country, and we certainly do not want to lose him," Byrne said in a statement released by the school Thursday night. "At the same time, I don't want to stand in the way of anyone in the department who wants to explore another option if he or she feels it's in his best interest."

Gillispie was supposed to be en route Friday to Los Angeles for the John Wooden Award celebration Saturday. The Aggies' Acie Law IV is one of five finalists.

A source close to Gillispie told ESPN.com late Thursday night that Gillispie would accept the Kentucky job if it is offered.

Gillispie recently agreed to a lucrative contract extension with A&M after being wooed by Arkansas, but he did not sign the deal. According to one report at the time A&M and Gillispie verbally agreed to to the extension, the new deal was going to pay the coach about $2 million annually, making him the highest paid of his Big 12 peers.

His name had been on the "B" list of candidates from the beginning at Kentucky after Smith unexpectedly resigned March 22 to take the job at Minnesota.

Kentucky's clear first choice was Donovan, who would not consider the job until after his Florida Gators won the national title Monday night. Thursday morning, Donovan met with Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley, and the school announced around noon that Donovan would remain in Gainesville.

Later Thursday afternoon, speculation moved to Barnes as Kentucky's top choice. But by early evening he had withdrawn his name, saying he would stay at Texas. Sources have given conflicting information about whether Barnes decided he was not interested on his own, or if he learned that he was not at the top of Kentucky's list.

Gillispie has worked a swift makeover at Texas A&M, going 70-26 in three seasons at a school that had little history of success. The 2006-07 Aggies went 27-7, earning a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament and reaching the Sweet 16. It was the school's first Sweet 16 birth since 1980.

Prior to that, Gillispie was the head coach at UTEP for two years, and he previously worked as the lead assistant to Bill Self at Tulsa and Illinois.

Other names believed to be on the Kentucky list were Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Marquette's Tom Crean.

Barnhart and Byrne have a long history together. Barnhart worked under Byrne at Oregon in 1983 and considers him something of a mentor. Byrne's son, Greg, worked under Barnhart at Kentucky for a couple of years, and Bill Byrne helped facilitate the hiring of former Oregon coach Rich Brooks as the UK football coach in 2002, after Barnhart had struck out on several other candidates.

Link

Good hire I think, if the man can make Texas A&M a top 10 team then he should be able to work a little magic at Kentucky.

I figured UK would have a new coach soon. Billy G didn't make too many friends at TAMU by leaving the new contract unsigned and on the table, but I think he made the right move. His work ethic will definitely fit in with the expectations at Kentucky.

I figured UK would have a new coach soon. Billy G didn't make too many friends at TAMU by leaving the new contract unsigned and on the table, but I think he made the right move. His work ethic will definitely fit in with the expectations at Kentucky.

yeah tough for TAM, but thats how it goes when you are that kind of program. Hopefully now that theyve had some success they can hire another descent coach and work their way up to the top consistently.

the more i read about the guy, the more i think he is a perfect fit for kentucky (way more so than Rick Barnes, maybe even more than Donovan...maybe)

i like him. his work at TAMU speaks for itself, and the cats need someone who can get them playing UK basketball. who's going to win in a showdown though: billy g. vs. billy d.

i like him. his work at TAMU speaks for itself, and the cats need someone who can get them playing UK basketball. who's going to win in a showdown though: billy g. vs. billy d.

Oh no, don't let the Daves get a hold of that one.

Oh no, don't let the Daves get a hold of that one.

i actually thought the same thing when i was typing that.

Archived