AU vs UA Game 3

Getting started here in about 10 minutes. It would be nice for our tournament chances to take this last one from UAT. The next couple of weekends will be tough.

Our starting pitching was pitiful today and add to that our poor play in in the field. Every outfielder knows if the ball is in the grass and you have half a shot at getting the ball you call off the infield. That is little league wisdom. Give some credit to the :ua: bats though. They came out swinging. Most of their hits were what we used to call "Judy's" but they still count as a hit in the books. Atleast we took a series.

Well, one look at the SEC standings and you can see why it is probably one of if not the toughest baseball conference in the country. As pathetic as our SEC record is right now, we are still have a decent chance of making the top 8 for the SEC tourney.

Six teams in the conference have a winning SEC record, while the rest have a losing record. The best team with a losing conference record is LSU at 8-9-1 and UAT is right behind them at 8-10. UK is 7-10-1, UT is 6-10, and both us and UGA are 6-12. We are also in the top 6 in the league with overall wins. So, though it is doubtless we will go far in post season play because of our inconsistency, ruling out the SEC tourney and maybe a regional bid is not out of the question yet. We need to go for the kill when we take the first two games of a series instead of taking the day off on Sundays.

Well, one look at the SEC standings and you can see why it is probably one of if not the toughest baseball conference in the country. As pathetic as our SEC record is right now, we are still have a decent chance of making the top 8 for the SEC tourney.

Six teams in the conference have a winning SEC record, while the rest have a losing record. The best team with a losing conference record is LSU at 8-9-1 and UAT is right behind them at 8-10. UK is 7-10-1, UT is 6-10, and both us and UGA are 6-12. We are also in the top 6 in the league with overall wins. So, though it is doubtless we will go far in post season play because of our inconsistency, ruling out the SEC tourney and maybe a regional bid is not out of the question yet. We need to go for the kill when we take the first two games of a series instead of taking the day off on Sundays.

we didn't quite take the day off today. our first inning pitching just hung us out to dry. i played ball till i was 17, and in all my years of pitching, i was never lit up like that. it has to feel terrible, but you always want to finish out the first inning. i felt for the kid but even i was screaming at slater from my couch to pull him after that hammering. no way to come back after hemorrhaging of that caliber. everyone gets deflated and balls start sailing over heads and rolling under gloves.

this team is talented and CAN do what they need to do to get into either tourney, but we're running way uphill in the next few series. unless the pitching gets nailed down, i don't know how we'll make it through on a positive.

We still beat Alabama this year in baseball...With the exception of one baseball game, isn't that almost total domination in men's sports?

Using bammer logic, we dominated 8/9 innings, so really we won.

we didn't quite take the day off today. our first inning pitching just hung us out to dry. i played ball till i was 17, and in all my years of pitching, i was never lit up like that. it has to feel terrible, but you always want to finish out the first inning. i felt for the kid but even i was screaming at slater from my couch to pull him after that hammering. no way to come back after hemorrhaging of that caliber. everyone gets deflated and balls start sailing over heads and rolling under gloves.

this team is talented and CAN do what they need to do to get into either tourney, but we're running way uphill in the next few series. unless the pitching gets nailed down, i don't know how we'll make it through on a positive.

Well, I played college ball on scholarship as a pitcher and I hate to admit that I have been lit up like that before. I learned some valuable lessons my freshman year and I learned them the hard way. However, the defense made errors that did not help the cause Sunday, so in my opinion both the pitching and defense took the day off. Regardless, it is a team sport and if everything needs to be clicking to win at this level.

My remark about taking the day off on Sundays goes beyond what just happened in the UAT series. It was also a reference to when we had a chance to sweep LSU, but instead got beat 10-1 on Sunday. Makes no sense when you have a chance to sweep a series, but then you get blown out on Sunday.

I know with the American Legion and Dixie Majors teams I have coached, if the team has taken the first two games of a three game set, the guys tend to relax a little too much in that third game if they know they have the three game set locked up. I have to drill in them that we are playing to achieve a certain record, not see how many series we can win. As a college player, I remember Coach Frickie having to remind us of the exact same thing, so I imagine that college players at the Div-1 level are not immune to this either.

Archived